Laser strike from half a mile away

Reaction score
Shining a laser pointer at a manned aircraft is illegal because of the obvious danger to the pilot(s). Shining a laser at a UAV with a camera is also dangerous to the camera (if close enough), and can cause the pilot's remote video feed to wash out, which is akin to blinding a pilot.

But nobody said that it's wrong to shine a laser at your OWN drone... IF it's far enough away, AND far from any other aircraft, AND you're prepared for video washout, for the sake of "science". So I did. Here's the result just after sunset (very few lights were on yet), at half a mile away (roughly 300 feet above take-off level). It's an ordinary green handheld laser pointer. I was surprised at how much video washout occurred even at that distance and time of day. The washout would be far worse, of course, later at night.

Bottom line: This result convinced me more than ever that shining a laser pointer at an airplane should be treated as if it were a physical attack on the aircraft, because it really is.

dronelaserhit.gif

That is an eye opener, Joe. Most laser vs aircraft incidents are at a lot closer distance, so the effect would be far greater for the pilots. I agree with you about classifying such incidents as an attack on aircraft. I also feel the punishment if caught, should be treated as such. That was a very revealing experiment. Thanks for sharing it with us.

There are also lasers a lot more powerful than that one. I have a 5 watt blue laser with about a 10 mile range that would probably burn the cmos sensor of the camera out.

Reactions: aidanlou
Thanks for sharing your experiment! Lasers is one major concern when I fly night VFR in a helicopter. I have the city lights to aid my visual reference and if I lose that it can be a major pucker factor.

Wow. That really puts the situation in perspective.

Yes that is for sure! Joe, this was great idea. I recently bought a laser flare for marine signaling (goes red or green) and I was curious to know what it looked like from the air. Holy smoke it puts the pyrotechnic flare to shame. The ad for mine said visible for 14 miles and now I believe it!

There are also lasers a lot more powerful than that one. I have a 5 watt blue laser with about a 10 mile range that would probably burn the cmos sensor of the camera out.
And some wayyyyyy more powerful than yours. I was an aircraft spotter for one a good 20 years ago that shot a 6 inch dia beam 25 miles straight up. It was out of the visible light spectrum so you couldn't see it but if an airplane flew through it and hit a pilot he would be blind!

And some wayyyyyy more powerful than yours. I was an aircraft spotter for one a good 20 years ago that shot a 6 inch dia beam 25 miles straight up. It was out of the visible light spectrum so you couldn't see it but if an airplane flew through it and hit a pilot he would be blind!

Just out of curiosity, what is best way to use laser like this to safely signal search and rescue aircraft?

Yes that is for sure! Joe, this was great idea. I recently bought a laser flare for marine signaling (goes red or green) and I was curious to know what it looked like from the air. Holy smoke it puts the pyrotechnic flare to shame. The ad for mine said visible for 14 miles and now I believe it!
How does that work given how directional a laser is?

The 'beam' is fan-shaped. The link below explains how these marine rescue lasers work and addresses the safety. These have been carried frequently with pilots, particularly those routinely flying over water. I've had a red laser model for years and they are a very small and effective personal device, easily and safely carried in a flight suit or life jacket. Disclaimer though: I've never had to be rescued and use these in actual practice.
How do Greatland Laser rescue lasers work?

Reactions: Solo Keith
How does that work given how directional a laser is?

Joe's post shows me that aircraft could see the beam and track to its source very easily from the air so long as beam is not coming straight into eyes of pilot/observer. That is what caused me to ask how would you avoid flashing signal into pilot eyes if you cannot see plane and don't know the direction it may be coming? SARDG's post is one of the exact marine signaling devices I was originally referring to. Thanks for that SARDG. The one in your brochure has a broad red beam. I wonder if that may be easier on pilot eyes than one with a pinpoint green beam ?

...The one in your brochure has a broad red beam. I wonder if that may be easier on pilot eyes than one with a pinpoint green beam ?
Allegedly, yes, even though a green beam is generally superior to a red beam, the pinpoint would be more difficult to see - and I believe potentially more damaging to a pilot's eyes if they were struck.

why-pointers-dont-work.gif

rescue-fan.gif

"Federal Law allows an EXCEPTION for laser emergency signaling devices to send a distress signal to aircraft.

In February 2012, the United States Congress passed into law HR658 authorizing appropriations for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for fiscal years 2011 through 2014. Included in the law is Section 311 "Prohibition Against Aiming a Laser Pointer at an Aircraft". Section 311 39A(c)(3) on page 56 specifically exempts "an individual using a laser emergency signaling devices to send an emergency distress signal."

Greatland Laser has sold its patented laser emergency signaling devices throughout the world for over 10 years. We have never had a safety issue with the products. Under the exception provided in this federal law, Rescue Lasers are legal to signal an aircraft for help in an emergency."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea