Is Solo allergic to silicon?

Reaction score
After learning the hard way that Solo doesn't like Loctite, I am wondering if silicon caulk is compatible with the Solo body. I'm wanting to attach some LED strobes and was thinking of using a small dab of silicon caulk to do so.

What say ye?

Russ

I've used RTV and silicone caulk on Solo's main frame with no ill effects. And both released cleanly once cured.

Some RTV's do react on copper in a negative way, so read any cautions for the adhesive you've chosen and for what you are bonding.

Reactions: Russ Knight
3M double sided works fine for me. Plus RMRC led's white front & red rear. Very viable.

Attachments

• SOLO In Flight 2-26-17.JPG
    SOLO In Flight 2-26-17.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 42
After learning the hard way that Solo doesn't like Loctite, I am wondering if silicon caulk is compatible with the Solo body. I'm wanting to attach some LED strobes and was thinking of using a small dab of silicon caulk to do so.

What say ye?

Russ
Get this: Brite Lite LED lighting system

And you won't have to worry about that.

I use these standalone LED strobes...Strobon brand too like Russ Knight.

Strobe

I cut a notch out of a strip of Velcro, half way through, the 'fluffy' side. I then trim back the fluff with a razor for a section around the notch as long as the unit is wide, so it doesn't obscure the LED itself. I then wrap the whole piece around the light unit, 90 degrees to the mini USB socket, leaving the fluffy side undeneath and the notch fitted around the LED. The button still works fine through the Velcro. Then stick a square of the 'hook' bit of the Velcro where ever you want the LED. Hasn't fallen off yet!

I use them top and bottom, mostly for conspicuity rather than orientation.

Strobon are now doing standalone with Cree LED, which should be brighter but I'm happy with what I've got now.

No comparison with Maddog's Brite Lights kit though - that really does look top notch!

Attachments

• 1489514064958-1131006046.jpg
    915.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I use these standalone LED strobes...Strobon brand too like Russ Knight.

Strobe

I cut a notch out of a strip of Velcro, half way through, the 'fluffy' side. I then trim back the fluff with a razor for a section around the notch as long as the unit is wide, so it doesn't obscure the LED itself. I then wrap the whole piece around the light unit, 90 degrees to the mini USB socket, leaving the fluffy side undeneath and the notch fitted around the LED. The button still works fine through the Velcro. Then stick a square of the 'hook' bit of the Velcro where ever you want the LED. Hasn't fallen off yet!

I use them top and bottom, mostly for conspicuity rather than orientation.

Strobon are now doing standalone with Cree LED, which should be brighter but I'm happy with what I've got now.

No comparison with Maddog's Brite Lights kit though - that really does look top notch!
Very ingenious! I tinkered a lot with the Strobon stuff and they are pretty cool.

A bit of ingenuity and a lot of being too scared to do the more intrusive mods! We haven't seen the fire sale bounty over this side of the water yet so I tend to wrap my Solo in cotton wool! I did splash out on an open box spare, but now I can't bring myself to strip her for spares....she deserves to fly too! :)

A bit of ingenuity and a lot of being too scared to do the more intrusive mods! We haven't seen the fire sale bounty over this side of the water yet so I tend to wrap my Solo in cotton wool! I did splash out on an open box spare, but now I can't bring myself to strip her for spares....she deserves to fly too! :)
Sounds like shipping from Flytron is cheaper to your house than mine!

Reactions: DJMc

What say ye?

Russ
This works great for adhering silicon. Like RichWest said, comes off Solo cleanly. Clean surfaces first with rubbing alcohol to insure best bond. Comes in clear also.
View media item 572

i use the polar pro leds and love them has anyone compared them to the lite brite? which do you think is better and why maybe i'll throw some others on my other solo. I've been giving each one different mods. I'm torn between the fpvlr and alphas each has their pros and cons.

i use the polar pro leds and love them has anyone compared them to the lite brite? which do you think is better and why maybe i'll throw some others on my other solo. I've been giving each one different mods. I'm torn between the fpvlr and alphas each has their pros and cons.
Polar Pros use 2 strips of cheap 1W led's.

Brite Lite uses 2 hi-power 3W led's up front (standard red-green aviation format) to help provide orientation assistance.
In back are 2 hi-power 5W white led's and a 5W red led which provide an alternating aviation double-flash strobe which comply with FAA regulations for drones operated at night or during civil twilight.

Bright Lite can be used with the front Polar Pro lights with minor modification.

I had the Polar Pro LEDS on my Solo until I saw the Brite Lite's. There is no comparison. I can see the Brite Lites at least 3 times farther during the day. At night, forget about it. The Brite Lites are like a regular plane in the dark. I highly recommend them. I haven't had any experience with the alpha antennas, but I do have the FPVLR, and I love them. I can fly with tree canopies between me and my Solo, and haven't lost signal once. I hope this helps you a little, and good luck.

Reactions: Maddog
I had the Polar Pro LEDS on my Solo until I saw the Brite Lite's. There is no comparison. I can see the Brite Lites at least 3 times farther during the day. At night, forget about it. The Brite Lites are like a regular plane in the dark. I highly recommend them. I haven't had any experience with the alpha antennas, but I do have the FPVLR, and I love them. I can fly with tree canopies between me and my Solo, and haven't lost signal once. I hope this helps you a little, and good luck.

Thanks, I'll have to get the other lights. I like that they have collision avoidance.

I have the fpvlr as my main antenna and love it as well, it's just a bit cumbersome and takes extra care attaching it. The alpha antennas are pretty close the fpvlr but way easier to pull out and throw on. When I'm actually going to drain some batteries I go for the fpvlr, when I'm just going to have a quick flight 30-60 minutes I use the alpha's. I haven't done a range test to see any actual difference but the fpvlr costs so much more it gives me more peace of mind. I'll test them both this weekend somewhere with lots of interference near Downtown LA(with permission of course) and see which outperforms the other.

Thanks, I'll have to get the other lights. I like that they have collision avoidance.

I have the fpvlr as my main antenna and love it as well, it's just a bit cumbersome and takes extra care attaching it. The alpha antennas are pretty close the fpvlr but way easier to pull out and throw on. When I'm actually going to drain some batteries I go for the fpvlr, when I'm just going to have a quick flight 30-60 minutes I use the alpha's. I haven't done a range test to see any actual difference but the fpvlr costs so much more it gives me more peace of mind. I'll test them both this weekend somewhere with lots of interference near Downtown LA(with permission of course) and see which outperforms the other.
Like I said, I have no experience with the Alpha's, but I did a controlled range test with the FPVLR's in an area with no wifi, and I got out to 1.2 miles before calling it quits. I had 2 bars left on the controller, but didn't want to press my luck. I have no reason to fly out that far, but boys will be boys...;)

@TonySloth, I too use the FPVLR most of the time. Short flights just buzzing around my house I use the stock antennas.

I tried the Alphas but they were no better or worse than stock. Do you find they are working better than stock?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela