Map View - Imagery vs. GPS

D

DodgeP

I'm finding something weird or maybe it's by design. I just picked up a Samsung Tab S; 4G+WiFi to use specifically for Solo. My iPad Mini 2 doesn't have 4G and I didn't want to buy another iPad because you can't use Tower on IOS.

I've noticed that when I'm on 4G (in the field), in the Solo App and I slide from right to left view the map, I never get an imagery map, I only get a GPS map. When I connect to WiFi back at home and perform the same swipe in the app, I get an imagery map.

Am I doing something wrong or what? Imagery map would be great for Orbit and Cable Cam shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the same thing on my Tab 4. I haven't messed with it too much so I'm not sure what the deal is. Tried on my android phone as well and it does the same thing with 4G. You're supposed to be able to cache the maps but when I get outside and connect to the Solo, they are standard maps.

Wonder if you are loading a cached version. I don't have cell version so I cache a copy manually before I go somewhere

I'm not sure but I doubt it because I don't turn on my 4G radio until I actually get into the field.

I'm finding something weird or maybe it's by design. I just picked up a Samsung Tab S; 4G+WiFi to use specifically for Solo. My iPad Mini 2 doesn't have 4G and I didn't want to buy another iPad because you can't use Tower on IOS.

I've noticed that when I'm on 4G (in the field), in the Solo App and I slide from right to left view the map, I never get an imagery map, I only get a GPS map. When I connect to WiFi back at home and perform the same swipe in the app, I get an imagery map.

Am I doing something wrong or what? Imagery map would be great for Orbit and Cable Cam shots.
When I am connected to my wireless internet and go into the Solo app I get a good imagery map. If I switch the wireless over to the Solo, my map changes to a standard map. Tower seems to show a good map when I connected it to Solo. I've got a small waypoint mission planned out. I'm gonna check it out in the next day or so.

Reactions: DodgeP
I agree. In Tower the imagery map shows up without issue. I wish it was the same in Solo but like I said, maybe that's by design.

I agree. In Tower the imagery map shows up without issue. I wish it was the same in Solo but like I said, maybe that's by design.
Dodge, I finally got a good map after all the fiddling around. I connected to my home wifi. Opened up the Solo app. Pulled over the map from the right side. At the bottom of the screen will be an info bar stating to connect to Solo. Tap on the x to close it. Then there is another info bar that says tap to save map. Tap the down arrow on the right hand side of the screen and it will save it. If the zoom area is too big, it will tell you to zoom in.
After I did that I went back outside and connected to Solo. Pulled the map over and it was a standard map. After 30 seconds or so it was a full image map.

I never saw the other info bar about saving the map because the connect to solo info overlayed it.
EDIT: after looking at it again, if you tap on the down arrow on the right side of the map, the info bar comes up at the bottom of the screen. It may be behind the connect to Solo bar so close it so you can see the map save Info. Tap on the bar to save the map.

Last edited:
Great. I'll give it a try.
Also found out if you zoom in too close it will turn into a standard map. There's a point there between imagery and standard map. Can't wait to try it out. It shows an H for home point as well as nose orientation.

Flew this afternoon and the maps worked great. Had to cache them again. I think the update cleared things out. It's handy to see the Solo orientation on the map.

I was able to see the orientation on the GPS maps. I didn't fly today nor did I do the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea