How long has it taken you to get a response about a support ticket lately?

Reaction score
Just wondering how long to expect before I hear back from 3DR about a possible warranty coverage of my takeoff crash. I sent them the ticket and flight logs nearly a week ago. I'm guessing with their reduced staff they are unable to stick to the 48-72 hour policy for responding?

I just got done chatting and they said they estimate 2-4 weeks for me to hear back.

Just wondering how long to expect before I hear back from 3DR about a possible warranty coverage of my takeoff crash. I sent them the ticket and flight logs nearly a week ago. I'm guessing with their reduced staff they are unable to stick to the 48-72 hour policy for responding?

Oh wow! I sent one in on a week ago when my Solo just flew into a wall on landing! Broke gimble. Bought a new gimble now won't read it. Guess it's time for an Autel!!

I had a bad landing with my solo (landed, motors didn't shut off, thing throttled back up and flipped over). Sent in the log ticket from the controller and heard back within 48 hours. I was not expecting that at all due to everything I'd heard about them letting people go etc. However the follow up to the discussion, that took about 2 weeks. Luckily the drone was fine and they gave me some good advice about the kill switch etc (hey I'm a newbie, I'm learning the hard way). Anyway, just glad I got it all sorted out, still, was impressed with the initial response time and since everything was fine, I'm guessing I just got downgraded in importance after that.

I was going to start a thread about my recent crashes but I'll piggy back onto this one and start a thread some other time......my 4 recent flights ended up in crashes, take off crash, hard left fly away crash, up up and away fly away crash and an into my house with no control input crash. That's not counting several hard, flip over landings. The gimbals are shot and several other parts needed too, not counting many props. All are Rev. B boards and are flown in open areas in good weather...WTF?? Is that what these Solos do? I bought 11 of the cheap BB bundles, sold all but 3. If it takes weeks for 3DR to get back to us on a ticket then it's time to sell, or junk...one problem after the next.

I was going to start a thread about my recent crashes but I'll piggy back onto this one and start a thread some other time......my 4 recent flights ended up in crashes, take off crash, hard left fly away crash, up up and away fly away crash and an into my house with no control input crash. That's not counting several hard, flip over landings. The gimbals are shot and several other parts needed too, not counting many props. All are Rev. B boards and are flown in open areas in good weather...WTF?? Is that what these Solos do? I bought 11 of the cheap BB bundles, sold all but 3. If it takes weeks for 3DR to get back to us on a ticket then it's time to sell, or junk...one problem after the next.

As a rule, no, this is NOT what Solos do.

I also fly with a Rev B GPS. These have limited capability. At least 3 of the crashes you mention could be GPS related. The fact that the Solo crashed into your house tells me that the Solo was not in an open area when it crashed. It may have been at some point during the flight, but when it gets below the tops of trees and buildings it is no longer in an open area. I learned this with another brand of drone before I purchased a Solo. The odd behaviors when flying a drone in a mode using GPS below tree and building tops is not unique to the Solo - only made worse by the limitations of the GPS that Solo uses. An upgrade can help, but not eliminate this.

I have not had a single crash with my Solo, but if I'm flying below tree and building tops I fly in Fly:Manual Mode. In Fly Mode, if you lose Sololink connection or GPS lock the Solo will either try to return home, drift, or try to move to a coordinate that is now inaccurate - resulting in a crash if you are near objects or can't switch to Fly:Manual and take over control quickly.

I'd suggest two things:
1) Download an app like UAV Forecast or other application that can show you the number of satellites within view at a given time and the impact of obstructions on the horizon - also factors in Solar Flares which is another important factor. This will help demonstrate how few satellites are available with a Rev B GPS when you have as little as 15 degrees of view blocked by trees and buildings.
2) Program your A button on your controller for Fly:Manual and practice with it.

As a rule, no, this is NOT what Solos do.

I also fly with a Rev B GPS. These have limited capability. At least 3 of the crashes you mention could be GPS related. The fact that the Solo crashed into your house tells me that the Solo was not in an open area when it crashed. It may have been at some point during the flight, but when it gets below the tops of trees and buildings it is no longer in an open area. I learned this with another brand of drone before I purchased a Solo. The odd behaviors when flying a drone in a mode using GPS below tree and building tops is not unique to the Solo - only made worse by the limitations of the GPS that Solo uses. An upgrade can help, but not eliminate this.

I have not had a single crash with my Solo, but if I'm flying below tree and building tops I fly in Fly:Manual Mode. In Fly Mode, if you lose Sololink connection or GPS lock the Solo will either try to return home, drift, or try to move to a coordinate that is now inaccurate - resulting in a crash if you are near objects or can't switch to Fly:Manual and take over control quickly.

I'd suggest two things:
1) Download an app like UAV Forecast or other application that can show you the number of satellites within view at a given time and the impact of obstructions on the horizon - also factors in Solar Flares which is another important factor. This will help demonstrate how few satellites are available with a Rev B GPS when you have as little as 15 degrees of view blocked by trees and buildings.
2) Program your A button on your controller for Fly:Manual and practice with it.

Great info, thanks for that. I did buy 2 GPS upgrades and the Alfa antennas but never installed them. I'll have to look a little more in depth into the things you mentioned, maybe it's a height and proximity / GPS issue. Some of the video shoots my son used it on are at low altitudes and close to structures, on one shoot the Solo just turned into the side of a house while passing by it several feet away. When it (we have 3) hovers, in a no wind condition, it seems to move around at will. Thanks, again...I'll get back with my succusses or failures...LOL

Great info, thanks for that. I did buy 2 GPS upgrades and the Alfa antennas but never installed them. I'll have to look a little more in depth into the things you mentioned, maybe it's a height and proximity / GPS issue. Some of the video shoots my son used it on are at low altitudes and close to structures, on one shoot the Solo just turned into the side of a house while passing by it several feet away. When it (we have 3) hovers, in a no wind condition, it seems to move around at will. Thanks, again...I'll get back with my succusses or failures...LOL

GPS upgrades will help with what you describe - do the upgrade. It will give Solo more satellites to lock with and have better positioning.

The Alfa antennas will make things worse in your case. Stay with the original omni directional antennas. Since you are in close proximity of the Solo, signal strength shouldn't be an issue. The Alfa antennas are directional and could actually cause signal loss if they aren't pointed directly at the Solo at all times. This would result in a RTH and since you are near objects could cause a crash.

GPS upgrades will help with what you describe - do the upgrade. It will give Solo more satellites to lock with and have better positioning.

The Alfa antennas will make things worse in your case. Stay with the original omni directional antennas. Since you are in close proximity of the Solo, signal strength shouldn't be an issue. The Alfa antennas are directional and could actually cause signal loss if they aren't pointed directly at the Solo at all times. This would result in a RTH and since you are near objects could cause a crash.

Good to know, are there any other upgrades or accessories that you recommend? In addition to the gps modules & antennas I bought the 3dr sun shades, the larger controller batteries and the Polar Pro lights so far.......

Good to know, are there any other upgrades or accessories that you recommend? In addition to the gps modules & antennas I bought the 3dr sun shades, the larger controller batteries and the Polar Pro lights so far.......

Since I only know a little bit about how you use your Solo, I can't make any recommendations beyond those that affect what you have shared.

Which upgrades and mods to spend money on or when to use them depends on a number of factors including budget, use, location, preference...

If someone doesn't do it before me, I'll start another thread titled "Upgrades and Mods to Consider".

Reactions: IrishmanPDX

Since I only know a little bit about how you use your Solo, I can't make any recommendations beyond those that affect what you have shared.

Which upgrades and mods to spend money on or when to use them depends on a number of factors including budget, use, location, preference...

If someone doesn't do it before me, I'll start another thread titled "Upgrades and Mods to Consider".

Here's another range extension accessory recommended for the Solo, ITELITE DBS Range Extender Antenna ITE-DBS03.3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela