My first few flights debrief ...

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've done a couple of flights and I'm very happy with my solo. I had some trouble to get started but I think now all is OK.

I have a question regarding range ... I haven't been able to go above 160 feet and further than 400 feet out ... which sound super low.

I already know that I will, at some point, buy an FPVLR antenna, but at the moment, what do you think of these figures?

Of course I'm in a area super crowded with WIFIs and other signals (see pic attached) so that's probably one of the reasons, but still those numbers seem far from what other people get.

Thoughts?

Geeum

GOPR0919.jpg

Guillaume,

The best range out I've had was 1340' with stock antennas. That also was in the suburbs at a nearby park. I did have my altitude limit set @ 205' and was able to see SOLO in the distance due to a blue sky.

160'? That might just be in your settings in the 3DR app. Check the SOLO manual for how to change attitude limit.

I too had struggles the first few flights. My wife teased me a bit at how slow I was, but now she mentions how quickly the bird is off the ground. It won't take long and you'll be streamlining your set up time too.

All the best

Also make sure your antennas are in the correct position, as per the Solo manual. I tried different positions on the antennas as a test, and the position recommended by 3DR is the best. I got out 1550 ft. with the stock antennas, and could have gone a bit further. That was in a very low wifi area. You will really like the FPVLR setup when you get it. Good luck, and safe flying.

I am getting 2000 stock with mine in a neighborhood
but I can imagine around apartments wifi would have to be even worse
download wifi analyzer that will give you an idea what the sololynk network is competing with

Reactions: J R and erikgraham
Alright, so I tested a few things in less congested areas, and wow, what an improvement.
Next step: FPVLR. Speaking of which, is this plug & play? Is there a good resource on this forum, like a start guide? typing FPVLR in the search brings too many results lol ..

Thanks!

Also, Guilluame, remember that the FPVLR antennas are directional, so you need to keep them pointed towards Solo when flying. You are going to be very pleased with them.

Awesome, thanks! I got a bit confused because on FPVLR's site, they sell batteries and chargers but I guess that's for other products.

I'll buy my FPVLR this week and report back.

Again, thanks everyone for being sohelpful!

Guillaume

Also, Guilluame, remember that the FPVLR antennas are directional, so you need to keep them pointed towards Solo when flying. You are going to be very pleased with them.

Yes, I read that. However, what happens if there's no line of sight anymore (apart the fact that it's illegal)? For instance, let's say I take off from a valley, then go past a hill (or trees), and then the drone is behind that ...

I think depending on how obstructed you are, the FPVLR will work better than stock. At least it does for me. I think if there is something constantly between you and Solo, then there might be a problem. Just remember to always check your settings as they pertain to your flying area. An example would be to make sure your RTH altitude is set high enough to clear any obstacles in the area you are flying in.

Ok, thanks Chuck!

I haven't experimented much with settings yet, but now that I'm more used to flying the solo, it's time for me to go in there ...

guillaume

Just take your time and learn about the settings, and how your Solo reacts to the changes you make, and don't try something your gut feels uncomfortable with....:D. Mine tells me once in awhile when I want to push it a bit farther than I should. Good luck, and safe flying.

Yes, I read that. However, what happens if there's no line of sight anymore (apart the fact that it's illegal)? For instance, let's say I take off from a valley, then go past a hill (or trees), and then the drone is behind that ...

Even with FPVLR, I wouldn't feel comfortable flying any scenario where the signal from antennae to vehicle is obstructed, for me because of the money I invested into it. Short and manageable missions for me. Even, once I start using Tower. My feelings on the matter could change, for example, if I'm sponsored and costs aren't an issue. lol

Got it.
Also, what's Tower? I can see it's an android app but how do people on apple devices get on it? Is it worth it?

Got it.
Also, what's Tower? I can see it's an android app but how do people on apple devices get on it? Is it worth it?
Tower is free mission planning software from 3DR Robotics. Only available for Android OS. It's not so much a question of worth but, a question of need. And if you have a project where you need to conduct an autonomous flight for "surveying" purposes then, the answer is, yes, it's worth it. But, if you're just flying on a casual basis for video scenery then, the question ultimately is, do you want to control the flight or have the software do it all? I think most pilots in this category, me included, they'll want to enjoy piloting the solo. However, I have a volunteer project and for this case, Tower is what I need to use.

OK, thanks. I don't need it now, but I wish there was an apple version so I could play with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks