Hero 4 Black with Peau 5.4 lens vs Hero 4 at Narrow

Reaction score
What is the difference - optical, aesthetically, and resolution - between the Hero 4 Black filming at Narrow view, and the Hero 4 Black with Peau 5.4 lens? Thanks

Well besides no fisheye there is about 2x zoom so the FPV experience is more realistic compared to stock lens on a GoPro or Phantom. The 2x zoom makes it look closer to what you would see with your eyes.

I dont think there is a narrow in 2.7 or 4K. I think that is 1080 only. I think you can pick up medium view in 2.7 but have not tried it.

On the downside if you use your GoPro for other handheld uses the Peau 5.4 ruins the camera as looks shaky to hold by hand.

Yes, limited to 1080p. Was wondering if Narrow view matched the Peau 5.4. Did you install the Peau lens yourself? Thanks.

Yes I installed it myself. It looks a lot different than the old lens on 1080 but cant remember going down past medium.

Also it makes not having a gimbal even worse !

Anybody experienced obvious flicker on hero 4 black or other hero cams too really? Seems like it's adjusting for light or dark but over and over again back and forth. Happened yesterday a lot I reformatted my faster card to use and reset the settings I'm going to test here in a bit. Seems it's at its worst at dusk and dawn which is far from being ideal since this is to me the best time to record. Any ideas?

I Also want to try this lens but reading the results I've seen here am waiting to see if it works better on the gimbal. I don't mind if otherwise it's unstable I have a hero 3 too and doubt I'll ever use either much beside on a copter anyway

I'm interested in trying this kens as well

2.7k on medium at 60fps is your friend now AND when the gimbal comes in.

Check it out, as you can zoom on the footage if you only want 1080 as well.

Ryan G

Reactions: Nolan
This is all good to know. After checkin out footage/reviews from the 5.4mm I've noticed pros and cons. There's a drop in resolution from 12 mp to 10 mp. The aperture isn't as open on the Pearu at 3.0 as it is on the Gopro at 2.8 So, it's not as good in low light situations but it settles the jello many suffer from without the need for an ND. In some situations.

This is all good to know. After checkin out footage/reviews from the 5.4mm I've noticed pros and cons. There's a drop in resolution from 12 mp to 10 mp. The zoomed in look is appealing because it gives a cinematic look at an equivalent of 35mm, however the naturally aspirated zoom does cause a fair amount of background jitter. So, even though I like the 35mm cinematic look, at times I wonder if it's zoomed in just a tad bit too far. So. If anyone decides to go with this lens , let's hope the gimbal 3drs working on is on par with the latest gimbal on the Phantom pro. Or better. Which I do believe the time effort, R&D, and delayed shipping behind it all is due to having the best result possible in mind. Because nobody wants to go through the effort of buying a new lens for a more cinematic look, and achieving it, only to find out that the gimbal they have to use doesn't prevent jitter infinitely requiring them to resort to post image stabilization of any kind. Nothings wrong with it but that's the ENTIRE purpose and point of the gimbal. The aperture isn't as open on the Pearu at 3.0 as it is on the Gopro at 2.8. So, it's not as good in low light situations but it settles the jello many suffer from without the need for an ND. In some situations. Due to the more closed aperture. However, while looking it up, I noticed that there are some other lens options out there for the Gopro you choose to use on your Solo. At the same time, some might ask why the need for a 35mm when the stock lens can produce aerial images like Northern Roads by Newman films. I say it's a great lens of the gimbal is going to be on point. Or you have the best software for post image stabilization. If not check out the other lenses available. :) :) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela