Level calibration

The first time it happened to mine, it was after getting bounced around in the back of the Jeep on a wheeling trip. It was in the 3DR bag, and it continued to work fine during and immediately after the trip that day. The next day, an IMU was dead in the morning. The second time it happened was the warranty replacement Solo from the first one. I flew it several times. No rough rides like the first one. Then an IMU died again. Very annoying. I can only assume the IMUs are not as robust as I would like them to be, but I do not have data or fact to back that up. I think we're seeing it more on the forum due to the number of new users in the last few months.

My warranty expires next month. Which coincidentally is when I'll be putting one of Phillp's new green cube Pixhawk 2.1s in it anyway. I suspect the IMUs in that will be more robust. And I will have the current stock Pixhawk as a spare. I also have a Best Buy fire sale spare whole set of everything in the basement. And I have that one that went for a swim that a forum member sent me for more spare parts. And a stock replacement Pixhawk from mRo is only $97. So it's not a huge concern for me. TBH, I might buy a spare from mRo just to keep in the bag for field repairs.
Hey Matt, as far as getting the new cube going, is it supposed to just be a matter of loading 1.5.3 on there? I assume you will backup your params and load them or will you need to go through them?

Phillip hasn't released instructions yet. But if it's anything like replacing the stock Pixhawk with a replacement 3DR solo pixhawk like mRo sells, you just do a full factory reset and it loads right up. Of course I would then put @human's 1.5.3 on there with the lighting control.

Reactions: speatuk
I'm such a newbie in all of this I didn't know you could upgrade things...

Yea there are a lot of upgrades out there. Apparently there's a problem with the gps that a mod will help or you can buy an aftermarket gps board or there are gps antennae you can buy. Companies make an antennae booster set-up, different props, different gimbal connecting ribbons/cords. I have leg extenders....

Solo has finally resolved this by sending me a new one, surely it will be a refrub tho

Solo has finally resolved this by sending me a new one, surely it will be a refrub tho

Hey I got my refurb yesterday and it looks brand new. Sealed accessory boxes, all the plastic and foam guards in place. I don't know but I got 14 sats and was RTF in under a minute so I'm not complaining. I haven't even installed the GPS shield yet.

What's a GPS shield? I'm wanting to do some upgrades on mine( so this doesn't happen again) but not sure what's available or what I should even do

What's a GPS shield? I'm wanting to do some upgrades on mine( so this doesn't happen again) but not sure what's available or what I should even do
Solo GPS Shield V2 - 3DR
This replaces the useless copper foil shield that is under the GPS. It makes a word of difference in blocking RF interference from the GPS, especially the original Rev A GPS.

The GPS shield places barrier between the GPS module and the rest of the electronics. The existing shield was made from copper and could touch the module causing loss of GPS lock and potential fly aways. I've only had this problem once. It was my first unit that I returned to Best Buy once I found it that is.

Again, my refurb is getting 14 sats in under a minute. For all I know, they may address the situation when they refurb them. I'll know once I get the shield from 3DR. Btw for more info search gps mod here, 3dr solo gps shield on YouTube or even 3Dr's website.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that the Site Scan model uses the same electronics as the Solo. It's one thing when a $800 drone flies away, it's quite another when there's $13k involved.

Dunno about that. The $13k they charge for the site scan Solo is primarily for the site scan license, and the upgraded camera and gimbal. I'd bet a left nut the SOLO itself is the same solo you get for $200 refurbished.

Dunno about that. The $13k they charge for the site scan Solo is primarily for the site scan license, and the upgraded camera and gimbal. I'd bet a left nut the SOLO itself is the same solo you get for $200 refurbished.

I'll see your left nut and raise you half a penis! I know for certain that there is a different GPS setup.

If nothing else, I'm willing to bet that they are hand assembled here in the states to avoid their past QC problems.

The Site Scan solo is no different. They were all mass produced in China. The Site Scan package just has the Sony camera and associated gimbal. There is some packaging and configuration of the site scan models that took place at the shop in TJ.

Reactions: msantimanzano
I'll see your left nut and raise you half a penis! I know for certain that there is a different GPS setup.
Sorry Lon, but you are mistaken. The Site Scan SOLO is identical to the last consumer SOLO's put out by 3DR, with the only differences being the camera, gimbal, Site Scan software and the enterprise support they provide. How do I know this? I have an acquaintance that has the Site Scan SOLO and wrecked it. User error, no warranty/guarantee replacement. They used a Best Buy SOLO as the donor for the body, main board, some of the motor pods, GPS etc etc. The gimbal, camera etc. all transferred over. I do believe he told me they had to do a firmware update with 3DR's help. I think that means the Site Scan unit has some firmware differences, but thats my guess only.

Sorry Lon, but you are mistaken. The Site Scan SOLO is identical to the last consumer SOLO's put out by 3DR, with the only differences being the camera, gimbal, Site Scan software and the enterprise support they provide. How do I know this? I have an acquaintance that has the Site Scan SOLO and wrecked it. User error, no warranty/guarantee replacement. They used a Best Buy SOLO as the donor for the body, main board, some of the motor pods, GPS etc etc. The gimbal, camera etc. all transferred over. I do believe he told me they had to do a firmware update with 3DR's help. I think that means the Site Scan unit has some firmware differences, but thats my guess only.
Then why the big price tag? They give you the subscription $3500. A stupid tablet $700. The Solo $300. So the camera and gimbal are worth $8000+? Hmmm....

Well I willing to admit when I'm wrong but that's still nuts! I'm still guessing they are hand assembled in Cali as opposed to somewhere in China.

I don't know your friend but from the 3DR website...

One replacement drone
Should your drone ever have an issue due to accident or malfunction, 3DR will overnight you a replacement even before you send your broken one back. Receive free non-warranty repairs of your drone, up to the retail price.

Your guess is incorrect. And I don't think you understand how business works. A product or service is sold for what they believe the market will bear. Not for $5 more than it costs to ship the product. Furthermore, it didn't invent itself. The R&D time and costs behind it is enormous.

Reactions: speatuk
Well I willing to admit when I'm wrong but that's still nuts! I'm still guessing they are hand assembled in Cali as opposed to somewhere in China.

I don't know your friend but from the 3DR website...

One replacement drone
Should your drone ever have an issue due to accident or malfunction, 3DR will overnight you a replacement even before you send your broken one back. Receive free non-warranty repairs of your drone, up to the retail price.

He already had one drone replaced under warranty. The second accident was apparently so clearly user error they didn't bother to attempt warranty claim for it.

Your numbers come to what, like $8k? Add to that whatever profit margins they need, plus the costs of tech support etc etc and you have the $13k.

He already had one drone replaced under warranty. The second accident was apparently so clearly user error they didn't bother to attempt warranty claim for it.

Your numbers come to what, like $8k? Add to that whatever profit margins they need, plus the costs of tech support etc etc and you have the $13k.

Well when you're right, you're right. It still seems crazy. I don't know, doesn't Tower offer mapping? I guess that camera is awesome.

You should read up on what site scan is. It is not just "mapping". Tower doesn't do anything remotely like what site scan is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421