Motor Pod Conversion?

jxo

Reaction score
I need to replace motor 4. Black dot. I have a new, un-opened silver dot motor pod. Can I convert the new, silver dot motor pod?

Simply reverse the 2 cable connections? So I have mis-matched color connections? Red to black and black to red?

Can you replace the prop screw on the motor?

Three differences between the pods:
1) They are keyed differently to prevent putting the pods in the wrong location - you"ll have to swap the plastic motor mounts
2) The bells are threaded opposite - you will have to swap the bell housing by removing the clip on the motor shaft at the bottom of the motor and sliding the bell and shaft off and out of the motor
3) The motor rotation is opposite - you will have to reverse the red and blue wires

Reactions: DJMc
I need to replace motor 4. Black dot. I have a new, un-opened silver dot motor pod. Can I convert the new, silver dot motor pod?

Anything is possible, with a little effort and a soldering iron.

Simply reverse the 2 cable connections? So I have mis-matched color connections? Red to black and black to red?

Wrong set of wires, assume you mean the power leads.

You'll need to swap from the red-blue-black wires from the motor. Pick a pair and swap. Test rotation without prop prior to flying.

Can you replace the prop screw on the motor?

You can change/swap the bell out to give you the proper threading and color orientation.

Both the Motor swap thread and any bearing replacement thread will help you learn what is required. If it where me, I'd disassemble both pods and rebuild from there.

Keep in mind the plastic pod frame is keyed as well to fit into its given arm...

Reactions: DJMc and jimloss
1) They are keyed differently to prevent putting the pods in the wrong location - you"ll have to swap the plastic motor mounts
2) The bells are threaded opposite - you will have to swap the bell housing by removing the clip on the motor shaft at the bottom of the motor and sliding the bell and shaft off and out of the motor
3) The motor rotation is opposite - you will have to reverse the red and blue wires
Hey Jim!

Got it. Will do a pod operation tonight. thanks much, you guys are great. Next: figuring out how to power a new mirrorless camera remote device from the Solo.

Jim

seems like item 1 is the biggest PITA. Not sure its worth it. Do you have to soften or melt those 3 plastic tabs to remove the plastic mount?

seems like item 1 is the biggest PITA. Not sure its worth it. Do you have to soften or melt those 3 plastic tabs to remove the plastic mount?
I've done it to replace bearings - all four pods. I think I used a pocket knife to break the flare off of each and then plastic epoxy to glue back together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado