Land in Manual Mode

Reaction score
I have a really dumb question but I was out practicing flying in fly:Manual (you know, for when shit hits the fan) and I was able to get it to take off just fine, and land, but once hitting the ground, what do I do to cut the motors?

Hold the throttle stick down and to the left.

I just hold the stick straight down (in the middle, not to the left). Works fine. Does also holding it to the left kill the motors faster or something? I'm afraid to experiment with it, since throwing the stick to the left seems like it's inviting Solo to go dancing and flip over.

I just hold the stick straight down (in the middle, not to the left). Works fine. Does also holding it to the left kill the motors faster or something? I'm afraid to experiment with it, since throwing the stick to the left seems like it's inviting Solo to go dancing and flip over.
That's what I do as well. Not sure what pulling the stick down AND to the left would do that pulling it straight down doesn't do.

Well, I understand that in the Pixhawk, down and to the left is shut down, where down and to the right is arm while in manual mode. Can the more software-experienced types chime in here?

Well, I understand that in the Pixhawk, down and to the left is shut down, where down and to the right is arm while in manual mode. Can the more software-experienced types chime in here?
That's correct and has been in there for the original Pixhawk and the APM series before that. It's before all this' push button stuff' they are putting in now. Left stick down and to the right will arm (even in fly mode) and down and to the left will kill the motors. It is how I start and stop every time I fly. Old habits die hard but it works well for me.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but is the "down and left" 2 separate moves. As in: pull down, then push left? Or is it a diagonal, single move to the bottom left?

That's correct and has been in there for the original Pixhawk and the APM series before that. It's before all this' push button stuff' they are putting in now. Left stick down and to the right will arm (even in fly mode) and down and to the left will kill the motors. It is how I start and stop every time I fly. Old habits die hard but it works well for me.
Do you know how this is different than just pulling the left stick straight down all the way? When Solo touches ground, after about 2 seconds the motors shut off. I'm not holding the stick to the left at all, just straight down.

Do you know how this is different than just pulling the left stick straight down all the way? When Solo touches ground, after about 2 seconds the motors shut off. I'm not holding the stick to the left at all, just straight down.
I'm sure the code is in there and all things being equal, if Solo has determined it has landed then there may not be a difference. And FW improvements have made this better. But in early on there were tests when Solo had trouble knowing it had landed and wanted to continue flying or flip on uneven surfaces. The bottom left command was just a short cut to get it to behave. But it was a habit before Solo and I figure no harm in always being PIC..

So simple answer to my question; just hold the left stick down. Thanks everyone ;)

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but is the "down and left" 2 separate moves. As in: pull down, then push left? Or is it a diagonal, single move to the bottom left?
If you want to use this method, it is "pull down, then push left".

Reactions: Raybro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado