Just bought a Solo and cannot get past pre-flight

Reaction score
I just purchased the BB combo and I cannot seem to get past the preflight configuration.

The controller boots up and shows Preflight update required. I power on the drone and it goes through different LED colors and finally ends with solid White and Red LEDs.

I can connect to the WiFi with my Android tablet. When it tries to do the update, it says it cannot connect to the Solo drone.

I did a factory reset on the controller with no issue.

I tried to do a factory reset on the drone by pressing the pair button for 15 seconds when powering it on. I never get the flashing pair LED. I see a faint orange glow from the pair LED, but it's on solid not flashing.

have you read the user manual yet .....probably no need to do a factory reset....

Once the Solo requests a firmware update, you need to disconnect from Sololink and connect with the internet to download updates. Once the update has been downloaded, reconnect with Solo to update it. You can't be connected to a Solo and the internet at the same time unless on a cellular connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Contact customer support before performing a Factory Reset. This procedure can cause irreparable damage to Solo.

Stated in Manual...

So reconnect to Sololink...power up Controller & Solo & the update should work...

Unfortunately, I still cannot connect. I can connect to the sololink WiFi, but the app never connects to the controller to do the preflight update.

I just installed the app on my iPad Mini (I was using an Android tablet at first), downloaded the update, then tried to connect to the controller. Still fails.

This was an open box from Best Buy. I had some coupons and other discounts and got the combo with the gimbal, second battery and extra props for only $235. I may try to return it and buy a new, unopened Solo for $299 instead. Maybe this one was returned because there was something wrong with it. It has obviously never been flown. It still had the clear protective plastic on everything and the paper direction indicators on the motors.

dont give up yet.....download the update on the ipad mini....then reconnect to Sololink on your ipad mini..& try updating..

I've already tried that. After downloading the update, I try to connect, it has me connect to the Sololink WiFi, then it never connects to the controller.

Try Live Chat with 3DR support.....not sure they are online yet.....

when you turn on Controller does it indicate "Perform Pre-flight Update"

Very odd.....that you have

1. Downloaded the update.
2. Controller & Solo are paired ( I assume )
3. Controller indicates "Perform Pre-Flight Update"
4. You can connect to sololink WiFi.
5. Open up the Solo App ( I assume you have this as well )
6. Turn on Controller & Turn on Solo
7. But yet can't perform update ( odd )

Its possible the controller and Solo are not paired. I've tried pressing the pair button on the Solo and I cannot get the flashing pair LED.

Did you do this after it detected the Solo ??

Press A, then B and hold both buttons down. Once the controller vibrates, release the buttons. Within 20 seconds, the Controller displays “Solo Paired.”

I am sure you already read this & tried it:

Pairing the Controller
Turn off the Solo and the controller that you want to pair, along with any other Solos and controllers nearby.

Power on the Solo and controller that you want to pair.

Wait 30 seconds for Solo and the controller to fully boot up.

Identify the Pair button underneath Solo. It’s a small button inside the hole labeled Pair. You’ll need to use a paper clip, a small screwdriver, or another similar tool to push it.

Press the Pair button underneath Solo and hold for one second.

When the controller detects Solo, it prompts you to accept the pairing request as seen in the screen below. (If the controller does not detect Solo after thirty seconds, try pressing the Pair button underneath Solo again and repeat as needed.)

Press A, then B and hold both buttons down. Once the controller vibrates, release the buttons. Within 20 seconds, the Controller displays “Solo Paired.

I believe their live chat support is right here in San Diego.....your best bet to resolve your problem if you get frustrated enough.....

Live Chat

Available hours: 8am - 5pm PST

When I press the pair button, I never get the flashing pair LED or the message on the controller that it detected the Solo.

I'll try their live chat.

After almost 90 minutes chatting with support at 3DR we got it working. Had to factory reset the drone and controller and pair them again, then force the system update again and everything is working now. It's too wet outside to go flying, but everything connects now.

Word of advice....do not do a factory reset again......I believe you panicked at the very beginning & went down that road.....

Glad you got it working.......you will enjoy your first flight....I did

I also had the same problem you describe with a new bb combo, what worked for me after several tries was to uninstall the app and redownload the update, save the wifi network settings for the controller (i was still using the default from the controller) in my phone turn on the controller connect to controller wifi then open the app at this point i was able to update the controller. After that i switched everythi g off turned the quad on then the controller and the app and i was able to update solo firmware.

Weird thing for me was that after update i was able to fly but the app was not connecting to the quad so i was unablr to change some settings. On my second fly with a fresh battery all was good.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela