looks like the flood waters are rising on Solo City....

So here is the response from the person who got the Solo to work and posted the video,

Rusty Ortkiese

"I am using firmware v02.00 with the Hero 3+ silver. There is an updated firmware but I've heard people say that it will freeze the GoPro when plugged into the gimbal. With v02.00 the video feed to the app doesn't work when I power on, but if I unplug/replug the hdmi cable it kicks in. Hope this helps."

So what can be deduced from this, beyond there is a major clitch in the system?, Somebody got "partial functionality" from the silver but by trial and error, it is working but not as planned and not with the update you are prompted to install by the App.

Does this mean update the gimbal software or the camera? Just a thought running threw my mind does 3DR spend the time to fix the gimbal firmware of do they just abandon the claim it works with the Silver. Even thou Rusty was able to patch a fix.

I am curious how many people have the silver and want to hold 3DR to the claim made on the BOX and on their web site that the Gimbal works with the Hero 3+.

Small little factoid, the BOX the Gimbal comes with has some pretty convincing information that backs up the fact that 3DR claimed it would work with the Hero3+ No only does the Box state the gimbal is compatible with the Hero3+ they provided count weights for the Hero3+.

Change is planning and promotion? I will share what I find out tomorrow when I call 3DR?

Wow, so even after being told that the GOPRO FIRMWARE upgrade caused a lock out, you still want to believe it is 100% 3DR.

Amazing..
Good Luck..

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Amazing ... Get real... They always had full access to the system... And then geared the app to insist that I upgrade... Yes 3dr said upgrade not go pro..

You are a special kind of logical I do not understand. Had I not followed their instructions I would have maybe made the same mistake that Rusty did and get it to work. Also if you watch the movie I posted at the 2.2 min mark with Colin ... He mentions a planned firmware update...with go pro ,when the gimbal was to be delivered , Or did you miss that detail and just decide to attack... ?

according to Colin the update was planned... So yes at this time logic make me think 3dr saw this coming, planned and failed. Bottom line it does not work and let's see when 3dr makes the announcement... Let's see how your scared cow treats their clients.

Every single car I've owned, from $16,000 ones to $50,000 ones have had recalls to address various issues. If major auto companies with 100+ years of experience can't design a faultless product and have to address problems after the point of sale, I'm not sure I can hold a small company like 3DR to a higher standard on a $400 product.

I'm not saying it's not frustrating, but we're all at the very front of a brand new industry, issues like this are inevitable.

Have you found out if the issue is hardware or software/firmware related? Reviewing the specs of the silver and black, it doesn't seem like there's any/major hardware differences that should effect this. If it's software, GoPro is at least as much at fault, and likely more so, as 3DR.

There's no reason 3DR wouldn't want as many cameras to work with the gimbal as possible. GoPro, on the other hand, would LOVE for you to have to buy a new camera. You might be better served by directing some of your energy towards GoPro.

Agree. I had a few hiccups setting up my gimble, but once resolved - it's incredible. 3DR spent an hour on the phone with me and was extremely patient and helpful. Give these guys a chance, they really do make a great product that will only get better with such a vibrant online community...

I had a good discussion with them today.... They are scrambling to make the Silver work correctly... they are right in the throws of a correction. I may have a patch that can be done until another update can be made. They were open to admit that they should not have launched the promises so early. Many of the things looked like they were closer to solutions... but it just did not work that way... they indicated they learned their lesson about over promising on a product where they appealed to the new owner, and said things like trouble free.

Little more progress. I got the camera to feed with the gimbal and we got in a little air time. But for the life of me I could not figure out how to get the camera to turn on. The weather her is real humid and sorta a thick hazy.. Solo was not flying that smooth, she was making some weird bouncy movements but that could be gps weather related.

Anyone know how to turn on the camera, the screen is pretty devoid of icons to push.

SN-TN3STRESS.jpg

Someone made a comment about politics. I had to LMAO. This and other threads are sounding more and more like ideology above all else....3DR vs DJI. I have never heard so much locality for anything that after six months, still can't deliver what was advertised....accept in politics. It sounds like "my party, right or wrong, is the best." You have to be kidding me...'your on the cutting edge and have to expect this sort of thing.' Save it for space exploration. This was one of the worst product launch/deceptions I have seen. And the response six months latter is 'better product support than the competition'. That dog just don't hunt.

Someone made a comment about politics. I had to LMAO. This and other threads are sounding more and more like ideology above all else....3DR vs DJI. I have never heard so much locality for anything that after six months, still can't deliver what was advertised....accept in politics. It sounds like "my party, right or wrong, is the best." You have to be kidding me...'your on the cutting edge and have to expect this sort of thing.' Save it for space exploration. This was one of the worst product launch/deceptions I have seen. And the response six months latter is 'better product support than the competition'. That dog just don't hunt.

I finally got my Solo in the Air with the Gimbal and I have to say the final results are impressive. But the work to get to this point was expensive and not as planned. When I listen to the over hype and even what they still have posted at their site.... it is somewhat annoying. I had the Hero 3 Silver and believed it would work, they told me / us it would work. It did not work! Two options existed, return all the stuff or go spend more money on a go pro that works... I opted to buy another $600.00 Camera - New SD card - California Sales Tax... and still it took hours to get it up and flying. Customer service is polite but once I got the Hero 4 Black and it would not work, someone in Tech Support (and I have his name) told me the only way to make it work was to manually turn on the camera. That was the same thing they told me for the Hero3+ Silver. This was wrong and I had to protest loudly to get the right information.

The time necessary to set and calibrate and just screw with the system almost made this not worth it. This is not beginner stuff and I was a beginner. I wanted to grab and go fly...that is what they said was possible. They never said that they were working from prototypes.

Well I am flying now and if they finish the software, it will pretty much work like they said it would. Pull it out of the box and FLY as a novice.... Not Really!

The people taking amazing footage with their Solos must be lying, since the product is clearly flawed and dysfunctional to the core.

Some gimbal video shot this morning... | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Summer is Over - My first video effort with the gimbal | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Reactions: UAVenthusiast
I finally got my Solo in the Air with the Gimbal and I have to say the final results are impressive. But the work to get to this point was expensive and not as planned. When I listen to the over hype and even what they still have posted at their site.... it is somewhat annoying. I had the Hero 3 Silver and believed it would work, they told me / us it would work. It did not work! Two options existed, return all the stuff or go spend more money on a go pro that works... I opted to buy another $600.00 Camera - New SD card - California Sales Tax... and still it took hours to get it up and flying. Customer service is polite but once I got the Hero 4 Black and it would not work, someone in Tech Support (and I have his name) told me the only way to make it work was to manually turn on the camera. That was the same thing they told me for the Hero3+ Silver. This was wrong and I had to protest loudly to get the right information.

The time necessary to set and calibrate and just screw with the system almost made this not worth it. This is not beginner stuff and I was a beginner. I wanted to grab and go fly...that is what they said was possible. They never said that they were working from prototypes.

Well I am flying now and if they finish the software, it will pretty much work like they said it would. Pull it out of the box and FLY as a novice.... Not Really!

how much did you spend in total?

The Video above shot with the 3+Silver should be all the evidence needed to support that the camera works fine with the gimbal. It appears that just certain individuals cameras do not work and they should probably have their camera looked into. Doesn't appear to be a problem with the gimbal or 3DR. In fact, many, many problems reported on this forum are, in the end, due to pilot error. Looking back, many of my early problems were due to my ignorance of just how RC things really work and the myriad of things that can get in the way. I've learned that every flight should be well planned out as far as the surrounding environment is concerned.

The people taking amazing footage with their Solos must be lying, since the product is clearly flawed and dysfunctional to the core.

Some gimbal video shot this morning... | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Summer is Over - My first video effort with the gimbal | 3D Robotics Drone Forum
Haven't seen any footage of yours.
Do you have proof of "clearly dysfunctional and clearly flawed"? This statement reminds me of folks from that other forum.
I think most of us here realize there is no perfect quad. We just like flying, with all the imperfections.

Haven't seen any footage of yours.
Do you have proof of "clearly dysfunctional and clearly flawed"? This statement reminds me of folks from that other forum.
I think most of us here realize there is no perfect quad. We just like flying, with all the imperfections.

Yes, I have footage, but I don't need to post on YouTube to prove anything to you. You will have to fined a pissing contest somewhere else my friend.

My comment was regarding the pass aggressive behavior, you were displaying toward the gentleman for posting his issues. I thought that was the purpose of the form good or bad. No judgement.

Yes, I have footage, but I don't need to post on YouTube to prove anything to you. You will have to fined a pissing contest somewhere else my friend.

My comment was regarding the pass aggressive behavior, you were displaying toward the gentleman for posting his issues. I thought that was the purpose of the form good or bad. No judgement.
Was not referring to you. Yes, I know what you're talking about. This forum is turning out like the DJI forum.
We need to get all these Phantom boys and trolls off of here.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I just want something that works and is not buggy as all getup. I had a Phantom 3 but due to the lack of support i returned it. Never had any issues with it. Now i am looking at the Solo again, hoping the firmware update fixed all the bugs or the Yuneec g500 4k. I would totally go with the new Yuneec g but the lack of control for the go pro sucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000