Karma is coming...

Wow. I would definitly be interested in knowing the impact on post production workflow.

I'll definitely post how it works out once I get it. I have other uses for it beside aerial stuff, but if it works, I'm thinking a light, small quad with a single servo to control camera pitch and (hopefully) let that stabilize the rest.

I'm leaning toward a "system" of camera, gimbal and 'drone'. Not sure how it will all play out but I like the shots I'm seeing.

Anyway, I find it interesting that the last 3 Karma videos are non-athletic. GoPro going for a much broader audience.

And... Watching all 4 videos is awe inspiring (yes, a fan boy here).

1st video (from bottom), skier goes downhill with drone in hand adi it sails upwards as he executes his flip.

2nd video. Going through forest very VERY smoothly and nary a leaf is tossled. Guessing shot at 4K and pushed in?

3rd. Fuggedaboudit.

4th. If the other 3 are possible, 4th video (library) is doable. How? I have no idea, but that's where the excitement comes in!

We will see behind the scenes videos of each of these. Today's audience is super savvy and skeptical as shown by this thread. So they will deliver the goods or we'll all know within the first few minutes after the launch.

I wanna believe!!

I just don't understand how they can imply that they have a drone capable of flying thru a library and taking paths thru bookshelves without having such a product. It looked like one continuous shot right? If their drone can't do this then that would be bad. At the very least there has to be an FPV component to this as there's no way that library scene was autonomous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't understand how they can imply that they have a drone capable of flying thru a library and taking paths thru bookshelves without having such a product.

You're assuming Karma is just a drone. If the camera is detachable and has built in stabilization, or if it's in a gimbal and that is detachable and useable on it's own, then the videos make perfect sense - use it on the drone for aerials, or handheld for indoor and other shots.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
A couple of video stills Karma drone, blown up 600%. Maybe or maybe not CGI. We will soon find out.

Attachments

• GoPro Karma Drone 1.png
    GoPro Karma Drone 1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • GoPro Karma Drone 2.png
    GoPro Karma Drone 2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Wow, looks awesome. Price is reasonable, although I'm not regretting my 2nd Solo for $500.

Wonder if they licensed any tech from 3DR with respect to the smart shots. Also wonder if this played into 3DR's decision to exit the consumer market. Honestly, I love the Solo, but if I were buying today, this is impossible to beat given the detachable gimbal, backpack included, etc. Love that it works with Hero 4 too.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
It has a lot of potential if they develop the auto shots. Out of the gate they look rudimentary (2-point cable cam, unless they just aren't showing the ability for multipoints). Also the one cable cam clip in the video demo video looks a bit abrupt in the movement between points.

Does it have any propellers??

Oh! ...that's right, it doesn't ...it's the first of the revolutionary handheld drones. 100% failsafe from falling out of the sky. Guaranteed! OR your money back!!! A never been seen drone before ...years ahead of it's time.

lol
I detect a faint note of sarcasm. . .

Reactions: 13nikos62
Yeah, I think you nailed that.

It seemed logical based on what's realistically possible with current tech (as in the library scene was clearly not a drone shot), and what GoPro could realistically do to set their platform apart from others. Just another Phantom/Solo/Typhoon type drone would have as hard a time against DJI's mindshare as Solo did.

It seemed logical based on what's realistically possible with current tech (as in the library scene was clearly not a drone shot), and what GoPro could realistically do to set their platform apart from others. Just another Phantom/Solo/Typhoon type drone would have as hard a time against DJI's mindshare as Solo did.
I think they have a pretty awesome marketing idea with this Karma system.That may save their company - or at least make them more 'buyable' (as in something like Apple buying the company).

I think they have a pretty awesome marketing idea with this Karma system.That may save their company - or at least make them more 'buyable' (as in something like Apple buying the company).
The folding, transportable drone I think is the next place things will go, drone-wise.

I'm going to watch Powereye, and see where that goes. Meanwhile, I will play with my Solos until they fall out of the sky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela