If you fly around water a lot this is the bees knees

And keeping it upright!
I wouldn't expect that rig to do any better than keep it floating near the surface long enough to retrieve it, and then only floating to the belt. Parts are going to get wet. I would think the gimbal would be the most difficult to salvage following a dunking. May be some hope for the rest.

I just need to do a practice flight. Looks like it should be worse in the wind, than a stock Solo.

All this talk about floatation reminds of that one time when...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I still have no explanation for the sudden drop in altitude.

Do many people use gps trackers affixed to drone to aid recovery on land or in water? What is good tracker to consider?

I did some calcuations, well excel did. You'll need a minimum of 112 cubic inches of displacement just to be neutrally buoyant, with Solo at 4Lbs dead weight. I factored that you'd need at least 150 cu.in. to have the flotation device to expose above the water. A 4x4x9 inch hollow cube would be 144 cu.in., just to give you a running start on a flotation idea of your choice.

Could someone test out if my calculation are correct with their Solo....;)

Do many people use gps trackers affixed to drone to aid recovery on land or in water? What is good tracker to consider?
Yes search the forum for "marco polo". It's probably the best option because it uses it's own 900Mhz transmitter/receiver with up to 30 days standby power and doesn't rely on gps/cell service (works everywhere) and no monthly subscriptions. Up to 2 mile range. Not sure about it working if submerged in water though...

I did some calcuations,..

Could someone test out if my calculation are correct with their Solo....;)
Rich- I made flotation for my Solo according to your specs and went out and threw it in my canal - and it sank to the bottom. Can you come over with your dive gear and fish it out for me?? :(

Reactions: bluesgeek
Crap, did I say Solo, I meant brick...try with a brick. My diving days are over, too much helium abuse.

You may have measured wrong, measure twice, cut once....;)

Reactions: bluesgeek
There's a solo pilot who installed round styrofoam balls to each leg. I recall he said he could land in water if needed.

I think their are a lot of people who uses gps trackers for land recovey but not sure on water though!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986