Not yet. Just reading all the great info here first but I thought instead of removing the red, blue and black wires from the board to the motor just adding bullet connectors there.

Not really enough space under/around the pod frame to stuff more....stuff.
Gotcha. I guess that's something the pictures at the beginning didn't do justice for until I dig in. Exactly how tight that space is. Thanks for all you and everyone has contributed to this post! Makes my new experience less intimidating. [emoji106]

Looks like the 2216-12 (800 kv) has been discontinued.
I found a couple on eBay but that's it.

Anybody else have a current source?

My problem has been locating the prop adapters, not interested in TBS ones....

There is a private labeled version of the T-Motor, sells under the name Lumenier. Not sure of the quality, but looks identical. Also Emax, DJI and even SunnySky offers a 2216 series in ~800kv

Wonder if a group buy could be put together. I'd buy another set of motors and prop adapters if T-Motor with V3 bearings....

Just curious why don't you like the TBS?
I almost bought the PAs from them and then backed out at the last moment, they were shipping from Taiwan I believe. Just got a bad juju feeling about the website for whatever reason. Just one of those things I guess.

They are just private labeled T-Motor PAs, so it wasn't a quality issue...

Reactions: pyrate
1100 kv motors are going to be way to high speed and under powered for the solo. 800-900kv is where you should be looking

Has there been a real consensus or agreement on Props & Motors Combos that possibly increase flight time?
Slower the better for myself & other Photographers & Videographers

I use the word “possibly” cause besides atmospheric difference, operator’s flight habits also have a significant impact on flight time.

I only ask here, cause of unbiased & experienced members opinions.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo Keith
This forum rocks! Brand new this summer 3dr owner and a pilot that fly’s/films exclusively over the scenic St Croix River Valley & Mississippi River. I have two birds and second one recently purchased at BB as a refurb. Flying it this weekend approximately 150’ out over the river on a dead calm day and had a motor failure. Bird began to scream with a bad bearing and radio lost connectivity almost immediately. RTH kicked in on the dang thing went up to my RTH setting came back to my boat and slowly landed itself onto my awaiting hand. (Yes that was stupid but @ in the moment not real clear thinking was taking place) The radio never re-stablished connection even though it was going through a very very slow decent from 300’ up. Yep I was lucky as crap as I was flying my new GOPRO & Gimbal. GPS MRO upgrade apparently was money well spent as bow on my cruiser is not huge J After I got it home I could not get transmitter to re-establish connection with drone. I tried pairing it and a factory reset & no worky.

In my situation I as I just got it three weeks back I brought it back to BB and refunded it and got new one this time Learned a couple things. Motors need to be upgraded per this thread or stock motors need to be better cared for/paid attention to. Wondering why solo lost connection with my radio when motor bearing went? (Frustrating as I could have gotten her back a lot quicker if that worked J) Not that I am an expert but my cheap china DJI knock off flew for many many hours without motor issue. These bigger motors on heavier drone need to be better! I would be super pissed if I paid full ticket price. I simply don’t know how you go this far with a bad ass drone/app and skimp on the GPS and Motors. These are incredible drones for the price (NOW) but come on 3dr what are you thinking? Yes I will be buying motors noted in this thread and a cheap donor drone and will attempt to push my soldering skills. I am also going to drip some of the bearing oil and pay much much closer attention to the feel of the motors. In the interim GP will be flying in waterproof case NO gimbal with the rod shooter float deal (That I just read about last week did I say this forum rocks?!) It could be I simply got a lemon the refurb was brand new looking with all sticks etc.. but wondering do we trust the stock motors or do we not? I know GPS is no but does this apply to motors as well?

This forum rocks! Brand new this summer 3dr owner and a pilot that fly’s/films exclusively over the scenic St Croix River Valley & Mississippi River. I have two birds and second one recently purchased at BB as a refurb. Flying it this weekend approximately 150’ out over the river on a dead calm day and had a motor failure. Bird began to scream with a bad bearing and radio lost connectivity almost immediately. RTH kicked in on the dang thing went up to my RTH setting came back to my boat and slowly landed itself onto my awaiting hand. (Yes that was stupid but @ in the moment not real clear thinking was taking place) The radio never re-stablished connection even though it was going through a very very slow decent from 300’ up. Yep I was lucky as crap as I was flying my new GOPRO & Gimbal. GPS MRO upgrade apparently was money well spent as bow on my cruiser is not huge J After I got it home I could not get transmitter to re-establish connection with drone. I tried pairing it and a factory reset & no worky.

In my situation I as I just got it three weeks back I brought it back to BB and refunded it and got new one this time Learned a couple things. Motors need to be upgraded per this thread or stock motors need to be better cared for/paid attention to. Wondering why solo lost connection with my radio when motor bearing went? (Frustrating as I could have gotten her back a lot quicker if that worked J) Not that I am an expert but my cheap china DJI knock off flew for many many hours without motor issue. These bigger motors on heavier drone need to be better! I would be super pissed if I paid full ticket price. I simply don’t know how you go this far with a bad ass drone/app and skimp on the GPS and Motors. These are incredible drones for the price (NOW) but come on 3dr what are you thinking? Yes I will be buying motors noted in this thread and a cheap donor drone and will attempt to push my soldering skills. I am also going to drip some of the bearing oil and pay much much closer attention to the feel of the motors. In the interim GP will be flying in waterproof case NO gimbal with the rod shooter float deal (That I just read about last week did I say this forum rocks?!) It could be I simply got a lemon the refurb was brand new looking with all sticks etc.. but wondering do we trust the stock motors or do we not? I know GPS is no but does this apply to motors as well?

Sounds like you did get pretty lucky on your boat recovery. Seems very strange that you had a radio issue at the same time as the motor bearing squeal. The only thing I can guess is the failed bearing caused a vibration that affected the radio. You might have a loose connection inside Solo.
As for the motors, I have had very good success with the stock ones. I do use just a drop of synthetic skateboard oil in each of the top and bottom motor bearings about every 25 hours. I also try not to fly directly off the dirt (I have a heavy rubber door mat I place on the ground in the field) to minimize dirt in the motors. Between my three flying Solos I have about 100 flight hours (according to Solex) with the high time one just below 50 hours. I do not plan on upgrading my motors because I'm happy with the performance and quality of the stock ones.
As I recall, 3DR expected a lifespan of about 150 hours for the stock motors.

You should set your RTH altitude to be a few meters higher than the highest obstacle in the area you're flying. 300ft is a huge waste of time and battery power. For example, mine is 150 feet which ensures I will always clear the trees on the hill next to my usual takeoff area.

A simultaneous motor bearing failure and computer failure seems unlikely to be a coincidence. But since it has already been returned, that will remain a thankfully rare mystery.

Has there been a real consensus or agreement on Props & Motors Combos that possibly increase flight time?
Slower the better for myself & other Photographers & Videographers

I use the word “possibly” cause besides atmospheric difference, operator’s flight habits also have a significant impact on flight time.

I only ask here, cause of unbiased & experienced members opinions.
Stevo - I'm not aware of any dramatic improvements in flight time by anyone upgrading the motors and props in a stock body. I know Robby and Jubal fly the APC 11x4.5 and both have indicated increased flight time. But for you and me, sea level flyers, the 11's would be straining the motors torque wise with our denser air. Not saying it won't work and be fine, but it does seem it is more prop than the motors can handle. Again me fly with the 800kv motors, 900kv I assume would struggle even more....fwiw.

Happy to be corrected, just what I recall over the last two years...

Reactions: SteveReno
In case anyone needs them.... SunnySky X22 series prop adapters. These fit X2208, X2212 and X2216 series SunnySky motors... these are the same prop adapters I used on my SunnySky X2216 880KV II / Stock Solo Motor swap. These adapters work with both the stock 3DR Solo props and Master AirScrew MR props for Solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela