I need help - Battery unloads fast

Reaction score
Hey guys?
I bought a 3DR SOLO, gimbal, extra batteries (2) recently I noticed that my batteries are last 10:30 and 12:30, before I had a 15 min. average. I tested with gopro silver 3, 3+ and 4 black. Nothing has changed.
I also changed the speed of movement for both slow and fast and the consumption was exactly the same.
How to increase the battery life? Is there the possibility of making a battery that has a greater autonomy?
I saw some posts here in the forum of a user who made a battery but has no way of knowing how much is being downloaded, does not show in the control display because it does not have the intelligent system of it.

High energy LiPo batteries don't last forever, especially if not treated well. Don't store them empty or full (empty is worse). Ideally put them away at 40-50% charge. Don't store them in your hot car, or your refrigerator. Sing lullabies to them ever night (just kidding on the last one).
Also Solo will draw the most current in a hover or aggressive maneuvering. Actually flying around at a reasonable forward flight speed with extend your flight time.

hi Andrew, I stop using when it gets 20% charge, sometimes I let it load overnight but I realize that the charger has a smart system that stops charging when the battery is 100% correct?

Is it possible to build a battery that lasts longer for Solo?

So once you charge the battery to 100% do you just put it on the shelf until next time you fly? Once in a while this is OK but it will reduce the capacity of the battery over time.
Battery technology is improving, but LiPo batteries are still the industry standard for high current devices like Solo. Maybe in a couple of years there will be something better.

Got it.
Thanks for the help, would you be able to create a battery that has a larger flight capacity?

Got it.
Thanks for the help, would you be able to create a battery that has a larger flight capacity?

This has been discussed so many times already, increasing the size of the battery will increase the weight of the battery, which will require more energy to keep the drone in flight. I believe there was a topic about this where someone doubled the battery capacity and it only gained aprox. 2-3 minutes of flight time. Not worth it.

At one point 3DR was rumored to have been working on a larger battery but that never came to fruition, and now it certainly wont since they have moved on to the commercial drone space.

So to answer your question, yes it is possible to create a battery that has a larger flight capacity, but you be better off to just pay $50-60 for another battery and just swap them out instead of investing time energy and money into building a larger battery just to gain 2-3 min of flight time.

I personally have 2 batteries at the moment, and that is adequate for me, netting me around 30 min of flight time. In the future I possibly might purchase a 3rd one, going through 3 full batteries would be between 45 min and an hour of flight time, which is more than enough for me.

Klineka, do you use the gimbal?
i have 2 batteries and esch batterry that last 12 and 10 min.

sorry for asked about the batterry, I'm new ....

thanks for your attenttion guys.

Klineka, do you use the gimbal?
i have 2 batteries and esch batterry that last 12 and 10 min.

sorry for asked about the batterry, I'm new ....

thanks for your attenttion guys.

Yes I do use the Gimbal, I typically record my entire flights and so far my clips have been 13-15min, and I have been landing when they get to about 20%, haven't gone below 15%. Both of my batteries are brand new, so that might be a factor, are yours used or new batteries?

I'm a bit lost on the Ground, about the news what has to be released either from 3DR or from modifications made by users that could improve the experience.
Here in Brazil we have nothing formal in relation to drones, in the last month a law has been passed for the drones of our civil aviation (ANAC), we have many bureaucracies involved but it is a given step.

If you can help me get acquainted,

Thank you in advance for your help.

thank you

I bought my batteries without ebay, but I believe they are brand new, but I use gimbal, does it reduce the time it takes to use it? (Because of the cardan)

Before I had a longer time when I did not use, as you said, the more generated weight makes the motors need more force to maintain, another doubt, the Smart mode causes the batteries to be discharged faster? Or is this a myth?

I bought my batteries without ebay, but I believe they are brand new, but I use gimbal, does it reduce the time it takes to use it? (Because of the cardan)

Before I had a longer time when I did not use, as you said, the more generated weight makes the motors need more force to maintain, another doubt, the Smart mode causes the batteries to be discharged faster? Or is this a myth?

I believe the gimbal does reduce the flight time slightly. when you say smart mode, I think you are referring to the different smartshots that the solo can do? If so, I have not used those in my first 3 flights so far so I am not sure if those reduce battery time or not. I might get to fly tonight so I will try some of those out and see if I notice any reduction in flight time

The weight of the gimbal and GoPro have a significant affect on flight time (-5min). The power the gimbal and GoPro use has quite a minor affect on flight times.

Smart mode is the way you need GPS to fly and the other mode is the manual, I understand that the GPS signal requires a considerable consumption of a device to work, or am I talking bullshit?

I'm doing some tests with my Solo, using 3 types of gopro, 2 types of speed, slow and very fast, making sudden movements like quick stops, accelerations, vertical and horizontal.

I did not do the tests removing the gimbal, but when I did my first flight (without the gimbal) the battery lasted an average of 15 min.
I'll put this option in the test.

In relation to the cameras do not hear variation of consumption, I thought there could be a variation, but there was not.

I bought the gimbal to do some filming (practical wakeboard, just for fun)
Without gimbal the videos are very shaky.

Do you have any thoughts on how to slow down your videos with normal support?

You will need the gimbal for smooth video.
I recommend you just fly a normal comfortable speed.
The GPS is always on when Solo is powered. Smart Shots do not use any additional power.

Have you tried charging the batteries with a non standard lipo battery charger at a very low amperage. Just a thought.
Please read up on this before you do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40