It's dead, Jim

All so very true and even being fairly new to quads this being my second just knowing electronics there was no doubt that we'd have some issues to work out. I'm riding it out regaurdless yea I've had some issues but I expected to. In all honesty I think they've done a good job with damage control and all the issues are brought up over and over I'd bet the percentage of actual solo caused crashes with more than prop damage is very small. My support tickets been a couple days but I assume they are pretty swamped and expect it to take a while. I'd bet if some tried through diy or Facebook they would recieve help and be back in the air unless parts are required. Any way it goes if you want the newest advances in tech you eventually have to have patience cause sooner or later you will probably experience some problems maybe even down time. If your happy with today's tested tech that's cool wait or buy a phantom 2 and still possibly have issues p3 has some too, but if you'd rather help to test and perfect tomorrow's with a warranty like this there's no way too lose, until 30 days past gimbal arrival your risking little if anything. That means 3dr will do their best to fix any and all issues fast as they can cause they're the ones losing at this point not us.
Issues or not I love mine and it's not going anywhere.
I just hope they keep up the good work and we see our gimbal soon.

All this said in the ops shoes I'd be anxious to get at least some answers I'm surprised a fire hasn't been a priority type issue. Have you tried the sites 3dr guys frequent at all Mark?

No, I haven't. What sites do they frequent? Maybe I am being a bit harsh and impatient, I did expect that issues probably would be dealt with slowly, but to have no response after speaking with support and providing the requested log files is kind of irritating.

My issue really is that I wasn't even offered a replacement. They asked for the log files to see what went wrong. Fine, check the logs, but I had the thing for less than 24 hours, send me a replacement to get me back in the air, and review all the logs you want when I send mine in. That's really my issue. And when I spoke to support to get a status update today, I was told that I should've been offered a replacment, and she (the tech support agent) didn't know why I wasn't. They had the logs for 6 or 7 days now and I was told it would be another 5-7 days before they would be finished reviewing the logs. So I'd likely have to wait another 2 or 3 weeks before I'm able to fly again.

So yeah, I'm a bit frustrated.

Totally understand I'd be feeling the same and it seems you should be offered a replacement. I forget exactly what happened in your case but I do remember the burnt pic. Seems your the only one that had this happen that I've seen, maybe that's why they are reviewing carefully before replacing, but you'd think they'd try to expedite it a bit, especially if it's possible others could flare up too. Anyway best responses I've seen to crash issues have been on DIY drones, the first weekend Chris the ceo of 3dr was on there helping with a report and he brought a guy in that I think was head of engineering. I did see some ignored but these were the ones who came in talking bad about 3dr and being a pain. Those who came in respectfully and posted threads about their issues seemed to get help. I've not looked latley and they may not still be doing this directly but it's worth a shot, I'd bet you'll get a response especially with a fire or close to it and it being such a rare issue. I know if I had a hand in building or owned the company and I saw this issue it would grab my attention. I avoid Facebook but have heard employees help there as well. I can't blame you for being upset I would be too in your case but hopefully all will be worked out soon, maybe call and talk to a manager since one won't give you a replacement and another asked why you didn't get one. The squeaky wheel gets grease but your best bet is to try to be as calm and polite as you can manage I'd think. Good luck hope your back up in the air soon.

This brings up a good point.

What about us that bought a Solo on version 1.0 of the firmware and had some pretty serious crashes?

In my case I had two mishaps, both related to sudden GPS corrections and both ended up with the Solo on its back triggering a “Crash Detected” audio alert but still running the motors at high speed and grinding the props down to numbs. (3DR reviewed my logs and is supposedly sending me two complete sets of props, but I have yet to receive them.)

Motors 1 and 2 now feel “clunky” compared to 3 and 4, but it seems to fly ok so far.

I’m starting to think that I should go ahead and return this Solo then buy a new one when the Gimbal is released so I can reset the 30 Day refund.
This way I can evaluate how it performs with the Gimbal.
As it is without it, the video footage is so jelloed, it’s useless.

That said, I really like my Solo.
I just don't want to get stuck paying for motors that burn out due to problems they had with the firmware.

Also, I'm sure that there are people from 3DR that read these posts.
Why no input?
Your silence is deafening.

Most of us are on your side, but we need your support!

Last edited:
Update.

Well, I opened a support case over a week ago and haven't heard anything back. Tried calling support yesterday and never got through. I'm really ticked now being that I'm still in the 30-day money back guarantee and a replacement wasn't offered to begin with. I've just spent another 45 minutes on support and still got no satisfaction. In any case, I'm done. Solo is obviously not ready and I'm sending it back.

I guess you can chalk me up as another Phantom convert.

Thanks for the help and the welcome, regardless.
I ordered one from BH in NY, 1st one arrived DOA wouldnt pair to controller called tech support talk to a person ( my wife knew more than he did ) then got he disconnected the call, called back waiting another 20 min got someone else he talked me through resetting everything nothing worked told me it would take 4 weeks or more to get a new one , to call BH TO GET A REPLACEMT , they didn't have any either! Found one at a best buy 3.5 hour drive took the drive got it flew it and all it did was loose connection to solo from controller, called tech support again this time around waited on hold for 30 min for a recording to say they were busy and to hang up on me!!!! NICE! After all of this horror returning mine to best buy calling it quits with 3DR and going back to my old friend the Blade QX3 , took off the Cgo camera gimbal picked up a 15$ go pro mount for the blade popped my hero 4 black on and I am trouble free now. ! So I don't have cable cam and orbit I can fly my drone don't need the added head aches from solo this is supposed to be fun! I'll continue to use my great blade QX3 until the phantom 4 comes out and give that a try! You are not alone here!

I ordered one from BH in NY, 1st one arrived DOA wouldnt pair to controller called tech support talk to a person ( my wife knew more than he did ) then got he disconnected the call, called back waiting another 20 min got someone else he talked me through resetting everything nothing worked told me it would take 4 weeks or more to get a new one , to call BH TO GET A REPLACEMT , they didn't have any either! Found one at a best buy 3.5 hour drive took the drive got it flew it and all it did was loose connection to solo from controller, called tech support again this time around waited on hold for 30 min for a recording to say they were busy and to hang up on me!!!! NICE! After all of this horror returning mine to best buy calling it quits with 3DR and going back to my old friend the Blade QX3 , took off the Cgo camera gimbal picked up a 15$ go pro mount for the blade popped my hero 4 black on and I am trouble free now. ! So I don't have cable cam and orbit I can fly my drone don't need the added head aches from solo this is supposed to be fun! I'll continue to use my great blade QX3 until the phantom 4 comes out and give that a try! You are not alone here!

It's unfortunate that once you got a Solo that is actually in the air that you gave up so quickly. What happens when GM, Honda or Chrysler makes a mistake, they do a recall and they get the problem fixed. The problem you're having now is a very simple fix. Calibrate the sticks..

Your anticipation with receiving Solo combined with the 3.5 drive has you on edge. At this point no one is experiencing a problem that there isn't already a resolution for. It's unfortunate that the popularity of Solo and the shortage of stock has everyone in a frenzy but geesh, these things happen with all new technology.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421