Idea for a new smart shot

Reaction score
So I have an idea for a new smart shot, and I'd like to hear what people think.

I've always liked doing large panoramic stills. I used to stitch individual photos together by hand, but now software does an amazing job automatically (Microsoft's Image Composite Editor is a great, free app that'll do it. Google it if you're interested).

Anyway, it doesn't seem like it'd be THAT difficult to have a smart shot automate the capture of a number of stills. The Solo could rotate a few degrees, take a still, rotate some more, take a still, maybe even repeat the sequence with the gimbal pointing the camera down a bit to get additional rows of photos. I'm pretty sure Microsoft's ICE can take out lens distortions in the process, and if we finally get full GoPro control, the app should be able to automatically switch to a narrow FOV for the stills. So, you'd frame your shot, specify how many degrees wide and tall, and the Solo would take a series of photos with enough overlap to stitch all together.

Thoughts? Potential issues? If people think it's a good idea, I'll suggest it to 3DR.

Reactions: erikgraham
I actually had this idea a few months ago and sent it to 3DR as a possibly smart shot. Someone also posted it for me to the 3DR beta group I believe as well.

This should be doable with Tower. Minus the automated calculation of the fov/yaw requirements.

So I have an idea for a new smart shot, and I'd like to hear what people think.

I've always liked doing large panoramic stills. I used to stitch individual photos together by hand, but now software does an amazing job automatically (Microsoft's Image Composite Editor is a great, free app that'll do it. Google it if you're interested).

Anyway, it doesn't seem like it'd be THAT difficult to have a smart shot automate the capture of a number of stills. The Solo could rotate a few degrees, take a still, rotate some more, take a still, maybe even repeat the sequence with the gimbal pointing the camera down a bit to get additional rows of photos. I'm pretty sure Microsoft's ICE can take out lens distortions in the process, and if we finally get full GoPro control, the app should be able to automatically switch to a narrow FOV for the stills. So, you'd frame your shot, specify how many degrees wide and tall, and the Solo would take a series of photos with enough overlap to stitch all together.

Thoughts? Potential issues? If people think it's a good idea, I'll suggest it to 3DR.
Sounds like an idea! I would submit it to 3DR.
Made for Solo Survey

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado