I think he meant 900KV motor, happy fingered an extra 9....

I'm no expert on choosing motor/prop combos. But what I do understand is KV relates to RPM and I'm fairly certain higher rpm (less torgue) would be an issue.....with Solo's weight and the default prop sizing of 1045.

With regards to the Aeronaut prop testing, @RolandS888 tested motors and props he had on hand. It's unlikely he will be doing any further testing for our benefit, as he has moved on to another platform.. So without someone with test equipment and test parts it's just not going to happen.

10 months of flying with the T-Motors on Solo, I am very pleased with how they have performed. The larger shaft and EZO bearings are the key in my opinion. Just everything about the MT series motors is first class, well worth the money spent to upgrade.

The kV rating is rotations per minute per volt unloaded. A 900kv motor with 1 volt applied will rotate at 900rpm. Therefore, a 900kv motor with 16.8 volts applied (like a fully charged solo) will be 15,120rpm. This unloaded, meaning without props. The lower kV ratings are generally also much larger motors with much higher torque. They rotate slower, but have a lot more power behind them. These are for turning much larger props. Typically on your heavy lift, long duration birds.

Reactions: nightram
Thank you for the amazing instructions. I bought and installed the 800kv T Motors and I am very impressed. For the sake of playing around with odd prop combinations I have done some testing.

The testing I did is not extremely accurate because I was flying without any kind of payload. You might find the flight times interesting. All tests were conducted hovering at 10 feet with no movement.

T Motors 2216 800KV

No Payload

APC 10 X 3.8 SF - 19:13
APC 10 X 4.5 MR - 20:13
T Motor CF 10 X 3.3 - 19:07

Reactions: Gren and RichWest
My first post here. Regarding with replacing the motors, I notice that the original ESC is still retained. Is it possible to discard the original ESC and use a generic combination of motor+ESC ?. If yes, has anybody ever try that and in what combination ?.

Thank you for the amazing instructions. I bought and installed the 800kv T Motors and I am very impressed. For the sake of playing around with odd prop combinations I have done some testing.

The testing I did is not extremely accurate because I was flying without any kind of payload. You might find the flight times interesting. All tests were conducted hovering at 10 feet with no movement.

T Motors 2216 800KV

No Payload

APC 10 X 3.8 SF - 19:13
APC 10 X 4.5 MR - 20:13
T Motor CF 10 X 3.3 - 19:07
Remember, with the T-Motor upgrade you can also swing a larger prop. I settled on the APC 11x4.5 and have been using them for the last year or so.

Wow! what a long thread. I got to page 11, and jumper to the end. In case it hasn't been mentioned, I got some of these props, and I like them a lot! Also, they come in a nice draw string bag, very professional. They also have a unique shape to them, with a slight turn up on the tips, sorta like the tips of some jet airplanes. Something to do with turbulence.
3DR Solo Propeller Upgrade - Master Airscrew

those props are interesting, but without some real test to show they are better I plan to stick with my APCs and Stocks

@tuesday I'm about to undertake the motor mod on one of my birds and was curious. I am looking at those props (same dealer I'm buying the motors from) they are a lot of money but have you had any issues with them. Even though they look like works of art and are expensive I've read really negative reviews of t motor props being really badly balanced out of the box. Only asking as these are the props i would really like. Any thoughts, Darren

Last edited:
@tuesday I'm about to undertake the motor mod on one of my birds and was curious. I am looking at those props (same dealer I'm buying the motors from) they are a lot of money but have you had any issues with them. Even though they look like works of art and are expensive I've read really negative reviews of t motor props being really badly balanced out of the box. Only asking as these are the props i would really like. Any thoughts, Darren
balance your props anyways. does it matter if they come balanced or not?

dml931 I know you are totally right, just read mixed reviews of the props. But yes you are right. Thanks Darren

Reactions: dml931
dml931 I know you are totally right, just read mixed reviews of the props. But yes you are right. Thanks Darren
if the reviews state the pitch is off, or they disintegrate in flight, then id be concerned about that purchase and likely wouldnt make it. But if the complaints you're reading are that they dont come balanced from the factory, then id ignore those reviews completely UNLESS the manufacture is promising a balanced prop out of box.

I hope my initial response wasnt taken harshly as it wasnt intended that way, and after re-reading it i decided to follow up with this, but we should all be balancing the props and motors before flight anyways. its just kinda part of the maintenance schedule to help prevent motor failures.

dml931 thank you for the concern, and no your response wasn't harsh. I have a rev a and rev b that both have mRo 8 GPS mods, running FPVLR. I'm in the UK and currently studying for my PfCO CAA (fly UAV's commercially) and it's scary shit! Just want one of the birds as good as i can get it for the exam, I'm terrified of a stock motor fail. Once again buddy your response wasn't harsh, I have to do so many preflight and postflight checks and then de briefs, flight logs, NOTAMS.... I think it would be easier to qualify as an airline pilot. Don't know how you're doing in Ohio but haven't been able to fly here for 3 weeks and today started properly dumping.....GGG grrrr

dml931 thank you for the concern, and no your response wasn't harsh. I have a rev a and rev b that both have mRo 8 GPS mods, running FPVLR. I'm in the UK and currently studying for my PfCO CAA (fly UAV's commercially) and it's scary shit! Just want one of the birds as good as i can get it for the exam, I'm terrified of a stock motor fail. Once again buddy your response wasn't harsh, I have to do so many preflight and postflight checks and then de briefs, flight logs, NOTAMS.... I think it would be easier to qualify as an airline pilot. Don't know how you're doing in Ohio but haven't been able to fly here for 3 weeks and today started properly dumping.....GGG grrrr

good to know i wasn't mis-taken. If you've upgraded both gps cards to the mRo one, you no longer have Rev A or Rev B as thats referring to the stock GPS card FYI.

The weather here in ohio has not been very favorable for flying so we've been in the same boat recently. im hoping this weekend is different. ;)

Sorry I still refer to them as rev a and rev b, what I should say is my old and new one

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela