Level calibration

Reaction score
I was flying solo just fine then I landed to changed batteries. I changed the battery and now it says calibration error.... everytime I try to the leveling calibration it says it fails!!! Please help me! I've only flown this about 6 times... I did wreck it once but it has been flown 4 times since with no problem!! Sorry if this is a repeat question.... also will having the gimble on make a difference??? Mines one right now with go pro in.

5ed960924df662d2adcd9b4a389ca8b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9300 using Tapatalk

As alluded to above, the Pixhawk documentation tells you the same thing. Once you've powered it up, don't move it.

So turn on solo, and don't move it for a few mins, then turn on controller? I've tried turning it on and not moving it, then when the app connects I try to calibrate levelness... the app still says error and the controller says calibration error in red.

Ok I tried leaving alone when I powered it on, it allowed me to do the compass calibration but it will won't allow me to do level calibration, won't let me fly or start motors

Any help? Sorry I'm new to the drone world and forums... I'm at a loss figuring this out

The whole "Don't move the solo every again once you power it on" was total BS. I believed it too. But it was simply not accurate. There was a problem with an previous firmware and people were drawing at straws. This is not a factor. The gyros calibrate when you power it on during the beeps and blinks. After that, it's done and you can move it around to your heart's content. There are further checks and calibrations when you arm for take off, but that's it.

If you are unable to do a level calibration under any circumstances, you probably have a hardware IMU failure. If it is still under warranty, 3DR will replace it. If it is not under warranty, or you don't want to wait, you can buy a new Pixhawk from mRo for $97. (3DR Pixhawk 2.0 Cube (SOLO Replacement))

I came across this post during a search because I have the same problem. I'm sorry that I can't offer any help at this time but if I come across something, I'll let you know.

Reactions: Redlegs11_5
Took my Solo to Puerta Vallarta had backpack all loaded long trip from NY. Got to do 2 flights with it and BAM!! calibration error.Spent time on chat with 3dr tech,sent tlogs,all I got were 2 flights and a FedEx label to send back.Really disappointed but shit happens.Next time I will bring spare parts on a trip.Lesson learned. It was a hardware IMU failure. Weird how it just happened no hard landing or anything that would have caused damage.

Took my Solo to Puerta Vallarta had backpack all loaded long trip from NY. Got to do 2 flights with it and BAM!! calibration error.Spent time on chat with 3dr tech,sent tlogs,all I got were 2 flights and a FedEx label to send back.Really disappointed but shit happens.Next time I will bring spare parts on a trip.Lesson learned. It was a hardware IMU failure. Weird how it just happened no hard landing or anything that would have caused damage.
Heck, I can do you one better. I flew mine through a battery. Turned it off, removed dead battery, installed fresh battery, turned it on and bang ! Calibration error...wth

Reactions: Cabo
That's what I did, changed battery and boom! I had about 6 flight on it. I got a FedEx label, hoping when I send it back they send me a new one.

Yea I just got a response, they're sending me another unit. Said is was the flight controller. I didn't argue but that's just plain weird. Flies perfectly and then bang, junk! It was the same my last problem when the controller refused to pair. They emailed me, after I returned it, that it needed to be replaced. I flew it on Tuesday, no problems. Saturday, junk. So weird!

Reactions: Russ Knight
I also wonder when I send mine back and they see the body is cracked, will they say it was my fault? Even tho its been flown 6 times since the wreck...

I also wonder when I send mine back and they see the body is cracked, will they say it was my fault? Even tho its been flown 6 times since the wreck...

Who knows? They didn't really ask me any questions. Who knows just how much they even look at these units when they get them back. You have to remember that they aren't making them anymore so "studying" what went wrong is somewhat of a waste of time. Like I said before, I seriously doubt that the Site Scan model uses the same electronics as the Solo. It's one thing when a $800 drone flies away, it's quite another when there's $13k involved.

Well ask me how I knew that would be the answer. Possibly because I've had that happen twice now. :)
Is there a flaw with the stock IMU?

There seems to be more posts concerning this failure. Is the cube that you have referred a few people to better or just a "like" replacement?

The first time it happened to mine, it was after getting bounced around in the back of the Jeep on a wheeling trip. It was in the 3DR bag, and it continued to work fine during and immediately after the trip that day. The next day, an IMU was dead in the morning. The second time it happened was the warranty replacement Solo from the first one. I flew it several times. No rough rides like the first one. Then an IMU died again. Very annoying. I can only assume the IMUs are not as robust as I would like them to be, but I do not have data or fact to back that up. I think we're seeing it more on the forum due to the number of new users in the last few months.

My warranty expires next month. Which coincidentally is when I'll be putting one of Phillp's new green cube Pixhawk 2.1s in it anyway. I suspect the IMUs in that will be more robust. And I will have the current stock Pixhawk as a spare. I also have a Best Buy fire sale spare whole set of everything in the basement. And I have that one that went for a swim that a forum member sent me for more spare parts. And a stock replacement Pixhawk from mRo is only $97. So it's not a huge concern for me. TBH, I might buy a spare from mRo just to keep in the bag for field repairs.

Reactions: Jubalr
The first time it happened to mine, it was after getting bounced around in the back of the Jeep on a wheeling trip. It was in the 3DR bag, and it continued to work fine during and immediately after the trip that day. The next day, an IMU was dead in the morning. The second time it happened was the warranty replacement Solo from the first one. I flew it several times. No rough rides like the first one. Then an IMU died again. Very annoying. I can only assume the IMUs are not as robust as I would like them to be, but I do not have data or fact to back that up. I think we're seeing it more on the forum due to the number of new users in the last few months.

My warranty expires next month. Which coincidentally is when I'll be putting one of Phillp's new green cube Pixhawk 2.1s in it anyway. I suspect the IMUs in that will be more robust. And I will have the current stock Pixhawk as a spare. I also have a Best Buy fire sale spare whole set of everything in the basement. And I have that one that went for a swim that a forum member sent me for more spare parts. And a stock replacement Pixhawk from mRo is only $97. So it's not a huge concern for me. TBH, I might buy a spare from mRo just to keep in the bag for field repairs.
I'm such a newbie in all of this I didn't know you could upgrade things...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela