Lost 3dr solo

Adam,
I too am somewhat new to this. For months, I read the forums, first on which to buy then once decided on Solo, then on best way too learn, then on the dynamics of flying this bird. After numerous flights in wide open spaces for very short distances, I went farther and higher. All well outside the city in which I live. I bought a new house in a much more wide open space on a river bank and am selling my house in the city. On a beautiful snow covered morning I took the Solo up to the roof and cleared a landing pad on the roof deck with clear view of the neighborhood, sky and satellites. It was the perfect opportunity to show the house, it's assets and the close proximity to a well known park used to reference a desirable area here in Philadelphia. I put the case down and took a moment to review all I had read and learned BEFORE I opened the case to fly this beautiful bird. I looked out over the neighborhood and thought of the potential of this thing coming down (in a failure) on someone on the street even though I'm in a somewhat quiet neighborhood. I then thought about all of the windows and neighbors who may not want a bird (with camera) in the air around them and a window for whatever the reason. Lastly I realized that there was very good potential to loose this thing altogether for no one's fault but my own by flying in a city with disregard to all I read. I walked back downstairs, put the Solo in the car and took it back to NJ. The next day I took a long flight out over the river flying under the guidelines I learned here from the people you criticize for telling you like it is. All during this flight it seemed that the sticks were different that what I had remembered before a recent update. I got used to it, flew the mission and returned then decide to take a low, faster run along the bank up the riverfront. I clipped a tree branch and took it for a swim. After going waist deep in ice and water, I got it back, took it apart and it sits in 25 lbs of rice in a small room with a big dehumidifier. I had no thoughts of getting or asking for a replacement and hope after a week or so to have a working unit.
To me you have broken most if not all of the guidance I got from this forum and seem to be asking how someone else can correct your shortcomings without criticism. Along with the pleasure of having a sophisticated equipment with incredible potential comes responsibility. Flyers like YOU are the reason that us on this thread and elsewhere have to now live/fly with increased government over-regulation. There's tons of info here.....while you wait for a reply, read and learn.......then fly.
This is my attempt to "HELP" you learn the responsibilities that go with the responsible enjoyment of RC flight.

Thanks for posting and attempting to "HELP".

Like most online community forums, there will always be 'that guy' that may very well have a wealth of knowledge on the topic, but just doesn't have the tact and consideration for beginners.

With that said I appreciate the posts in here and DMs from those that are helpful and a bit more understanding.

Reactions: Russ Knight
I also expected the 'smartest' drone to return to its launch point, or at least land or just simply drop if communication breaks for a certain amount of time.

It is smart, but you have to understand that there is only so much the technology behind it can do. From the description of the flight, you almost certainly lost GPS or the GPS signal was compromised by the environment. Without GPS, Solo has no way of determining it's location. Even worse is a poor GPS signal that's feeding it with inaccurate location information, which would leave Solo to try it's best to go to the positions it's being fed. Outside that, a city/town location likely has significant WiFi interference, so it could have been trying to fly without knowing where it was and with interference on the control signal. Now throw in potential magnetic interference from the building, and Solo wouldn't even be able to determine what direction it was facing.

It's unfortunate that the marketing of these things portrays them as, literally, so simple a monkey could fly them. In perfect conditions, they probably are, but too many people are totally unaware of what constitutes "perfect conditions". You can't just read an advertisement that says something is "smart" and assume it's impossible to crash it. You may recall a boat that was claimed to be unsinkable...

I do beleive this happen to mine and got caught in a tree it flew on its own and hit a tree I am now too scared to fly it after hiring a abororist to get it down I am waiting on support to get back to me from the info on the ticket I send in to see if this was the case

It is smart, but you have to understand that there is only so much the technology behind it can do. From the description of the flight, you almost certainly lost GPS or the GPS signal was compromised by the environment. Without GPS, Solo has no way of determining it's location. Even worse is a poor GPS signal that's feeding it with inaccurate location information, which would leave Solo to try it's best to go to the positions it's being fed. Outside that, a city/town location likely has significant WiFi interference, so it could have been trying to fly without knowing where it was and with interference on the control signal. Now throw in potential magnetic interference from the building, and Solo wouldn't even be able to determine what direction it was facing.

It's unfortunate that the marketing of these things portrays them as, literally, so simple a monkey could fly them. In perfect conditions, they probably are, but too many people are totally unaware of what constitutes "perfect conditions". You can't just read an advertisement that says something is "smart" and assume it's impossible to crash it. You may recall a boat that was claimed to be unsinkable...
Very true! I've been fly RC for 24 years, mostly fixed wing, and none of my other craft even come close to this level of technology. I do give it to 3DR, they built a very controllable quad, but understanding the tech behind the Solo is a must if you want to protect yourself from disaster.

Reactions: Jubalr
I wanted to revisit this post and say 3DR replaced my gear and I am flying again. However, I am running into what seems to be a common issue of not getting any video feed.

All software (iOS app, firmware, GoPro) is current and up-to-date. I am confident in that the GoPro was mounted/connected correctly, and I've used the recommended GoPro video settings... still no feed.

Will be trying one more suggestion (found here: No video feed.....) before contacting 3DR, again.

That doesn't seem to do any more than just switching to satellite view in the main app to see solos last location.

I disagree. This solution works for when batteries/devices/apps are turned off or drained.

Not to hijack the thread... I have a V16 Reachfar GPS tracker laying around I think. Is there no risk of interfering with Solo's GPS system?
That tracker, like many others like it, use cell signals to send their position. So in order to work, they have to be in an area with cell coverage. That is why many have chosen the Marco Polo. It transmits on it's own frequency that is tracked with a separate device. The V16 will work fine without interference to Solo, you just have to be aware of that limitation.

Reactions: bluesgeek
That tracker, like many others like it, use cell signals to send their position. So in order to work, they have to be in an area with cell coverage. That is why many have chosen the Marco Polo. It transmits on it's own frequency that is tracked with a separate device. The V16 will work fine without interference to Solo, you just have to be aware of that limitation.

Thanks!

I don't think a tracker is as good an expenditure as insurance. It you need a tracker your Solo probably went down and sustained damage that could be costly to repair or require replacement of Solo or GoPro. Lose it over water and the tracker won't help much.

Fro $60 a year I have $50 deductible policy that covers the Solo and attached. Gone bird equals new Solo and GoPro.

Hi, Greg. Could you post a link for more info about your insurance? I am sure a lot of us would like to read more about it. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Greg. Could you post a link for more info about your insurance? I am sure a lot of us would like to read more about it. Thanks in advance.

Just went down to my State Farm agent and took out "Personal Item" or some such policy. They wanted receipts for the purchase of the items; Solo, GP, filters, leg extensions, balance kit, memory card, and the serial number of the Solo. $60 is their minimum policy premium amount and would have covered a little over $2000.

Loosing a drone if a tracker can help find it , you may get these :

01. The logs. So u can warranty claim if its drone fault.
02. Footage. If you are a pro or sells footage, that footage maybe worth more than the drone.
memory card can survive well in most accident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea