Landing on a slope?

Reaction score
Stupid question perhaps, but If-- for whatever reason-- you have no choice but to land on a slope, I assume that it's a given Solo will tip over? Of course the steepness of the slope would have a lot to do with it but wondering if presented with that kind of situation if there's any way to potentially minimize any damage if one had to put it down in a fairly steep area..

Be ready to do the emergency shutdown so the motors don't stall out for very long.

I wouldn't land on the slope. I'd hover about 6 inches off the ground and then kill the motors. If you're skilled enough, land the back/front ... scratch that ..... try to have at least 2 legs touching the slope first, then kill the motors.

Practice killing the motors on level ground first though.. Practice a lot so that it becomes second nature.

Reactions: Scott Bush
I have done this , it will not land...it will touch down and try to adjust and take off again

I wouldn't land on the slope. I'd hover about 6 inches off the ground and then kill the motors. If you're skilled enough, land the back/front ... scratch that ..... try to have at least 2 legs touching the slope first, then kill the motors.

Practice killing the motors on level ground first though.. Practice a lot so that it becomes second nature.
How do you kill the motors

Another option would be to have Solo hover in front of you and you catch it and lower the throttle and the motors will stop. I have done this on several times without any issues!

Another option would be to have Solo hover in front of you and you catch it and lower the throttle and the motors will stop. I have done this on several times without any issues!

Until you get caught by one of the blades.... It only takes 1 time.. I still have propeller scars to this day.

Until you get caught by one of the blades.... It only takes 1 time.. I still have propeller scars to this day.

IMHO. Like flying manual, hand catching takes practice. Lots of variables that can go wrong like high winds or gusts that can push the drone into you.

Nevertheless what I do and have done for over 1000 hours of flight in the last 4 years is hover above me so I am reaching up for the grab. I fly in the desert with very uneven terrain. Landing on the ground increases the risk. Get under the drone, reach up, grab and cut the motors with the stick down and to the left. Again a skill worth learning but practice is the key.

I dont know about you @VideoArch but I really like the landing gear on the solo for landing but its a hard bird for me to hand catch.

so I am reaching up

+1 On the few occasions I have done this with Solo, I reached up and grabbed the body rather than the legs. Different than my others.

With a little practice you can do it with one hand, which gives you a free hand to perform the F# chord on the controller and shut it down.

So far the Solo has a pretty low center of gravity, which will get lower with the gimbal, and so it is very stable on landings. Haven't tried landing on a slope, but wanted to try this just in case I might need it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc