MRobotics GPS mod and 3DR Shield

Reaction score
Okay, anyone that's read any of my comments knows I'm not a Solo fan boy. However, this GPS mod is bringing me around! 25 sats and .5 HDOP in around a minute. Completely stable hover and pin point return to home. Best $100 I've spent in a long time. I completely suggest this mod to anyone.

Speaking of mods, *drum roll* I now have more $$$ in mods than I do in the drone itself! Hahaha!

Reactions: ap-007007
While i didn't have much of a issue with the stock GPS, I have mRO and find it very stable.

Note that the mRO does use the US and Russian systems. It appears that you can get a fix with one set while the other has not yet finished (perhaps the two systems are solved independently, then combined). That means your sat count can be high, but HDOP is not low. Once that second system soliton is found, very low HDOP. The mRO gets a fix very fast so this does not happen often--mostly when starting up after being off for a week, or moving a large distance since last fix.

Pure speculation, we only have sat count and HDOP displayed.

Does anyone happen to know how the the 3DR RevB GPS with the 3DR Shield compare with mRo on its own?

Does anyone happen to know how the the 3DR RevB GPS with the 3DR Shield compare with mRo on its own?

I had the "b" board with a shield and really didn't have any "problems" (12-13 sats) but thought I'd try this mod due to all of the positive reviews. I'm very happy that I did!

The Rev A and Rev B GPS boards can only receive the US GPS constellation signals. The M8N chipset can receive most if not all GPS systems data based on firmware settings.

Thanks Andrew. When you say firmware settings, which settings are you referring to? Can these settings be accessed and set by any of the Solo apps (e.g., Solo, Solex, etc.)?

Thanks Andrew. When you say firmware settings, which settings are you referring to? Can these settings be accessed and set by any of the Solo apps (e.g., Solo, Solex, etc.)?

No, the Solo app can't touch the firmware in the GPS. The firmware can only be assessed by using a software loader provided by the chipset manufacturer.

So the question is, once installed on the Solo do I have to do anything to insure that the GPS can access all of the satellites (i.e., both the US based satellites and the Russian GLONASS satellites)?

Just to help with your your original question, I had a Rev B that was working fine, still got reasonably quick fixes without any modifications (ie with the copper shield). Even when compared to the 'good' RevB performing well, the mRobotics made a huge difference to the speed and HDOP and as Lon says my confidence in the stability of the fix. I put the V2 shield in at the same time as the mRobotics as it seemed sensible to take the opportunity for the small - now smaller :) - extra cost.

Thank you all for this info. I ended buying the RevB for my extra Solo a week a go to keep the cost down and was trying to find out if I made the right decision. I'll purchase the 3DR Shield (since it's now fairly cheap) to be on the safe side and see how I make out. Again, many thanks to all for taking the time to respond. Not to sound corny, but I is sincerely appreciated.

Thank you all for this info. I ended buying the RevB for my extra Solo a week a go to keep the cost down and was trying to find out if I made the right decision. I'll purchase the 3DR Shield (since it's now fairly cheap) to be on the safe side and see how I make out. Again, many thanks to all for taking the time to respond. Not to sound corny, but I is sincerely appreciated.

Not to sound even more corny, that should be the point of this forum...you're honestly welcome.

I also had the Rev B board but wanted to reduce my chances of a fly away. So I picked up the mRo. I too was getting 12-15 SATs on Rev B and now I'm pulling in 22-25 within a minute most times. Also check Etsy for someone making a gps shield, gimbal storage stabilizer and extended legs for the solo. $30 + shipping! Haven't flown with those yet. So far great quality.

I also had the Rev B board but wanted to reduce my chances of a fly away. So I picked up the mRo. I too was getting 12-15 SATs on Rev B and now I'm pulling in 22-25 within a minute most times. Also check Etsy for someone making a gps shield, gimbal storage stabilizer and extended legs for the solo. $30 + shipping! Haven't flown with those yet. So far great quality.

Thanks for the advice and the tip on the Etsy site; I hadn't heard of this site.

Reactions: Krs821

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc