mRobotics GPS receiver installed

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I installed the mRobotics GPS receiver module board today. Got everything put back together fired it up and quickly got 19 satellites LOL. Is that about par for the course? I don't know if that's gonna make a lot of difference but at least I have a lot of off the planet birds helping the Solo.

Sounds about right. Might climb to 21 once you start flying.
I'm new to the Solo. I saw some videos of people putting a piece of cardboard between the connector side of the module in the original copper foil shield shield. What's the purpose of that? Also is the GPS shield version 2 a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm new to the Solo. I saw some videos of people putting a piece of cardboard between the connector side of the module in the original copper foil shield shield. What's the purpose of that? Also is the GPS shield version 2 a worthwhile upgrade.
The cardboard was supposed to improve the performance of the GPS- some said it did, others said it didn't.

If you continue to get enough satellites, quickly, and you don't have problems with GPS accuracy or losing lock, then you shouldn't need the shield. The shield came about to fix the performance of the stock GPS unit that came with Solo.

I would not bother with the cardboard. But, I did go with the v2 of the shield with the Mro. Can't be too careful!

I would not bother with the cardboard. But, I did go with the v2 of the shield with the Mro. Can't be too careful!
I've installed the shield. I get 14 sats routinely and haven't had THAT problem *knocks on wood*. I've considered the Mro GPS but am holding off until I'm out of warranty.

More that is needed to look at is your hdop .4 to .8 is what you like to see. Hdop is the where your accuracy comes in.

Reactions: Maxheadspace
More that is needed to look at is your hdop .4 to .8 is what you like to see. Hdop is the where your accuracy comes in.

Ah I smell what you're simmering! Thanks, I'll check that out. I honestly don't know but so far that's been golden, *knocks on wood*

Reactions: 3drFlyer75
The norm is usually a .6 where I fly. I have also got as many as 22 sats .

Where do you find hdop? I routinely get 9 ~ 13 satellties! SOLO is flying just find - will occasionally lost signal & SOLO "returns home" even after signal is recovered !

The Solo will assume the GPS signal is "bad" if the number of satellites drops below a certain value or if the HDOP rises above a preset number. Assuming the Solo has a good controller signal it will switch to Altitude Hold mode and drift with the wind. Whenever Solo decides to return to home, that is due to a lost signal from the controller, and has nothing to do with GPS.
You can see the HDOP if you touch the top line of data in the app to expand it. I think it will wait for an HDOP below 2.0 before allowing you to arm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986