looks like the flood waters are rising on Solo City....

I would say I am 99.999999 positive that it is not a problem with my GO Pro. The 3DR Controller App says that my camera is not supported. Silver is excluded from the list of working or compatible cameras in the App.

Are others having the same problem?... that is why I posted this and keep researching it. I just want to get back in the air. I will make note now that the SILVER did work in the system without the Gimbal. I know this as I have used it and have the video. Thus logic would prove that there was some contemplation to working with the Silver in the starting design. The issue arrives with the Gimbal. This is not Go Pros fault as others here have suggested. They did not design or manufacture the gimbal. Where is the fix? I am still looking for it. If you go to the Gimbal offering page on 3DR's site it still says HERO 3+ works, there is no mention of incompatibility of the Silver version, with the gimbal.

Is it fair to say 3DR either has a plan and a fix is on the way, or they are not listening? I do not know of any other logical options to this conflicting information.
Not sure why you prefer to spend so much time complaining rather than just return it, since your logic is so pure that this was all intentional by 3DR. As a manufacturer myself, I can assure you that there is a big difference in showing a product perform certain functions at a show and being ready for production. They were quite possibly using a beta FW provided by GP at the show on a beta or pre-beta gimbal. It doesn't mean that either one were ready to ship. 'Working with GoPro' also means that 3DR was given certain promises/assurances that certain features would be available on specific models in a given timeline. We all know that when the gimbal began shipping to customers, GP released firmware updates at the same time for the blacks in order to work with the gimbal. They did not release for the silver as it was likely not ready. Have you seen GP make a statement saying 'hey, it's not our fault the silver doesn't work!'. I'm sure it will when GP gets the FW tested and ready for public consumption.

In the mean time, someone as unhappy as you are, that is willing to spend so much time and energy to complain should have returned the product already. You made your complaint a week ago. To keep coming on here to repeat how unhappy you are is not going to get it working any faster. I see you have 3 choices:
Return It.
Buy a GP Black
Or continue to fly the Solo until a solution is worked out or told it will never work, then return it.

Good Luck, Fly Safe & relax..

GoodNuff: Great video, are you saying it was done with a Hero3+ Silver and the Gimbal and if so how did you get it to work and when? This is what I have been searching for the solution!
It was shot by another member here by the name of Rusty. His equipment..
Shot with:
3DR Solo with Solo Gimbal
GoPro Hero 3+ Silver, 1080P/60fps
PolarPro Polarizing Filter

No post processing software stabilization.

I don't understand the hostility towards "User Name?" GoodnNuff isn't my real name either...

So, you've seen the video above showing the GoPro 3+ Silver working with the 3DR Solo gimbal?
Next step would be to call 3DR.

You say you are researching this. You post:
"Is it fair to say 3DR either has a plan and a fix is on the way, or they are not listening? I do not know of any other logical options to this conflicting information."

The most logical option I can think of is to call 3DR.
Or contact the guy who shot the video above using his 3+ Silver and the Solo gimbal.

GoodNuff: Great video, are you saying it was done with a Hero3+ Silver and the Gimbal and if so how did you get it to work and when? This is what I have been searching for the solution!
Oh, sorry, not my video. Go to youtube to find who shot it and contact him for a solution.
Good luck!

Not sure why you prefer to spend so much time complaining rather than just return it, since your logic is so pure that this was all intentional by 3DR. As a manufacturer myself, I can assure you that there is a big difference in showing a product perform certain functions at a show and being ready for production. They were quite possibly using a beta FW provided by GP at the show on a beta or pre-beta gimbal. It doesn't mean that either one were ready to ship. 'Working with GoPro' also means that 3DR was given certain promises/assurances that certain features would be available on specific models in a given timeline. We all know that when the gimbal began shipping to customers, GP released firmware updates at the same time for the blacks in order to work with the gimbal. They did not release for the silver as it was likely not ready. Have you seen GP make a statement saying 'hey, it's not our fault the silver doesn't work!'. I'm sure it will when GP gets the FW tested and ready for public consumption.

In the mean time, someone as unhappy as you are, that is willing to spend so much time and energy to complain should have returned the product already. You made your complaint a week ago. To keep coming on here to repeat how unhappy you are is not going to get it working any faster. I see you have 3 choices:
Return It.
Buy a GP Black
Or continue to fly the Solo until a solution is worked out or told it will never work, then return it.

Good Luck, Fly Safe & relax..
I agree.

George Kenner,
Work toward an actual solution or just admit that isn't what you want, and quit. Just standing in the public square complaining that you have a problem that isn't getting fixed (somehow) gets absolutely nothing done... In my experience, it is always a temptaion when you are dissapointed, but is never the best option...

Have you contacted 3DR by phone?

Last edited:
Mr. Unknown: Dude you called me obsessive. Your entitled to say as you please...

I am working to a solution.... in fact as you were typing someone posted what clearly looks like a gimbal movie and said it was from a Hero 3+ Silver. The solution could be here! Or they are just "Joshing Us"... thinking this is funny.

Yes, I have communicated with 3DR and they told me that they would have enginnering get back to me. A vague e mail arrived and then they went silent. Other than to pull two threads off their Facebook page that had comments on this issue, they seem to be standing by the statement it works with Hero3+ versions.

As for an exchange of the camera. There is nothing wrong with the camera. The videos are clear, 3DR designed the gimbal with full access to the camera. They made the claim in April that this all worked. I did not make the claim they did, and it is in the video from the Trade Show with a 3DR employee. That is the reliance that was placed on the product by the consumers. The reliance it worked.

Even now the 3DR Site says the Hero3+ works..... why is that? Got any speculation on that..?

Upgrading the camera for 400 plus dollars is not want I had planned. Nor do I think I would do that. The Return Discussion I had with the manager at Best Buy was not positive.... They seem to think that has to be done through 3DR.... but if I can make it work.. why return it...?

I have tried 3DR today but they appear to be closed. More tomorrow unless Goodnuff knows how to make it work now. He is the one that posted the video.

before I walked out the door...I looked at that video again and wrote to the maker to confirm it was with the equipment he stated... If if worked for him... it has to work for others right?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Mr. Unknown: Dude you called me obsessive. Your entitled to say as you please...

I am working to a solution.... in fact as you were typing someone posted what clearly looks like a gimbal movie and said it was from a Hero 3+ Silver. The solution could be here! Or they are just "Joshing Us"... thinking this is funny.

Yes, I have communicated with 3DR and they told me that they would have enginnering get back to me. A vague e mail arrived and then they went silent. Other than to pull two threads off their Facebook page that had comments on this issue, they seem to be standing by the statement it works with Hero3+ versions.

As for an exchange of the camera. There is nothing wrong with the camera. The videos are clear, 3DR designed the gimbal with full access to the camera. They made the claim in April that this all worked. I did not make the claim they did, and it is in the video from the Trade Show with a 3DR employee. That is the reliance that was placed on the product by the consumers. The reliance it worked.

Even now the 3DR Site says the Hero3+ works..... why is that? Got any speculation on that..?

Upgrading the camera for 400 plus dollars is not want I had planned. Nor do I think I would do that. The Return Discussion I had with the manager at Best Buy was not positive.... They seem to think that has to be done through 3DR.... but if I can make it work.. why return it...?

I have tried 3DR today but they appear to be closed. More tomorrow unless Goodnuff knows how to make it work now. He is the one that posted the video.

Are you reading the responses, or just picking and choosing what you can snark a retort to?
3DR makes the claim because as the video I posted proves, they are compatible.
Only 3DR can assist you with your particular connection problem.
But the fact that you alone are having this problem does not make 3DR a liar, as you continue to imply.
Go back to my first post where I said I've recently seen a video posted. Then I simply did a google search for "3DR Solo Gimbal and GoPro 3+ Silver" or some such combination to find the video I had mentioned. I guess you missed it in your research? Anyway, I did not shoot the video. I cannot help you with your issue. I am still waiting for a gimbal, and I don't own a 3+ Silver.
But I think you will have your issue resolved once you make contact with 3DR. Hopefully tomorrow. Again, good luck.

Ok George, what is going on here?
A week ago in another post regarding your camera issue, you state that you've been on the phone with 3DR talking about your camera - yet here you act like you haven't had any communication with 3DR?

"I called 3D and went through that with them and they prompted me to a few screens on the app and it says that only three cameras work with the gimbal. Hero 4 Black & Silver and Hero 3 black.... NOT THE SILVER like all of the 3DRobotics literature says it will.

I am waiting to hear back from the engineering department at 3D the person in Customer Service understood that the the system is supposed to work with a Hero 3 D+ version. I sure hope this does not mean I am frozen unless I purchase a new camera."
Anyone having Problems with getting the Go Pro to Update. | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

In fact just read through that post from last week. You're here a week later rehashing the same ol' shite and apparently still haven't taken any action.
Not sure what your agenda is, but I'm starting to doubt that getting your 3+ Silver to work is it.

I'm moving on.

Mr. Unknown:
No... You aren't And saying so doesn;'t make it so. To start with, you are obsessing (in nearly every post) on the fact that guy doesn't use is name in his profile... Really? Does that solve your propblem? You are also being very combative, which doesn't make people (who aren't getting paid) want to help you.... Use that information or don't. It is however fact.

Yes, I have communicated with 3DR and they told me that they would have enginnering get back to me. A vague e mail arrived and then they went silent.
That was not the question... The question was have you CALLED them on the phone. You are much more likely (especially after staring a ticket) to talk to an engineer, who will know the answer to most oif not all of your questions... Instead you are wandering around the Internet trying to answer them yourselve, injecting your bias that you have been "lied to" and getting opissed because you don't have answers.

As for an exchange of the camera. There is nothing wrong with the camera..

Case in point you aren't working toward a solution, but are trying very hard to be "right". Example: Since you stated that the Hero 3+ is new, (and whithout a chip on my shoulder) I would just go down to BB and exchange it for one that I know works, and be done with it... As I mentioned, even working, the HERO 3+ silver has a smaller sensor, and processor than the black, which results in lower frame rates, which is bad for ANY aerial videopgraphy... Instead... You want to be right....

See above... You said it was new. Positive or not... if it actually is new you can exchange it. I know, I have done it, at BB, and recently. The Hero 3+ Silver is also a much lesser camera than the black, not as well suited for aerial videogpraphy. The black is around $70 more and much better suited for drone use.

As I said earlier, I don't see a technical reason why the Hero 3+ Silver won;t work, but I am not an expert on teh HERO Bus, and it is highly possible there will be limitations, as HERO keeps adding capability to it as others (such as 3DR) start to use it.

In the end (as was alo mentioned) you have a few choices.
1. Wait for 3DR to open tomorrow and talk with them to get a definitive answer as to the compatability of the HERO 3+ Silver, and when a fix (if any) will come out. Act depending on that outcome.
2. Exchange your GoPro with one that you know will work (and while doing that, I would personally get one better suited).
3. Send the Solo back.
4. Keep waisting large amounts of time pounding your head against the Internet wall finding "something" that says it might work, and comlaining that your problem isn't solved, which gets nothing done, while working hard to be "right" about your HERO purchase and continue trying to make 3DR a "bad guy".

I support 1-3

From what I see, you have apparently been spending numerous hours searching for any evidence that says your camera "might" work (however indirect) in some attempt at a "pre-emptive" attack, and therefore atttributing everything bad you can to 3DR's motives, even though it sounds as if you have had limited actual contact with them.

You are starting (with the help of someone here) to work toward a solution (as long as your camera will work). That is a good move and a good start.

My suggestion however is to work toward the solution regardless of whether the camera you have works or not. What if it has limited capability? Are you going to go through the process again complaining of that? I will bet you are going to have less than optimum results with the camera you have, based on the video specs.... What then? More complaining that others get better reults?

Here is the basic question: Do you want the best solution? Or do you want to be "right"? Sometimes you have to choose...

Either way, I'm done helping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jubalr
Reply or not it really does not matter. Logic would point to having all the facts to be right, first. Then you will find the solution.

There is another member here , that copied an e mail from 3dr that said the Hero 3 silver is not compatible, with the gimbal. That is what he said. But as it has be stated in this thread it works. People have even shared a video, that is it works... That is what I want...

I am a little confused with the return it comment. I discussed that with best buy they said No... Now that could just be a manager in a store. But I addressed that, it's not an option at this time.

Of course I mentioned all the claims in video , I was just told they were unaware of the return policy.

When I return home I will light up the drone and app and show you where the app says it will not work.

Snark.... That was funny..... If I hear from the maker of the video who I wrote to I will share the response.

Unknown you are a special kind of right, about every thing and very smart to, but no one will ever be able to say thank you as you hide behind the curtain.... So do you work in the Kerney Mesa facility of 3dr?

Unknown you are a special kind of right, about every thing and very smart to, but no one will ever be able to say thank you as you hide behind the curtain.... So do you work in the Kerney Mesa facility of 3dr?
Wow... You are way out there on your own dude. WAY to combative and illogical to deal with an actual problem. If you can't see why concentrating on his username just because you disagree doesn't get your problem solved, then you can't be helped...

Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkle Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs..... This is the only person with the answers which of you are this guy? Google it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela