New Flir Duo

Reaction score
Looking for information on integration of the new Flir Duo camera?
Flir not much help

Thanks for the heads-up on the FLIR Duo. Can't find anything about it anywhere except the FLIR site, even though they say it's retail now. Even YouTube has zero vids that I can find.

Reactions: Stephen jennings
At 160x120 image, this is a non-starter, especially at that price. Maybe around the $500 point, like the FLIR One, but $1000 - $1300 won't cut it. Considering the more full-featured FLIR Vue and Vue Pro are only a few hundred bucks more...

Max...a friend of mine has a Flir View Pro, so I am somewhat familiar with these cameras.

So the 160x120...I'm just wondering what kind of applications would that fall short?

Also, "a few hundred more"...a person would also have to add in the cost of a gimbal for the Flir Vue...I think that's about $250...where most folks can use their existing GoPro gimbals (apparently), with the Duo...so now you're up to about a $750 to $1000 difference?

Also, the Flir web page shows a Phantom lifting the Duo (84 grams), while it probably can't lift the Vue (and it's gimbal).

I mean, yeah, I agree...it's pricey...but I'm wondering, practically speaking, what jobs could the Vue do while the Duo could not?

Thanks...

--

Bill

And...

Will the duo pop into a Solo gimbal?

!!

--

Bill

So the 160x120...I'm just wondering what kind of applications would that fall short?

Also, "a few hundred more"...a person would also have to add in the cost of a gimbal for the Flir Vue...I think that's about $250...where most folks can use their existing GoPro gimbals (apparently), with the Duo...so now you're up to about a $750 to $1000 difference?

Due to the nature of drone flying, a good percentage of drone videography is captured at a distance. That's one of the downsides of the wide angle lenses on the GoPro. A 160x120 image will quickly become a blob when flying at distance. Having said that, matching the visible image with the IR image may compensate by adding composite definition. So I guess I'm not ruling it out. I look forward to seeing user videos on YouTube. I may be pleasantly surprised. And for flight with the Solo, you are correct on the added costs of peripherals. But your second posting was an excellent point; if it will not fit the Solo gimbal, then you are looking at those added costs you referred to in your first post anyway. Most of my aerial video drones are scratch-built and would adopt the FLIR Vue with almost no mods.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
my bad here it is again! here's some footage on a quad. still along way off in usable resolution for the price tag.

The Flir Vue Pro doesn't have MSX though, right? One might argue that MSX makes up for the lack of thermal resolution...

And...

Will the duo pop into a Solo gimbal?
I have read on the Internet (so it must be true) that GP will not license their code for the GP Bus (rear connector), so if the FLIR physically fit the gimbal with a rear spacer, you still wouldn't have camera control.

ETA: Solo’s Camera Potential

Last edited:
The Flir Vue Pro doesn't have MSX though, right? One might argue that MSX makes up for the lack of thermal resolution...

Here's a video comparison of the Duo and the Vue Pro. The Duo image is about as I expected.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

One positive of the Duo R is that it incorporates radiometrics, which may be a useful tool. In some of the footage that's coming out the MSX composite video can actually be pretty good, but the reviewers also qualify that due to the parallax of the side-by-side cameras, the overlay of standard video over the thermal image tends to get out of sync. The R version is around $300 more than the standard Duo. The Vue Pro that has radiometrics is over $3K. And as far as I can see, the Vue cameras do not have MSX.

Looking for information on integration of the new Flir Duo camera?
Flir not much help
Autel will have the FLIR dual camera on their new X-Star in 2017. Bo Lorentzen just showed it at the CES Vegas show.

Here's a video comparison of the Duo and the Vue Pro. The Duo image is about as I expected.
So from a search and rescue perspective, which camera would give me the best view of identifying an injured rock climber who has fallen into the crags of some 300' rocky fins (known as the Garden of the Gods in Colo. Spgs.) If I can get heat signature on the victim, being able to switch to visual to assess injuries would be a great benefit to our rescuers to carry the proper equipment to extricate them from the scene.

My experiments with Flir One on a Solo. A FLIR Vue Pro R is the exact thing, but I have a customer that wants cheap and fast. So...
  1. Mounted on accessory bay with IMP camera mount with extension lightning cable. The form factor with rounded corners is a b**ch.
  2. Velco a decommissioned IPhone on top of Battery. (not as neat as I want...)
  3. GoPro knock-off on static mount on front gimbal.
  4. 10 meters above flat roof.
  5. Fly between sunset and legal last light.
  6. Set up while visible light with Solex to fly a simple cable and geo-fence.
  7. Getting ready to affix a neopixel LED light bar as well for the go-pro knockoff.
Cons.
No video stream from Flir One. Possible if I want to mount a Rpi zero and ESP6266 to a laptop/tablet (I know there are other workarounds) Am thinking about either Arduino BluFruit feather, a HUZZAH board, an NCU ESP8266 LUA board. etc) The Iphone can stream some video but...

Line of sight visual observer from ground has to be sufficiently removed from vertical walls to observe the entire flight. Binoculars and yelling to pilot.

The ASTM standard for thermal roof inspection is very specific. Not sure I can totally comply without an FAA night flight. And the temperature shifts for accurate leak detection imply flying when rather cold outside. It is damn cold to futz with all of this extra gear.

Last edited:
So from a search and rescue perspective, which camera would give me the best view of identifying an injured rock climber who has fallen into the crags of some 300' rocky fins (known as the Garden of the Gods in Colo. Spgs.) If I can get heat signature on the victim, being able to switch to visual to assess injuries would be a great benefit to our rescuers to carry the proper equipment to extricate them from the scene.

In my opinion, the Vue or Vue pro will perform much better. Faster FPS rate and much better definition. It's just that they cost hundreds to thousands more. And I love Garden of the Gods. My ex lives in Colorado Springs. <:-o

hello, I had bouth the flir due r camera for 3dr solo whitout gimbal, I don't Know how conectted it, i am looking for videos but I am lost.

do you think to buy a tarot 3d gimbal metal for 3 dr is ok?

thanks

helle andrew,
but what solution can I give.
in some youtube videos you can watch the flights but I have not found anyone to explain how to connect to 3dr, there is a very good video but it is with a phanton 2 and gimbal zemuse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc