Hero 4 Black freezing

Reaction score
On occasion I'll get solo set up for a flight, attach and turn on gopro and find that there is no video in the solo app. On two different occasions i found that the gopro was locked up and needed to have its battery removed and reinserted. Anyone else ever experience this? Perhaps there's a correct sequence that I'm not following? I don't have a gimbal. When I first purchased the solo and go pro hero black I returned the first GoPro because it would freeze when attaching the USB cable on occasion. This one seems to be related to HDMI. And to add insult to injury... after fooling with the GoPro and pulling the battery then plugging the HDMI cable back in and powering on I forget to press record. Sumumabitch!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

On occasion I'll get solo set up for a flight, attach and turn on gopro and find that there is no video in the solo app. On two different occasions i found that the gopro was locked up and needed to have its battery removed and reinserted. Anyone else ever experience this? Perhaps there's a correct sequence that I'm not following? I don't have a gimbal. When I first purchased the solo and go pro hero black I returned the first GoPro because it would freeze when attaching the USB cable on occasion. This one seems to be related to HDMI. And to add insult to injury... after fooling with the GoPro and pulling the battery then plugging the HDMI cable back in and powering on I forget to press record. Sumumabitch!

I've had the exact same thing happen with both a Hero4 Black and Hero4 Silver. The Silver seems more reliable than the Black but overall I'm not impressed with the reliability of these cameras.

When mine locks up I just hold down the power button on the camera for around 10 seconds. Don't think you need to remove the battery to get it to come alive again.

Interesting. I'll try that next time it happens. I logged a support call when i first noticed this behavior with my first camera and support said they never heard of it. I told him to search his knowledge base for "freezing" and he said he doesn't see anything. I call BS. I told him to search Google for the same and then he shut up.

I had freezing when my card was not up to speed. make sure you have an u3 class10 or better especially if your filming 4K

Interesting. I'll try that next time it happens. I logged a support call when i first noticed this behavior with my first camera and support said they never heard of it. I told him to search his knowledge base for "freezing" and he said he doesn't see anything. I call BS. I told him to search Google for the same and then he shut up.

GoPro told me the exact same thing. "Freezing ? Really ? Never herd of that". Then I told him to go Google freezing gopros and tell me how many hits you get ;)
The Black was returned to GoPro and exchanged for a new one. I sold the Black and tried a Silver which seemed to be a lot better. However recently it's starting to lock up again. I do think that the CF card plays a part, but overall these cameras should be way more reliable than what they are.

Have you been able to reproduce the freezing at all? I haven't done much testing to see if I can reproduce the problem but if I ever manage to do so I will engage gopro support until i get an explanation. When I exchanged my first GoPro I had planned on not upgrading the firmware until I encountered a freeze but I couldn't hold out because there were some features in the new firmware that I couldn't go without.

Have you been able to reproduce the freezing at all? I haven't done much testing to see if I can reproduce the problem but if I ever manage to do so I will engage gopro support until i get an explanation. When I exchanged my first GoPro I had planned on not upgrading the firmware until I encountered a freeze but I couldn't hold out because there were some features in the new firmware that I couldn't go without.

I cannot get it to reproduce at will, but when I last talked to GoPro support, their attitude was just to return the camera and you get a new one (which may also freeze up ;) )

not an SD card issue?
You tend to read a lot of posts suggesting that the SD card could be the cause for pretty much every gopro ailment but what does the sdcard have to do with anything when the gopro is just sitting there idle with an HDMI connection? The SD card I'm running is the fastest they make in terms of megabytes per second transfer rates. All of the freezing issues I've ever encountered have always occurred when the camera wasn't even recording.

From the GoPro site:
Camera Freezes Up

What's the issue?

The camera freezes up.

Where does it apply?

• HERO4
  • HERO3+
  • HERO3
  • HD HERO2
  • HD HERO Original
  • HERO
  • HERO+LCD
How to fix it

If your camera is freezing up, that usually means that you need to update the camera's software or there are some issues with the SD card. Here's some information on SD card recommendations. Here are some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue for you: Before proceeding make sure that you have turned off Wi-Fi and removed any BacPacs.

NOTE: Before proceeding make sure that you have turned off Wi-Fi and removed any BacPacs (not applicable with the HERO, HERO+ LCD and/or HERO4 Session).

1. If your camera is currently frozen, try to reset the camera by holding the MODE button for 10 seconds (hold the SHUTTER button on the HERO4 Session).
  2. Should the camera not prompt a reset, remove and then reinsert the battery to get it unstuck (for cameras with integrated batteries, Step 1 will imitate a battery pull).
  3. Make sure you have the most current software on your camera. Click here for instructions on how to check the software on your camera. If you're not sure you have the most current software on your camera, we recommend redoing the software update. Check out these pages for all of the latest camera software updates:
  4. If you have the most current camera software, you may need to re-update the camera software.
  5. Try reformatting the SD card using the DELETE ALL function in the camera settings. Here are instructions:
  6. Determine whether removing the SD card from the camera alleviates the freezing (i.e., power the camera on without an SD card and see if the camera freezes while navigating the menus).
  7. Try a different, known good SD card. We recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through reputable resellers. Check out our Recommended SD Card list. There are both counterfeit and underperforming SD cards out in the marketplace, which can prevent proper functioning of your HD HERO camera's features.

You tend to read a lot of posts suggesting that the SD card could be the cause for pretty much every gopro ailment but what does the sdcard have to do with anything when the gopro is just sitting there idle with an HDMI connection? The SD card I'm running is the fastest they make in terms of megabytes per second transfer rates. All of the freezing issues I've ever encountered have always occurred when the camera wasn't even recording.

Yep, it's the easy way out to blame the SD card. I bet the SD card may be contributing to the problem, however the camera itself should be robust enough to recognize a problem card and not freeze. Perhaps store data at a lower rate or not even store at all.

From the GoPro site:
Camera Freezes Up

What's the issue?

The camera freezes up.

Where does it apply?

• HERO4
  • HERO3+
  • HERO3
  • HD HERO2
  • HD HERO Original
  • HERO
  • HERO+LCD
How to fix it

If your camera is freezing up, that usually means that you need to update the camera's software or there are some issues with the SD card. Here's some information on SD card recommendations. Here are some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue for you: Before proceeding make sure that you have turned off Wi-Fi and removed any BacPacs.

NOTE: Before proceeding make sure that you have turned off Wi-Fi and removed any BacPacs (not applicable with the HERO, HERO+ LCD and/or HERO4 Session).

1. If your camera is currently frozen, try to reset the camera by holding the MODE button for 10 seconds (hold the SHUTTER button on the HERO4 Session).
  2. Should the camera not prompt a reset, remove and then reinsert the battery to get it unstuck (for cameras with integrated batteries, Step 1 will imitate a battery pull).
  3. Make sure you have the most current software on your camera. Click here for instructions on how to check the software on your camera. If you're not sure you have the most current software on your camera, we recommend redoing the software update. Check out these pages for all of the latest camera software updates:
  4. If you have the most current camera software, you may need to re-update the camera software.
  5. Try reformatting the SD card using the DELETE ALL function in the camera settings. Here are instructions:
  6. Determine whether removing the SD card from the camera alleviates the freezing (i.e., power the camera on without an SD card and see if the camera freezes while navigating the menus).
  7. Try a different, known good SD card. We recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through reputable resellers. Check out our Recommended SD Card list. There are both counterfeit and underperforming SD cards out in the marketplace, which can prevent proper functioning of your HD HERO camera's features.
I'd like to see a bullet point 8 :)

8. Upgrade your GoPro to the new firmware where gopro have recognized a problem in the camera firmware and have fixed the issue where the camera does not freeze anymore. Your video may be stored at a lower resolution/fps due to a 'problem' SD card, but your camera is still running :)

I'd like to see a bullet point 8 :)

8. Upgrade your GoPro to the new firmware where gopro have recognized a problem in the camera firmware and have fixed the issue where the camera does not freeze anymore. Your video may be stored at a lower resolution/fps due to a 'problem' SD card, but your camera is still running :)

GoPro has no new update aside the last one in July. I've been asked to re install update perhaps it was corrupt. Done that twice already and my GoPro is even worse. Got fired on a music video set cause GoPro freezes every 5 seconds after powered on. I am so upset wasted my whole day on a shoot.
If not for the solo I don't think I will have needed a GoPro all my life. Yet I have the best GoPro in the market and I'm scared of people hiring my drone service because there will be an deliberate mess up by the GoPro 4 black.
If this issue isn't sorted out anytime soon I will have to get a phantom instead of a solo without working camera that cost a lot.

Reactions: pappachris
GoPro has no new update aside the last one in July. I've been asked to re install update perhaps it was corrupt. Done that twice already and my GoPro is even worse. Got fired on a music video set cause GoPro freezes every 5 seconds after powered on. I am so upset wasted my whole day on a shoot.
If not for the solo I don't think I will have needed a GoPro all my life. Yet I have the best GoPro in the market and I'm scared of people hiring my drone service because there will be an deliberate mess up by the GoPro 4 black.
If this issue isn't sorted out anytime soon I will have to get a phantom instead of a solo without working camera that cost a lot.
I have seen several reports of the GP4 freezing like this and they sent it back to GP and got a replacement. Obviously, this is not the norm. Using a GP4 bk my self.

C
I have seen several reports of the GP4 freezing like this and they sent it back to GP and got a replacement. Obviously, this is not the norm. Using a GP4 bk my self.

Cool to know that, the only issue now is shipping from Africa and back. Well I hope to get a replacement anyways.

Definitely not a freezing issue. But I'm not sure if some are aware, when you plug the video screen backpack thing into a GoPro, it has a menu option to turn off the camera after 60 seconds of nothing happens (i.e. Press record or change menu options). Again, the only time this menu option is available is when something is plugged into the back port (like when in the gimbal). I realized this on my discovery pro. I'd power up and do a couple pre flight things and my camera would be off. Since I didn't have a backpack video screen, I had to plug into the gimbal, power up and scroll through the menu options using the front of the GoPro (not the iPhone app, this option isn't available via the GoPro app).

Just thought I'd chime in and let you know about this option to turn off this feature.

Mine freezes at least twice a day. I have to remove the battery, holding button for any length of time won't fix it. And I have all the recommended cards, and it does it with all of them.

I have GoPro4 black with freezing issue. I have to pull the battery.

I was flying a mapping mission yesterday and after 212 photos, it locked up. This was about 70% of the way through the mission. I didn't catch it until it landed. I flew mission again and it worked fine.

I've also noticed the camera gets really hot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea