New GoPro Hero 4 firmware...

Reaction score
Probably breaks Solo compatability... :)

HERO4 Black/Silver v04.00.00 | August 18, 2016

HERO4 Black/Silver update v04.00.00

Performance Improvements

• Protune™ improvements:
    • Adds the ability to lock the shutter speed for greater control under different motion and lighting conditions. The Shutter setting is available for videos.
    • Adds additional White Balance settings to allow for finer adjustments when optimizing for cool or warm lighting conditions. Available for videos and photos.
    • Adds additional ISO control settings. Adds additional ISO options, adds the ability to lock the ISO setting for video and set an ISO range for photo capture.
  • Adds additional Bluetooth functionality to support the Works with GoProprogram.
Usability Improvements

• Adds the ability to add/remove HiLight Tags directly from the touchdisplay*
  • Adds the ability to quickly move to the next or previous HiLight Tag in a video*
  • Media filters** add the ability to sort content in the gallery (thumbnail) view by videos or photos so you can find specific content faster. Filters, the slideshow option, and the ability to delete multiple files can be accessed from the Menu icon in gallery view.
General Improvements + Bug Fixes

• Fixes stability with video playback over HDMI
  • Improves time lapse stability and interval accuracy
  • Improves camera and smartphone reconnections
  • Fixes intermittent audio issues with Periscope

Reactions: franknitty69
It is working... but camera does not start when solo is powered on.

It is working... but camera does not start when solo is powered on.
It seems that some have had that problem with 3.XX anyway - and some, like myself, have not.

Did you remove the battery from GoPro after the update, and try again?

This should all be interesting... with this new GP FW update and a new Android Beta App 2.4.X tomorrow... :eek:

Yeap, battery removed, still it does not start when solo is powered on.

Same here. GoPro no longer powers on upon Powering up Solo. I opened a Support ticket. We will see what they say.

No response yet from 3DR. I've also noticed that the display switches to a digitally zoomed/cropped view as soon as I start recording video instead of the full frame view when not recording.

No response yet from 3DR. I've also noticed that the display switches to a digitally zoomed/cropped view as soon as I start recording video instead of the full frame view when not recording.
with GoPro v4 firmware it will not turn on with solo you need to power on your GoPro first.
I've heard a few complaints with the zooming issue I haven't seen it on android but this is related to the GoPro firmware not solo.
Don't expect to get it fixed any time soon

I'm not sure how people expect 3dr to fix what GP broke. GP hasn't even fixed these things in their own sdk (software development kit - for 3rd parties [like 3dr] to use to access the gopro functions). It's unlikely 3DR can even fix these issues until gopro fixes theirs. Don't get upset with 3dr. You guys are the ones who installed unsupported gopro firmware before finding out what the ramifications were. You're dealing with a system of multiple pieces of equipment made by multiple vendors, and it all has to work together. Just updating one piece can break the others - until it's confirmed to all work together. You chose not to wait.

It's kind of like rushing out and installing the latest version of the operating system for your computer - before finding out if device drivers were made for it for all of your existing devices.

I don't think anyone is upset with 3DR. Mainly reporting what we have found with v4.00. I've heard back from Owen at 3DR twice in as many days and have provided them with all the information they've requested. I'm doing some more testing tomorrow with different iOS and android devices. For what it's worth, they seem eager to figure out why it's doing that, even if it is a result of GoPro's latest firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluesgeek
I had a problem with V4.00 firmware, i couldnt take photos or videos with tower app nor solo app.

when i update the gopro i did it manually, through the pc. But after that i update the gopro again to the v4 firmware through the Gopro App and it worked.

Probably breaks Solo compatability... :)

HERO4 Black/Silver v04.00.00 | August 18, 2016

HERO4 Black/Silver update v04.00.00

Performance Improvements

• Protune™ improvements:
    • Adds the ability to lock the shutter speed for greater control under different motion and lighting conditions. The Shutter setting is available for videos.
    • Adds additional White Balance settings to allow for finer adjustments when optimizing for cool or warm lighting conditions. Available for videos and photos.
    • Adds additional ISO control settings. Adds additional ISO options, adds the ability to lock the ISO setting for video and set an ISO range for photo capture.
  • Adds additional Bluetooth functionality to support the Works with GoProprogram.
Usability Improvements

• Adds the ability to add/remove HiLight Tags directly from the touchdisplay*
  • Adds the ability to quickly move to the next or previous HiLight Tag in a video*
  • Media filters** add the ability to sort content in the gallery (thumbnail) view by videos or photos so you can find specific content faster. Filters, the slideshow option, and the ability to delete multiple files can be accessed from the Menu icon in gallery view.
General Improvements + Bug Fixes

• Fixes stability with video playback over HDMI
  • Improves time lapse stability and interval accuracy
  • Improves camera and smartphone reconnections
  • Fixes intermittent audio issues with Periscope
How is this possible to adjust? Is this only done manually due to the app not working?

How is this possible to adjust? Is this only done manually due to the app not working?
How is 'what' possible to adjust? IF you possibly mean that GP no longer powers-on with Solo, then the "adjustment" is to go back to GP FW version 3.x.

How is 'what' possible to adjust? IF you possibly mean that GP no longer powers-on with Solo, then the "adjustment" is to go back to GP FW version 3.x.
Someone mentioned on here about taking multiple photos and changing the ev for the photos but i cant see how to do this in the air with the solo app. Am i missing something here?

Someone mentioned on here about taking multiple photos and changing the ev for the photos but i cant see how to do this in the air with the solo app. Am i missing something here?
Just to be clear... I do NOT have ver 4 installed, but, are you referring to EV or ISO? I know that you can change EV in the new Solex App in the air but you must stop recording to do that.

When morning springs, someone on here who is actually using ver 4 may be able to help. I was merely trying to understand your question - which still isn't entirely clear to me. But someone else can field it later.

Just to be clear... I do NOT have ver 4 installed, but, are you referring to EV or ISO? I know that you can change EV in the new Solex App in the air but you must stop recording to do that.

When morning springs, someone on here who is actually using ver 4 may be able to help. I was merely trying to understand your question - which still isn't entirely clear to me. But someone else can field it later.
Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I can clear some of this up. I have reverted to ver 3. I was referring to the EV setting in flight. This way I can take different photos at a different EV to then merge later in Photoshop or Lightroom. I am running an iOS iphone 6 at the moment.

I just got my 3DR Solo and I have some GoPro questions. Is the camera suppose to automatically turn on when I power on the Solo? By the way just like classic car owners, I named my 3DR, and its name is Han (no shit really did). Anyway, the record button/dot on my screen is grey and doesn't activate the recording status of the camera, how do I control the process for starting and stopping the recording?

Reactions: Matt Garcia
I just got my 3DR Solo and I have some GoPro questions. Is the camera suppose to automatically turn on when I power on the Solo? By the way just like classic car owners, I named my 3DR, and its name is Han (no shit really did). Anyway, the record button/dot on my screen is grey and doesn't activate the recording status of the camera, how do I control the process for starting and stopping the recording?
What model GoPro do you have and what firmware are you running? For all intents and purposes, and no matter what you've read about full GP compatibility, the most 3DR friendly GP, with the max amount of things that go right, is GPH4 Black running FW v 3.0. FW 4.0 defeats auto-on with Solo - and has a few other issues, as well.

Using the GPH4 Silver, with the most updated firmware, just updated. Before I could update my questions, I pulled the battery out of the camera, reinserted the battery and now the record button works. Happy with that. Ok, so I understand that the FW stopped the auto on, cool, just as long as I wasn't pulling my hair out thinking I had faulty equipment. Thanks for the quick response.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo