M8N Mod Video Tutorial and Test

ReadyToFlyQuads. Problem is there are two different cable connections . When SteveMeyer75 was doing the cables I ordered 2 cables. One for the Neo7 to the board and another for the M8N to the board. Unfortunately the pins for the M8N were opposite so it didn't work. Sent it back to Steve but haven't heard from him for months. I'm not even sure if he ever cashed my check. So, I had to mod the 2 cables together, slipped on heat shrink tubing (local hobby store) and soldered the 4 wires together. Left enough overage just in case I screwed up. Don't forget the ferrite ring. The 2 wires not used are from the compass on the M8n. Just take your time, be sure the solder joints aren't cold soldered. You should be fine.

ReadyToFlyQuads. Problem is there are two different cable connections . When SteveMeyer75 was doing the cables I ordered 2 cables. One for the Neo7 to the board and another for the M8N to the board. Unfortunately the pins for the M8N were opposite so it didn't work. Sent it back to Steve but haven't heard from him for months. I'm not even sure if he ever cashed my check. So, I had to mod the 2 cables together, slipped on heat shrink tubing (local hobby store) and soldered the 4 wires together. Left enough overage just in case I screwed up. Don't forget the ferrite ring. The 2 wires not used are from the compass on the M8n. Just take your time, be sure the solder joints aren't cold soldered. You should be fine.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to hunker down and solder it myself.
How about something like this

GPS Case (45x45mm Format)

mounted with Velcro to the outside top of the plastic housing that encloses the stock gps?
This way you can still remove it if necessary and the whole unit including the antenna is outside the body away from the battery and other electronics ... Thoughts?

did anybody ever find a plug and plug option for the m8n gps mod? i want to do this mod but dont want to cut any wires

Reactions: SteveInConverse
Im also interested in finding out if the plug and play option exists and/or if SteveMeyer75 is still willing to make a wire for folks willing to pay (I tip really well lol)

Im also interested in finding out if the plug and play option exists and/or if SteveMeyer75 is still willing to make a wire for folks willing to pay (I tip really well lol)

I would like to get the NEO 7P and would also like a cable if Steve is still around?

@Eagle Wong has a plug n play solution with the M8n. You might check with him to see if he has any left.

I'm really surprised by all this GPS stuff on the solo people are always complaining about. I've been using 3DRs GPS modules on APM and Pixhawk for years. Even when I go to new location 300 miles away, I get a 3D fix with HDOP less than 2 in less than 30 seconds. I took my new solo out of the box yesterday and sitting on my deck under trees next to the house, it had 8 sats, HDOP of 1.2 in less than a minute.

I'm really surprised by all this GPS stuff on the solo people are always complaining about. I've been using 3DRs GPS modules on APM and Pixhawk for years. Even when I go to new location 300 miles away, I get a 3D fix with HDOP less than 2 in less than 30 seconds. I took my new solo out of the box yesterday and sitting on my deck under trees next to the house, it had 8 sats, HDOP of 1.2 in less than a minute.

same here. i have never lost gps during flight and i always get a fix within minute when i'm outside.

I've got 20 Clik-Mate 6 pin males and 100 connector pins on hand and I just ordered 20 JST 6 pin pigtail and a new crimper so I should be able to produce some of these cables late next week.

I took the spare blue and orange wire off the Solo GPS cable and made this one.

IMG_0336.JPG

Last edited:
PA-09 works
Great, I've got a similar unit which has 2 dies so it should work as well. Wish I would have bought the PA-09 back then...seems many have this unit.
LC Ratchet Crimper - MAINFrame Customs
That's the one I have!!!

Looking forward to making a replacement gimbal data cable. Just need to source some really flexible wire...

I won't ever have need to mass produce these things for than a quad or two. If anyone ends up buying a bunch of wire and connectors, an wants to make a few for sale on the forum, I'd probably be down to buy one.

Haven't done my homework just yet, but I assumed the data cable conductor was around 28ga.

Thanks for the link, it does appear to be the good stuff regarding flex. I was looking at Mouser and they offer a PVC jacketed high-flex stranded wire in 28ga, it was $90 for 100'. That would last me 2-3 life times...

same here. i have never lost gps during flight and i always get a fix within minute when i'm outside.

This appears to be geography-dependent... and somehow it seems my IRIS locks faster than Solo in every instance (from pure memory -- I never gave a crap about GPS, it just went green fast, always).

In Melbourne and out in the hills (trees!) east of Melbourne, I've had 10 minute waits, then warm starts at 3 minutes... but then I'd get a long wait again, on the next battery. So I have installed an m8n, and cold started it to get 17 sats in 2 minutes, though HDOP remained ~1.9 - 2.0m, a similar reading with 9 sats on the m7 Solo stock receiver... Again, I think this is because I'm just a bit more oblique to most of the sats so I may not get the 0.9 HDOP readings -- but the key thing is to get under 2 metres or whatever the magic "Solo is happy now" and get airborne ASAP, more than counting satellites and comparing precision (if it doesn't achieve the happy Solo bleeps). :)

Have not been in a wooded / challenging location with the m8n yet, and the days grow shorter now, but I will definitely be keeping a sharp eye on it!

Established UBLOX NEO-M8N DROTEK firmware and configuration 3.01
My solo gets within 10-15 seconds of 15 satellites and is ready to fly to the cold. At the start of the last 20 satellites. When changing the battery is ready at once!
Ublox NEO-M8 GPS breakout board

image.png
Established UBLOX NEO-M8N DROTEK firmware and configuration 3.01
My solo gets within 10-15 seconds of 15 satellites and is ready to fly to the cold. At the start of the last 20 satellites. When changing the battery is ready at once!
Ublox NEO-M8 GPS breakout board
Same here :)
Secret sauce is how you do the shielding.
I re-fabbed the copper foil and grounded it.
23 sats at HDOP 0.8 was the best ever reached.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela