M8N Mod Video Tutorial and Test

All have been sent.
If you asked for a loose connector on the PicoBlade side, inside the package it will look like this:
2ztahiv.png

To insert the loose wires into the PicoBlade, just make sure the "Tab" is pointing up towards the tang side of the PicoBlade when you slide it in. ( It will only go in one-way and lock.)

The PicoBlade end is easy to remove if you need to change wire locations later.
Just lift the plastic tang a little with a stick pin and the wire will slide out very easy.

Molex_crimp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamda
Thanks for the update Steve. I'll PP you the cash as soon as I get mine and know your PP email address.

I think I am a little late to the party but would sure like to get one of these. I have done the M8N mod, soldered, but now having an issue and it is possible could be the chip so want to go back to original. If it isn't M8N want to go back to it. As you can see, this would make things MUCH easier. I will PP as soon as I have info. You can PM me and thanks!!

It's never too late to join the party.... we're just getting started!! :)

PM me a mailing address and which cable ends you want and I'll send it to you along with a letter that has a PP address.

Pay only if you are 100% satisfied with it.

Notes:
I do not use the same color wires as stock, so this cannot be used to replace a modified cable to send back under warranty.

I also only connect he 4 wires used by Solo on the 6-Pin connectors. (+5V, GND, RX, TX)
This is done to keep the internal electrical noise at a minimum.
(Solo does not use the Compass on the GPS Modules. It has its Compass in the Right Rear leg)

Steve,
I have done the mod already but I would like a stock cable and one for the m8n.
Can you tell me how to PM on this site so I can contact you. :confused:
Thanks
Dan

Steve,
I have done the mod already but I would like a stock cable and one for the m8n.
Can you tell me how to PM on this site so I can contact you. :confused:
Thanks
Dan
Alternatively, you can get the stock cable from 3dr. Let me know if you need the p/n

All of the cables were sent out, but it seems that USPS had an issue at their Oakland California sorting facility and some of the packages were delayed.
They now all show being at a facility close to the city they are being sent to.

From the USPS tracking server:
"The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date.
An updated delivery date will be provided when available.
Your item departed our USPS facility in (your local area) on September 13, 2015 at x:xxam.
The item is currently in transit to the destination."

Sorry about that, but it's out of my hands. :(

Reactions: ALLA
It seems that the connector used on the M8N module sold at ReadytoFlyQuads is a JST SH 1.0mm Pitch, not a Molex PicoBlade 1.25mm Pitch like the GYGPS-V5-NEO-M8N uses.

I have three different M8N Modules here on my desk.
All three are from different vendors, but based on the standard GYGPS-V5 NEO module.
All three have Molex PicoBlade 1.25mm Pitch connectors.

Good thing I asked that no one to pay for the cables up front.
Sorry for wasting your time.

I have no idea if you can plug a PicoBlade terminal into a JST SH housing, it might work fine.

For further reading on this subject:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493712

t4299114-249-thumb-4%20JST%20%20Plugs.jpg

Last edited:
so anyone know what the other wires on the GPS do ? (the ones that are not in use after this mod)

I believe for a compass connection but SOLO has it's compass in one of the legs so the clipped off wires aren't needed.

Here's my thing :) , I have a NEO-7N and wired everything up. It works like a charm ! Now what I want to do is put a toggle switch on the red cable 5V , and have it power the NEO-7N and when I want to deactivate it and use the original solo one , I can just switch back

~z3r01~

Here's my thing :) , I have a NEO-7N and wired everything up. It works like a charm ! Now what I want to do is put a toggle switch on the red cable 5V , and have it power the NEO-7N and when I want to deactivate it and use the original solo one , I can just switch back

~z3r01~
Sounds novel. One thing to consider. Depending on where you choose to mount the second GPS and its antenna, you might generate interference that could degrade the operational GPS performance.

Other multi copters do operate with backup but if I'm not mistaken, they run them in tandem for redundancy/accuracy and don't mount them without them turned on during flight. You'll also just be carrying extra dead weight if it's off and not incorporated into the system - not that the GPS and antenna are extremely heavy, but I'm of a mind that the quad should be as light as I can functionally make it to keep flight times as long as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: z3r01
Either way... if your not into cutting/soldering up the stock cable, I'm ordering up 25 pieces of:

Molex CLIK-Mate 6-Pin / 1.25mm Pitch (Solo Side)
-to-
Molex PicoBlade 6-Pin / 1.25mm Pitch (NEO-M8N module side) cables.

8" long using #28 stranded wire and an 83ohm ferrite core

The CLIK-Mate end will be installed into the 6-Pin connector.
PIN#1 = RED
PIN#2 = ORANGE
PIN#3 = BROWN
PIN#4 = No Connection
PIN#5 = No Connection
PIN#6 = BLACK

All of the NEO-M8N modules seem to have different pinouts, so the PicoBlade end will be "loose" crimped ended wires and include a 6-Pin connector so you can plug the wires where you need.

Let me know if you are looking for one.
I'll sell them to anyone here at cost plus shipping (around $12 or so in the US)

You can pay after receipt via PayPal, or choose to keep it without paying and let bad karma collect the debt...

2ztahiv.png

Yes as a small lot of 25 cables, it ended up costing about $11.85 each with the minimums.

I also went ahead and purchased Molex CLIK-Mate and PicoBlade Pro Series Crimpers and a large stock of crimp pins and various headers so I can make up just about any custom cable.

If anyone wants one or more from the batch, or something different as a custom, let me know.

Note: The batch cables were ordered with the four wires needed for the GPS.
I didn't hook up the two i2c wires for the compass as they are not used by Solo and would just add to the noise.
(Solo has it's own compass in the Right Rear leg.)
Steve if you are still offering this cable I will take one. I bought the Mini 8 GPS from RTF quads.com.

Sounds novel. One thing to consider. Depending on where you choose to mount the second GPS and its antenna, you might generate interference that could degrade the operational GPS performance.

Other multi copters do operate with backup but if I'm not mistaken, they run them in tandem for redundancy/accuracy and don't mount them without them turned on during flight. You'll also just be carrying extra dead weight if it's off and not incorporated into the system - not that the GPS and antenna are extremely heavy, but I'm of a mind that the quad should be as light as I can functionally make it to keep flight times as long as possible.
Adding a second GPS module is one of the reason I'm building the Solo Expansion module.
(Here is a link to that thread)
Solo has three unused serial ports that can be wired to for things like this.
With only minor changes to the source code, it could switch to a backup or a different type of GPS module when needed.

There are times where a Passive Patch antenna will provide a better signal than an Active Patch, like when flying in the vicinity of a Radio transmitter or other high electronic "noise" situations.

Another way to do this would be to use a GPS module like the one I use, a GYGPSV5-NEO-M8N.
It has the advantage of being able to use either a Passive or Active patch antenna.
You can and add an electronic switch that can choose which is receiving the best/clearest signal without any modifications to Solo's firmware. (see 2nd picture below)

The other plus with a GYGPSV5-NEO is you can mount the module inside Solo and route a longer antenna cable outside or on a mast.

Note: The GYGPSV5-NEO-M8N Module uses a PicoBlade 1.25mm connector!!

If you did do it with a switch, you would need to use a 2 position 3-pole switch and run
VCC, RX & TX to it or else Solo's CPU would have issues with the un-powered "spare" acting like a pull-down resistor.

GYGPSV5-NEO-M8N Module with an Active Patch Antenna:
2w21yix.jpg

Using two antenna with a single M8N Module:
28wpaus.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamda
I believe for a compass connection but SOLO has it's compass in one of the legs so the clipped off wires aren't needed.

David is 100% correct.

The two wires, SDA & SCL for the Compass i2c bus are not connected to anything on the Solo's GPS Module and are like Teats on a Bull...utterly useless. :rolleyes:

Solo has a Compass in its Right Rear leg that provides a much better orientation signal.

Reactions: z3r01
Yes, I still have plenty of supplies and just today received the 6-Pin connectors that fit the ReadytoflyQuads modules.

I will be sending them out this weekend.
I too would like one of those wires if they are still available, I'm sure your tiny soldering skills are better than mine.

Can you guys post a list of websites where you are buying the M8N?

Maybe we can get a list of parts like the APM cable and such to make it easier for everyone to order so a list would be awesome.

Plus 1 on being interested in ordering a cable. I'd like to try and swap between both GPS' for testing and not have to perminatly modify my cable.

Reactions: Doug Benson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc