Issues with Hero 4 black and iPhone

Reaction score
I am using a GoPro Hero 4 Black with my Solo.

The GoPro is having several functionality issues only when used with the Solo app. I upgraded to the latest GoPro software last night and had normal functionality with the GoPro Capture app as well as using the GoPro manually. I spoke to GoPro technical support and they suggested this is a 3DR issue as the unit only seems to mis-function when used with the Solo app. The issues I’m listing below were present before the latest GoPro software upgrade but I was not able to address until now due being away for the past 3 months.

GoPro settings. (I also tested the GoPro on HD instead of 2.7k and still had the same issues)
  • 60 fps (GoPro’s new linear FOV setting is only available in 24 & 30 fps unfortunately but worth the elimination of the fisheye distortion)
  • Medium FOV (or linear FOV)
  • Protune on
  • Color set to flat
  • Sharpness set to medium
  • ISO limit set to 400
  • Shutter auto
  • Low light off
  • Spot meter off
  • EV comp zero

GoPro issues when used with Solo:
  1. Powering Down. Doesn't consistently power down with the drone. When this happens it freezes up and the battery must be removed from the GoPro to restore response to button inputs.
  2. File Corrupted Icon. I'm sometimes getting a file repair icon on the GoPro after the unit freezes up after powering down the Solo. To eliminate the possibility of the mico-SD card being the issue I tested two different micro SD cards (San Disk Extreme Plus 64 Gb U3 & San Disk Extreme 16 Gb U1). Both cards are high quality, have been formatted in the GoPro before testing yesterday. Both cards are recommended by GoPro and I was told would work fine with my settings. I got the problem with both cards so the problem is not the card.
  3. False Record Stops. Often the GoPro stops recording in the middle of a flight or even before my take off although I never inputted a stop record command. (I still have the 720p wireless feed saved directly to my Android tablet picture/video gallery so I know camera was still functioning it just somehow got a false stop record command from the app.)
  4. Different Crop between Standby and Record Image. Changing aspect ratio and crop between video standby image and video record image. There is a significant difference between the image on my tablet before and after initiating the record command through the Solo app. The image is cropped and squeezed/distorted when recording is started and goes back to a normal image when recording is stopped. This only showed up since I’ve updated the GoPro software. This anomaly does not appear when I use 24 fps and linear FOV. I cycled through different frame rates and it appears the higher the frame rate the more noticeable the crop effect.
  5. GoPro Requires Manual Power Up. Sometimes the GoPro doesn’t power up with the Solo and I have to remove it and power it up manually or press the power button while it’s in the gimbal. I confirmed that the gimbal is getting power and functional during such instances.
  6. Linear Mode. The linear FOV mode doesn’t show up as an option in the Solo camera settings interface once I switch to a different FOV from within the app. If I set the GoPro to linear FOV before I install it on the Solo the linear FOV settings does appear in the Solo app camera settings interface.

Additionally I can no longer get my iPhone to connect to the Solo wifi. I have previously connected this phone with my Solo on many flights. I have been away for 3 months and have upgraded to iOS 10 since my last flight, that is my only change with the phone. The Solo does appear in my wifi list on my iPhone and I can select it but is has an orange “!” over the wifi bars icon and the app cannot connect to the Solo.

Warmest Regards,

Sean Matic
[email protected]
Cell 646-258-4500

Reactions: Coastwise
I am using a GoPro Hero 4 Black with my Solo.

The GoPro is having several functionality issues only when used with the Solo app. I upgraded to the latest GoPro software last night and had normal functionality with the GoPro Capture app as well as using the GoPro manually. I spoke to GoPro technical support and they suggested this is a 3DR issue as the unit only seems to mis-function when used with the Solo app. The issues I’m listing below were present before the latest GoPro software upgrade but I was not able to address until now due being away for the past 3 months.

GoPro settings. (I also tested the GoPro on HD instead of 2.7k and still had the same issues)
  • 60 fps (GoPro’s new linear FOV setting is only available in 24 & 30 fps unfortunately but worth the elimination of the fisheye distortion)
  • Medium FOV (or linear FOV)
  • Protune on
  • Color set to flat
  • Sharpness set to medium
  • ISO limit set to 400
  • Shutter auto
  • Low light off
  • Spot meter off
  • EV comp zero

GoPro issues when used with Solo:
  1. Powering Down. Doesn't consistently power down with the drone. When this happens it freezes up and the battery must be removed from the GoPro to restore response to button inputs.
  2. File Corrupted Icon. I'm sometimes getting a file repair icon on the GoPro after the unit freezes up after powering down the Solo. To eliminate the possibility of the mico-SD card being the issue I tested two different micro SD cards (San Disk Extreme Plus 64 Gb U3 & San Disk Extreme 16 Gb U1). Both cards are high quality, have been formatted in the GoPro before testing yesterday. Both cards are recommended by GoPro and I was told would work fine with my settings. I got the problem with both cards so the problem is not the card.
  3. False Record Stops. Often the GoPro stops recording in the middle of a flight or even before my take off although I never inputted a stop record command. (I still have the 720p wireless feed saved directly to my Android tablet picture/video gallery so I know camera was still functioning it just somehow got a false stop record command from the app.)
  4. Different Crop between Standby and Record Image. Changing aspect ratio and crop between video standby image and video record image. There is a significant difference between the image on my tablet before and after initiating the record command through the Solo app. The image is cropped and squeezed/distorted when recording is started and goes back to a normal image when recording is stopped. This only showed up since I’ve updated the GoPro software. This anomaly does not appear when I use 24 fps and linear FOV. I cycled through different frame rates and it appears the higher the frame rate the more noticeable the crop effect.
  5. GoPro Requires Manual Power Up. Sometimes the GoPro doesn’t power up with the Solo and I have to remove it and power it up manually or press the power button while it’s in the gimbal. I confirmed that the gimbal is getting power and functional during such instances.
  6. Linear Mode. The linear FOV mode doesn’t show up as an option in the Solo camera settings interface once I switch to a different FOV from within the app. If I set the GoPro to linear FOV before I install it on the Solo the linear FOV settings does appear in the Solo app camera settings interface.

Additionally I can no longer get my iPhone to connect to the Solo wifi. I have previously connected this phone with my Solo on many flights. I have been away for 3 months and have upgraded to iOS 10 since my last flight, that is my only change with the phone. The Solo does appear in my wifi list on my iPhone and I can select it but is has an orange “!” over the wifi bars icon and the app cannot connect to the Solo.

Warmest Regards,

Sean Matic
[email protected]
Cell 646-258-4500
Before we dive to deep on this, can you just confirm that you've got Wifi on your GoPro disabled.

Also always confirm you GoPro is properly and fully seated into the gimbal. The back connector especially. It can look like it's all the way in, and work fine for awhile, but then break down or behave oddly. So really make sure it's fully seated and locked in to all connectors.

Before we dive to deep on this, can you just confirm that you've got Wifi on your GoPro disabled.

Also always confirm you GoPro is properly and fully seated into the gimbal. The back connector especially. It can look like it's all the way in, and work fine for awhile, but then break down or behave oddly. So really make sure it's fully seated and locked in to all connectors.

Thank you for the response Erik, sorry it took me so long to get back.

Yes, wifi is always off on my GoPro when used with Solo.

I ended up chatting online with 3dr tech support and resetting the Solo & controller.

Cellular data had to be turned off on my iPhone to get the wifi connection to work (which never used to be the case strangely enough). I was told powering up and powering down the GoPro would have to be done manually now. The different aspect ratio issue went away after resetting the unit. I never really fully resolved the phantom record stop issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo