Long Term Hyperlapse

Reaction score
Here's a discussion with a focus on commercial operations, or the really dedicated hobbyist, or the motivated stakeholder.

Use cases that I have in mind here are construction, and tourism-based farming.

It has been done - I've seen great example of periodic video clips from a home construction from the same orbit. You. Get to see the evolution of the construction. I think this is great, but I think it can be done differently, and there is room for improvement.

I prefer the look a photograph-based time lapse over video clips for construction - the fast forward effect, and actually watching the structure go up piece by piece from an elevated and dynamic vantage point would be a very attractive result. That’s the vision anyway.

I have been doing some reading on Construction time-lapse. Seems to be a popular undertaking for traditional cameras, but I don’t see any really good ones coming from UAS in the form of Hyperlapse.

So lets talk logistics. Traditionally, and somewhat depending on the phase of construction, I understand the photo interval to be between 1 and 5 minutes, up to 15. Obviously, that makes it interesting for us with our 15-20 minute flight times.

So how do we do it? Example - Begin our orbit with a shot, shot interval is one minute, move only a couple inches between shots. Execute as many as possible per battery. If you only have four batteries, that’s all you get for the day.

Considerations for the above formula are obviously to capture the evolution of the project, but also to maintain a smooth flight profile - greater distance between shots would seemingly result in a super choppy product.

How often to run this process? Daily? Every other day? Weekly? Something between?

Seems like a waste of battery, drone life, and time between shots. Is that simply the cost of this undertaking?

Good reading on Construction Time lapse below, with a good example video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Time-lapse photography at construction sites

Next use case is farming. I work with a local lavender farmer. This would be very cool to document the growing phase. Also, Daffodil and Tulip fields are a HUGE tourist attraction near by. Would the formula be similar to Construction? Below is a link to a time lapse of Rice growing - the smooth transitions here between growing phases are very nice. And since this is a much slower process, less “action” to document, seems periodic smooth video clips would possibly work better here as opposed to the traditional photo method discussed above for construction.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thoughts?

And it seems the answer is gonna be a mission in Tower or MP, as I'm not sure Solex (or the 3DR app) can take this on. Or let's get Kelly in here to talk about it with Regard to Solex.

Cuz here's the other challenge, maintaining the appropriate position in your orbit from day to day. Let's say that on the first day you complete 2% of your orbit. The next time you come back, how do you start anew at the appropriate position?

What can create a mission that's not necessarily repeatable, but can run the same mission on a progressive basis over multiple (many multiple) flights?

Look forward to the thoughts from the crowd here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc