I'm on the fence.....Solo vs Phantom 3

@Apparition I am close now. I will NOT have it repaired. If it doesn't fly today this is my final sign.

Its not a matter of waiting for me. I really dont need to Solo at this point as its useless without a gimbal. Its just a long trail of broken promises and misinformation for the last 2 1/2 months.

@Apparition I am close now. I will NOT have it repaired. If it doesn't fly today this is my final sign.

Its not a matter of waiting for me. I really dont need to Solo at this point as its useless without a gimbal. Its just a long trail of broken promises and misinformation for the last 2 1/2 months.
Too bad to be somebody who really wanted it but it just won't work out. I'm admittedly biased to the P3 because it's a simple all included system that works, I wanted the Solo to push development further faster.

Too bad to be somebody who really wanted it but it just won't work out. I'm admittedly biased to the P3 because it's a simple all included system that works, I wanted the Solo to push development further faster.

The problem is the Solo and DJI are not all included systems. I really wish that each of them made a monitor for the system. No more relying on a stupid App to run a 1K MP. Looks at all the issues both manufactures had with App's, and what device will work, is the processor fast enough......etc....

I wanted the Solo to push development further faster.

Well that may happen but I think they have about a year of catchup to do before they are pushing anything.

For my use the only thing that the Solo has over the P3 is cable cam and orbit. I have to think DJI will implement those soon.

I think right now, thats all the solo can claim is better.
However my list is still growing of things im excited about.

1. Acro mode. that video of flips etc in acro mode is sick. i know thats not your style rich, but man, if they unlock much more potential in GPS mode, this thing will be ZIPPY
2. More camera modes (skies the limit)
3. expansion bay - parachutes, gps tracker, 2nd camera, grappling hook :)
4. Expandable battery. Because the top is open, you could really double the size of the battery.
5. along with 5. more battery = bigger motors. easily replaceable, larger motors to accomodate payload or longer flight times.
6. Courses - like you did with your p2v+ . plot it out, let it fly and record.

All that plus my Headplay FPV coming tomorrow. im pumped. unfortunately i cant use the headplay with my p3p because of no hdmi out. but i can use it with my solo :)

I been on the fence too. I know support is better but geez I don't want to have to use them. Everyday brings another video of another incident. The Facebook page is blowing up. Sure some peeps are not having issues but since it's random they could be next. The latest video is what appears to be a 3dr rep giving a demo flight. It takes off hard right and hits somebody.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I thought I saw this on another forum and it was determined that the young woman flying lost orientation and panicked?
I just don't see the point. Google Phantom crashes and flyaways, same with Inspire. Google flyaways and crashes with Blade and Yuneec's line of quadcopters. Nobody is immune from firmware issues and/or inexperienced pilots. There is no "winner" nor is there a "loser" and we need to drop that football mentality when it comes to multirotors.
3DR has had a less than flawless launch. DJI has never had a new product introduction without some hitches. Both companies make quality products. I love my Phantom 1, love flying it. Same with my P2, that is my FPV drone and long distance flyer. Love the look and feel of my 3DR Iris+, it is great fun to fly, like a big spider. And the Solo is very nice and has the most potential of any quad on the market at the moment.
To declare any one of those a "winner" relative to the others would just be silly.

Reactions: Raybro and 1013D
1. Acro mode. that video of flips etc in acro mode is sick. i know thats not your style rich, but man, if they unlock much more potential in GPS mode, this thing will be ZIPPY
2. More camera modes (skies the limit)
3. expansion bay - parachutes, gps tracker, 2nd camera, grappling hook :)
4. Expandable battery. Because the top is open, you could really double the size of the battery.
5. along with 5. more battery = bigger motors. easily replaceable, larger motors to accomodate payload or longer flight times.
6. Courses - like you did with your p2v+ . plot it out, let it fly and record.

Yes most of this would be nice so I agree. I don't care about the Acro as you sad but a GPS mode that flies 55 to high tail it home would be great.

Unless you can move fast and implement that stuff quickly the Solo will be old technology before it happens. I am just not getting a warm fuzzy feeling that 3DR is capable of doing that. It's all lip service so far. 3DR show me the money !

Got mine today, took it up and down a few times with about 9 satellites and 0-8mph wind in an open field with a few trees here and there. Worked without incident, stayed pretty steady. After reading these forums, I was scared to death.

Still trying to figure out how to control the camera from the app, so far with no success. Maybe it needs the gimbal to turn it on mid-flight.

Still trying to figure out how to control the camera from the app, so far with no success. Maybe it needs the gimbal to turn it on mid-flight.

There is zero camera control without gimbal. All you can do is manually turn it on and it will feed video back to your controller.

You will have to keep it manually charged as well as without the gimbal there is no way to charge it. All this is done via the GoPro port on the back.

Yes most of this would be nice so I agree. I don't care about the Acro as you sad but a GPS mode that flies 55 to high tail it home would be great.

Unless you can move fast and implement that stuff quickly the Solo will be old technology before it happens. I am just not getting a warm fuzzy feeling that 3DR is capable of doing that. It's all lip service so far. 3DR show me the money !

I agree with the above, but with a little more understanding of the heart of the machine. The Pixhawk series of controllers are the best out there. And you will hear that a lot from those that have used it to build their quads and hexes. I even used in my TBS Discovery Pro that was designed around the Naza. The problem with the Pixhawk II for the Solo is that 3DR wanted to market it to the masses and put it in general retail electronics stores. To do that, they had to 'dumb' it down a LOT. The brains are still there and can be accessed for those that wish to and for incredible 3rd party scripts and devices. You want a RTH at 55, no problem as long as the machine it self is capable you can set it that way. But they are not going to put that kind of control in the stock set up for the BB crowd that is still crashing from nose in hovering.

That is why I will support it as is and with the future features to come. I know what it is capable of and know that with 3DRs history and customer support it will get there, and at a much faster pace than others. DJI can and does make excellent product. It's the company and people at the top that sucks and I will not support them. But as a consumer, that is my choice and my opinion.

And unlike others on some forums, I will never look down or say a negative to anyone that choose to fly DJI or any other product, as a consumer that is their choice. Like I said, DJI has excellent product and are a market leader in some areas. They are a lot like Apple in that regard; excellent products, just not for me. I started with an Apple II in 1977 with 16k of memory. At that time, Apple was completely open and encouraged 3rd party development with full access to the expansion slots. They were the market leader. Then they got an ego and everything became closed and needed their OK. Since then, for almost 40yrs, their market share has bounced from 5-13%. They still make some of the best product in the world, but still wish to remain closed systems.

Reactions: Raybro
I made a rookie mistake and just realized that the DJI Phantom3 shoots stills in DNG format, while the GoPro doesn't. That's a big thing for photographers. Ugh...

I think that is the most interesting part of the Solo, being able to get into the controller and tell it what you want it to do. I want to learn The ins and outs of it. I liked using Ground Control on my Phantom but I just can't get any support on it, that and it is glitchy. The Tower app is pretty fascinating in regards to all the settings and parameters you can set.
I still have my head up for 3DR and their products. I have never owned a 3DR product but have heard many good things about the Pixhawk controller.
It was a tough roll out and several bumps in the road but I feel things will get smoother in a month or so. I thought long and hard before I bought the Solo so it's staying with me.

@Jubalr I have no doubt you are correct. Everything have read about Pixhawk says it is the way to go.

But you will have to admit that 3DR for all practical purposes is a new company when it comes to manufacturing and providing support at this level. Sure they were are already a good company before this and provided excellent support from what I am told.

But they have new obligations to investors and have large amounts of product and support to deliver. There is going to be growing pains as with any new or growing company. Maybe I am wrong but I am envisioning two totally different operations pre/post Solo.

I just think they pushed the Solo to market because of the P3. I don't think its a bad product and my failed update today does not make me think it is. My issue is the compilation of broken promises, failed ship days, incorrect information, and finally the failed update.

Above all, I just don't think they can make the Solo into what I need it to be before the hardware is old technology.

Now on the flipside of my being nice I did open the Solo up today to take a look and once the battery "tray is out there is 4 screws that hold in the mainboard. One screw was missing and one was half out. Not real thrilled about the other two as I think they should get a plastic loctite or something.

3DR promised me a call back today and I hope they do. There is only 45 minutes left in their day so time is running out.

The most aggravating thing about all this is I strongly dislike Wang at DJI and I might have to give my "peeing on phantom" coffee cup to my friend Ryan @Dunginhawk here in town !

I really did not won't to be flying a DJI again.

Reactions: Sarah B
@Jubalr I have no doubt you are correct. Everything have read about Pixhawk says it is the way to go.

But you will have to admit that 3DR for all practical purposes is a new company when it comes to manufacturing and providing support at this level. Sure they were are already a good company before this and provided excellent support from what I am told.

But they have new obligations to investors and have large amounts of product and support to deliver. There is going to be growing pains as with any new or growing company. Maybe I am wrong but I am envisioning two totally different operations pre/post Solo.

I just think they pushed the Solo to market because of the P3. I don't think its a bad product and my failed update today does not make me think it is. My issue is the compilation of broken promises, failed ship days, incorrect information, and finally the failed update.

Above all, I just don't think they can make the Solo into what I need it to be before the hardware is old technology.

Now on the flipside of my being nice I did open the Solo up today to take a look and once the battery "tray is out there is 4 screws that hold in the mainboard. One screw was missing and one was half out. Not real thrilled about the other two as I think they should get a plastic loctite or something.

3DR promised me a call back today and I hope they do. There is only 45 minutes left in their day so time is running out.

The most aggravating thing about all this is I strongly dislike Wang at DJI and I might have to give my "peeing on phantom" coffee cup to my friend Ryan @Dunginhawk here in town !

I really did not won't to be flying a DJI again.
I understand completely Rich! You and I both shared some aggravation with the broken promises and failed launch. I hope that as a good company, they will learn and prosper from these mistakes and I believe they will. If not, I'll be looking at some of the others that are coming on strong...

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Looking at the big picture, it's sophistry to release the helicopter when the gimbal is unavailable. The whole point is to offer a "flying camera," to borrow from DJI. From what I've read, the gimbal doesn't even go into production till the end of July. 3DR should have hired more engineers to have all the components ready at the same time.

It's basic marketing, smashing consumers in the mouth with the best possible punch you have. Trickling out the components of the system piecemeal dulls enthusiasm, and engenders unfavorable reviews of the product. This is not a good thing when a company is chasing Best Buy and Amazon consumers.

hmmm... The posts today may have me canceling my order's. Ugh. I thought I made a good decision too..

I'm in for the long haul with Solo and 3DR for the time being. I really don't have anything to complain about except for the crappy stock controller antennas. Mine has been otherwise excellent from day one with a few minor hiccups. I think it will become a great product moving forward that will offer a ton of customization.

I don't hate DJI but i'm not a fan of their firmware restrictions. The only time i needed support from them was for my 2.4ghz ground station. The antenna wires were damaged on the air end and they used that damn black epoxy on the connectors. Support told me they don't fix those components and i needed to buy another. I decided to just sell it as is and eventually sold all my DJI gear.

You never know who else will come along in this market in the future but I'm hoping for good things from 3DR.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc