mRo M8N Installation best practice

Reaction score
Is there a consensus on how to install the M8N, specifically in regards to shielding? MRO recommends using cardboard with the original shield, but other install videos do not use cardboard. Is it recommended to use the "upgraded" shield from 3DR? Or is a 3D printed shield with copper tape the best bet?

I have the M8N but it is losing GPS from time to time, and I would like to have the best GPS setup possible.

It's my understanding from posts elsewhere that the M8N will function fine without a shield of any kind. I put the original copper one back in as-was when I updated the GPS. You can download a GPS app to see how many birds are visible and compare that with what Solo sees. I will say that letting the Solo sit for an extended period, 15 minutes or maybe more after first installation outside with a clear view of the sky seemed to help the GPS stability. I presume it takes a while for the GPS to sort and memorize its position initially. I also had to do a level cal once it settled down. For the time being, I've been giving Solo some time pre-flight to normalize. Personal confidence thing. There's been a few times it's gone from Fly to Acquiring Position back to Fly, pre-flight, then been stable afterwards.

I strongly recommend you use the V2 or original cooper RF shielding. If using the copper shielding you should also use something non conductive to create an air gap between the shielding and the GPS electronics (aka cardboard mod). I used a 3D printed spacer from Thingiverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's my understanding from posts elsewhere that the M8N will function fine without a shield of any kind. I put the original copper one back in as-was when I updated the GPS. You can download a GPS app to see how many birds are visible and compare that with what Solo sees. I will say that letting the Solo sit for an extended period, 15 minutes or maybe more after first installation outside with a clear view of the sky seemed to help the GPS stability. I presume it takes a while for the GPS to sort and memorize its position initially. I also had to do a level cal once it settled down. For the time being, I've been giving Solo some time pre-flight to normalize. Personal confidence thing. There's been a few times it's gone from Fly to Acquiring Position back to Fly, pre-flight, then been stable afterwards.

Can you recommend a good GPS app? Dan

what I used was a lid to an old Gladware container..similar to a tupperware lid. Cut it out to fit, and placed it between the mRO and the original copper shielding. Works fine for me.
I flew my primary solo this weekend with a wide open view of the sky. I had never been to this location. I had 20 sats locked within a minute and positional hold was very rock solid.
I didn't have time to test out my secondary solo that has a Rev B GPS only unit, but next time I will try it out and see about filming both solo's in the air next to each other and see how positional hold looks in real time between them. Just curious really.

Reactions: MCSPDX
...I have the M8N but it is losing GPS from time to time, and I would like to have the best GPS setup possible.

I experimented with m8n vs Rev B with 3dr V2 shields. My experience is that m8n acquires more satellites slightly more quickly than Rev B. However, it loses all satellites and disconnects just as frequently (or infrequently depending on your point of view). I mention this because I wanted the same thing, a rock solid gps connection that never falters and I am not sure it's possible without rigging an exterior mast.

Hey there!
I've posted this before but it might be handy for you to check out... I have the V2 Shield from 3DR on my bird, as well as the M8N. In this video I install the mRobotics Neo-M8N GPS and I slightly modify the shield to fit (slight cut for the position of the connector). I consistently have 17-20 satellites with HDOP below 1 typically .6-.7.

Hope this helps:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I experimented with m8n vs Rev B with 3dr V2 shields. My experience is that m8n acquires more satellites slightly more quickly than Rev B. However, it loses all satellites and disconnects just as frequently (or infrequently depending on your point of view). I mention this because I wanted the same thing, a rock solid gps connection that never falters and I am not sure it's possible without rigging an exterior mast.
take a real close look at your cable, my rev B or M8N have never lost GPS unobstructed. You might have a questionable connection. Unless of course you are losing in obstructed skies

Hey there!
I've posted this before but it might be handy for you to check out... I have the V2 Shield from 3DR on my bird, as well as the M8N. In this video I install the mRobotics Neo-M8N GPS and I slightly modify the shield to fit (slight cut for the position of the connector). I consistently have 17-20 satellites with HDOP below 1 typically .6-.7.

I did some fooling around with it today. I have the V2 shield, but also added copper tape on the bottom with kapton tape on the bottom of that, to insulate from the GPS board. Its too windy to fly today, but the GPS did pick up much quicker than before to 17 sats/.7 HDOP, which I rarely saw before. A good sign, but the flight testing will have to wait.

I have a 3d printer that I just 3d printed a shield with the new mRo GPS. I've had as many as 22 sats during some flights. Love the better reception and quicker time to lock.

I did numerous testing with different copper shields and the V2 3DR shield.
The 3DR V2 material used beats every copper due to a much better attenuation and dampening of EMI noise.
Spend the 30 bucks extra, it's absolutely worth it. Even the Rev A board performs flawlessly with it.

No need for masts or other awkward constructions for your GPS and no need for spacers, or insulation since the 3DR V2 material is non conducive.

Reactions: mowind
yes.. the 3DR V2 shield is a 3M product. absorbs the specific frequencies apparently

Very interesting post. I just spoke to MRO and asked about the Install video they linked to. I was told the video needs to be updated as there chip is shielded now and no longer needs a cardboard piece inserted. I was told it will not hurt anything to do so but all you really need is the Copper shield reinstalled after doing the upgrade. Also worth noting when first installing take the Drone out in an open space with preferably no clouds so the whole almanac etc can get a complete initial update before flying. So no need for a v2 shield, just reuse the copper one and you are good to go. There was some talk also about certain GoPro cams that were made that could interfere with the GPS which would require more shielding. I did not get into what type or where to place the shielding.
Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Reactions: FinniKris
I did numerous testing with different copper shields and the V2 3DR shield.
The 3DR V2 material used beats every copper due to a much better attenuation and dampening of EMI noise.
Spend the 30 bucks extra, it's absolutely worth it. Even the Rev A board performs flawlessly with it.

No need for masts or other awkward constructions for your GPS and no need for spacers, or insulation since the 3DR V2 material is non conducive.
But the material is not available except Ebay at an exaggerated cost.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea