Intermittent motor?

Reaction score
Hello All, I've had my solo on about 10 flights, no crashes or issues. After the most recent flight I went to take off with a fresh battery and noticed that one of the motors was missing a beat and sorta pulsing. I took a video (see below) and you'll notice the sound and the inconsistent speed. Any idea if this is just a loose connection or is the pod going bad?

Also, does 3DR still support the warranty on the solo?

Thank you!

https://goo.gl/photos/ueQNzDkKPV1K18pW9

That is odd. Does it feel differently when turned by hand? Have you ever oiled them?

I've never oiled them but I assumed there was no need this early on. It doesn't feel any different when turned but as you'll notice in the video it stops before the others do. My fear is that it's the driver board.

Sounds like something is caught inside the motor, could be a number of things. Take the motor pod out and blow it out with some compressed air. At least give that a try before flying, test like you did in the video. You can also use Mission Planner to test each motor individually.

Me personally, I would take the motor apart to inspect and clean. You may want to just replace the pod and be done....

Doesn't sound like a bad bearing, because the sound is not uniform. If the esc were failing, then the motor would stop like the others.

Thanks for the advice. Can I inspect the pod without voiding the warranty and is it even still supported? Also, is there anywhere to order a pod that won't cost the price of a new drone?

Warranty is still supported. And yes the motor pod is user replaceable per 3DR. B&H Photo has the pods presently at about $50, possibly cheaper elsewhere...

Just my opinion, but likely it is something that got in the motor rather than a warranty claim. Based solely on the video and my limited knowledge of what can go wrong with motors in general. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000