My homework assignment

Reaction score
Early morning fog yesterday.

Before you say it... Yes.... All the lens flares are on purpose :)

I have a director that is currently enthralled with JJ Abrams, and he uses lens flares a lot... I tried to get different variations in each shot to show him what was feasible. The trick is to get the flare, and not wash out the whole scene. Even harder with fog as it wants to wash everything out in bright light anyway..

But if we wanted easy, we wouldn't be filming with UAV's right?.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Best Viewed in 1080P

Last edited:
wow O_O freaking cinematic! i am sure if collin see this it might posted in 3drobotics official site

Last edited:
Reactions: Earldgrayjr
That is awesome. Ever since I got this thing I have been waiting for fog so I can get some similar shots.

Some questions: When you say "lens flare," did you use a special filter, or does that happen naturally? Is there a way to stop it or enhance it?

Lens flare is a funny thing. It shows up more on cheap lenses, as they refract the light and it bounces around inside the lens more. Numerous ways to get rid of it, from not pointing directly into bright light :) to high quality lenses, to sun hoods, polarizers, removing filters, ND filters, and software.

The funny thing is that people worked to get rid of it for decades, and largely have found ways to do that, but they started adding it in video games for realism and perspective, and recently several feature directors have taken pains to get it back in films for the same reason. Now its "a thing"

When he first approached me with the request I was shaking my head, but I did some research, and he was right...

Lens flare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
i saw also in youtube very nice footage too

I have a director that is currently enthralled with JJ Abrams, and he uses lens flares a lot... I tried to get different variations in each shot to show him what was feasible. The trick is to get the flare, and not wash out the whole scene. Even harder with fog as it wants to wash everything out in bright light anyway..

Best Viewed in 1080P
Nice! What is possible with this tool in the right hands. Very nice.

Best Viewed in 1080P
Very Nice Earl!

Really cloudy here but maybe it will clear up. Wishing for rain as I have about $600 worth of grass seed down so will take it either way. Thanks for the tip !

Well done earl, I'm a newbie and not by any means a "real" photographer or videographer, camping at a park in Iowa had a nice opportunity to get some nice footage of fog over the lake here a few mornings back but opted to get to work on time. Should have got the video...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44