Magnetic interference issues

Reaction score
Website
dattagroover.com
The magnetic interference warning on my controller comes up frequently.I have a LOT of waiting time, trying to help my Solo get over its magnetic interference issues. I have tried calibrating the compass, which occasionally works the first time, but mostly it takes several tries.

It doesn't seem to do any good. I always power cycle the Solo. No difference. The Solo is far from any metal or concrete. I can eventually get it to work if I am REALLY patient, but just wondering if something is wrong with my compass.

What are your thoughts?

The magnetic interference warning on my controller comes up frequently.I have a LOT of waiting time, trying to help my Solo get over its magnetic interference issues. I have tried calibrating the compass, which occasionally works the first time, but mostly it takes several tries.

It doesn't seem to do any good. I always power cycle the Solo. No difference. The Solo is far from any metal or concrete. I can eventually get it to work if I am REALLY patient, but just wondering if something is wrong with my compass.

What are your thoughts?

It's funny you brought this up ...Iv always test Solo on my coffee table with Props off for months and never had a problem!
But had this happened to me last night in my living room for the first time.."Magnetic interference" and couldint get rid of It!! Reboot several times ..change batteries..nothing worked!

Then decided to do both level and compass calibration ...and it fixed the problem!

I even went out flying this morning first time flying with the New FW...flew 4 battery's...and everything went smooth..

So I would suggest doing "both" level and compass calibration and see if that makes a difference ..

Cheers

It's funny you brought this up ...Iv always test Solo on my coffee table with Props off for months and never had a problem!
But had this happened to me last night in my living room for the first time.."Magnetic interference" and couldint get rid of It!! Reboot several times ..change batteries..nothing worked!

Then decided to do both level and compass calibration ...and it fixed the problem!

I even went out flying this morning first time flying with the New FW...flew 4 battery's...and everything went smooth..

So I would suggest doing "both" level and compass calibration and see if that makes a difference ..

Cheers
I have tried that with no luck. Good idea, though.

Hey Del. How long does it take you to calibrate your compass? When I calibrate mine, it seems to take forever. Once done, it is good for quite a while, but I am curious hearing how long it takes you. Thanks...:)

Hey Del. How long does it take you to calibrate your compass? When I calibrate mine, it seems to take forever. Once done, it is good for quite a while, but I am curious hearing how long it takes you. Thanks...:)
It dosint take me long at all really...it goes pretty smooth when doing both calibration ...takes me no longer then 5 min or so to do both!

What is your doing when doing the calibrations ..why does yours take so long?? Are you getting Errors popping up when doing it...and then have to repeat the whole process over again ?

Cheers?

Sometimes it takes 5 min or more just to calibrate the compass. I get a "failed calibration" message once in a while, but most times it just takes longer than I think it should. As far as I know, I am doing it right by facing north and tumbling Solo end over end. That is how I understand it is to be done. Is there something more I am not doing to shorten this calibration?

Sometimes it takes 5 min or more just to calibrate the compass. I get a "failed calibration" message once in a while, but most times it just takes longer than I think it should. As far as I know, I am doing it right by facing north and tumbling Solo end over end. That is how I understand it is to be done. Is there something more I am not doing to shorten this calibration?
As long as your following the directions when calibrating there's nothing really more to it..!! If you ever run into any problems Like "fail calibration " then that's when you just try it in a different area to see if that makes a difference !

Same problem I have. It takes WAY too long to calibrate. if you ask me. Sometimes after 5 minutes or more, I cancel and re-start and it does it right away. I never had any issue with my Phantoms. 30 seconds to calibrate the compass, and all is good.

Last edited:
I have moved to a different area, and it was the same. It has gotten a little better with the last couple of updates, but it is still slow. Maybe I am not holding my mouth right, or something....o_O

Reactions: Solo Keith
Sometimes it takes 5 min or more just to calibrate the compass. ... As far as I know, I am doing it right by facing north and tumbling Solo end over end. That is how I understand it is to be done. Is there something more I am not doing to shorten this calibration?

Are you sure you have to face north? I slowly tumble mine every which way (not only end over end) while slowly rotating the direction I'm facing, like I'm trying to make it dizzy, and it happily finishes in less than a minute every time. It also might help that I do it far from anything metallic.

Are you sure you have to face north? I slowly tumble mine every which way (not only end over end) while slowly rotating the direction I'm facing, like I'm trying to make it dizzy, and it happily finishes in less than a minute every time. It also might help that I do it far from anything metallic.
I think some Solos have over-sensitive, high-strung compasses.

I make sure I am not around metal, and am in an open area. I will try Joe's way next time and see how that works. I think his way is what they do to calibrate the compass on the Iris+. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

pretty sure the instructions say face north, but have not done mine in a while

Reactions: bigDavid
well well, looks like something changed. No need to face north now, at least it is no longer mentioned in the instrcutions

10.2.1 Compass Calibration To calibrate Solo’s compass, connect the app to Solo Wi-Fi, go to Settings > Solo and select Compass Calibration. Ensure that Solo and the controller are powered on with the propellers removed. Solo requires an interference-free environment for compass calibration, so ensure that you are away from metal buildings, reinforced concrete, or other metal structures before starting calibration. Figure 10.2.1.1: App - Compass Calibration Setup 61 The app prompts you to rotate Solo end-over-end multiple times until the bar at the top of the screen is completely green. If the calibration fails, move to a different location and try again. Figure 10.2.1.2: App - Compass Calibration Procedure

I have moved to a different area, and it was the same. It has gotten a little better with the last couple of updates, but it is still slow. Maybe I am not holding my mouth right, or something....o_O
You need to hop up and down on one leg while facing east.:confused:

Reactions: Solo Keith
Interesting, I just remembered how a compass could become demagnetized and the routine to degauss if it corrupted. It was a common effort with Colin's old brand, matter of fact he produced a "how to" video performing the task. I'd assume Solo external compass could be corrected in the same way...

Please note the Support App states that Solo has three compasses, two internal and one external on leg #4. I'd presume the degauss effort would only be applicable to the external compass. Try at your own risk, I make no claim this has been offered by 3DR as a remedy.

As an alternative approach, check that you don't have the controller, phone, battery or other electronic device laying near the bird during start up. My bird is very forgiving as to what effects the compass or maybe my concrete has less steel than I would hope....

Interesting, I just remembered how a compass could become demagnetized and the routine to degauss if it corrupted. It was a common effort with Colin's old brand, matter of fact he produced a "how to" video performing the task. I'd assume Solo external compass could be corrected in the same way...

Please note the Support App states that Solo has three compasses, two internal and one external on leg #4. I'd presume the degauss effort would only be applicable to the external compass. Try at your own risk, I make no claim this has been offered by 3DR as a remedy.

As an alternative approach, check that you don't have the controller, phone, battery or other electronic device laying near the bird during start up. My bird is very forgiving as to what effects the compass or maybe my concrete has less steel than I would hope....
Good point- if I go near Solo with my controller after Solo is ready for flight, it starts "calibrating" again and I have to wait for awhile before I can take off.

Cheers
Okay, thanks again, Del. That is pretty much it, EXCEPT I've found that if I calibrate for level, the compass error stops. That's easier, except it happens every time I power it up, including battery changes. So that's a pain. But at least I know how to make it work.

Update: sometimes the level calibration doesn't fix the magnetic interfere problem, and I do a compass calibration, which sometimes takes several tries for that to work.

This (needing level calibration) happens 90% of the time I start Solo, including battery changes.

Any ideas on this? This is very annoying, and wastes a lot of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421