Motor Pod tear down

@Earldgrayjr - I assume this video is your production. Thanks for detailing all the components, it should be a helpful resource in the future for many.

Regarding the Mosfet replacement, is it typically a successful repair? I've always been curious if the motor windings are stressed by an ESC failure due to over heating.

@Earldgrayjr - I assume this video is your production. Thanks for detailing all the components, it should be a helpful resource in the future for many.

Regarding the Mosfet replacement, is it typically a successful repair? I've always been curious if the motor windings are stressed by an ESC failure due to over heating.

No...No... No.... Not my production... I WISH I had that much time :)

Just passing information along that I thought was useful. My experience is that most times the insulation on the windings gets burned due to heat, which causes them to short, andthat is typically the reason the MOSFET goes, which means you also have to replace the motor. That said, you should be able to easily check resistance through the motor.

This likely won't be needed later as the pods are only 60 bucks, and are up on the 3DR site now (though not shipping) but in the interim, you "could" replace the MOSFET's and the motors yourself with a little skill and a decent soldering iron.

Thanks for this! It looks like Groom Lake is offering a repair service too, that's good to know.

I sure wish they would lower the volume on the music in their videos and allow the voice to be a little louder, other than that, they seem to do a good job. (my critical review).

Thanks for this! It looks like Groom Lake is offering a repair service too, that's good to know.

I sure wish they would lower the volume on the music in their videos and allow the voice to be a little louder, other than that, they seem to do a good job. (my critical review).
Go like their Youtube and make the suggestion. They seem to be good people. I suggested the motor teardown, and a few days later there it was :)

It is looking that you worked on it. Thanks for sharing it with us here, it should be a helpful resource in the future for many.
I want to know if the Mosfet replacement, is it typically a successful repair?
I have always been curious if the motor winding is stressed by an ESC failure due to over heating.

pcb assembly service

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc