Lets Talk Stabilization (post processing)

Reaction score
Having tweaked my solo to get the smoothest video possible its time to work in my stabilization work flow.
I own almost all the big ones and a few minor ones. The purpose of this thread would be to first showcase the different programs using the stock settings on the same footage to see how well they perform. and to explore some of the settings in each to see what the optimal product at different price points and the appropriate setting to achieve the highest quality video with out micro shakes.
Please feel free to share your settings and results as well.
The first one I wan to share is sort of a dark horse., I purchased Microsoft Hyperlapse pro to use in time lapse cables. well tonight just for giggles I wanted to see what it would do with no speed change just letting hyperlapse stabilize the footage.
I will be adding others to the thread,

As reference this solo is equipped with a ribbon cable and Rich's Isolation Mod, and T-motors on stock props

Microsoft Hyperlapse Speed 1x quality medium (49.00)
Hyperlapse is on the right, raw on the left
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mercalli v4 just default settings will try Steve's settings and repost (249.00) watch for specials

Prodrenalin all Default with no profile selected for flat lens. (48.00)

Premiere Pro Warp Stabilizer default except stabilize only so it did not scale (49 a month subscription)

Last edited:
Adobe After Effects Warp Stabilizer VFX stabilize only (49 monthly) part of the creative cloud subscription. There are a lot more options in AE for tracking and stabilizing, but they require a track point on your video. They would work for shorter clips where and object is in frame at all times. But on this clip there is no such object

Last edited:
it is amazingly fast compared to Mercalli, that one is processing now and has been for about 40 minutes on the same clip. It took less than 20 minutes on Hyperlapse
Will post the mercalli up shortly

Reactions: DrJugband
mercalli, Can do a really good job. I use it the most.
it is very good and the only one that I can tell that addresses cmos errors. What do you use for settings? I am comparing base default settings and I am sure it would be better with the correct tweaking

Unfortunately Mercalli for Mac isn't a full working version. I use the stabilization functions in imovie and FCPX and they do a good but not excellent job. Any suggestions for a Mac based stabilizer?
It kind of irks me that we have to still look por post-production solutions to get rid of those last shakes. Not a problem with any of my "white" birds. And I just recently asked a couple of D** employees to clarify whether the P3 and P4 cameras use EIS, and they were adamant that they did not.

some mac examples would be great to add though
since I am not a Mac owner we will need some of our apple brethren to contribute

Well, I just got Lock&Load X, a Mac plugin that works in FCPX, Premiere and After Effects. Will select a clip and do the stock stabilizer and then L&L and then post them.

Reactions: pyrate
Mercalli 4.0 1080p @60 fps
I think it does a wonderfull job & only diminishing color or clarity @ a min.
I may go & shoot same pattern but, @ 4K just to see it.
Setting are listed:
Stablizer.JPG
Mercall9 Settings.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrate
I seem to see a little fuzziness with it when I use it, but have never played with the sharpness adjustments in Mercalli, I like sharpening in lumetri

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40