Here is why we get a bad rep.

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maybe you have seen this, but the first part of the clip is of a Phantom clearly flying in the airports flight path. He literally clips the end of the wing of the aircraft destroying the wing. I am sure the pilot landed safely, but you can see the pilot of the drone was going after the plane.

What an idiot

The first one with the jet is CGI and fake and is not a Phantom as they don't have angled landing skids. Number 2 was a fixed wing aircraft. The others were all several years old. Not to discount the stupidness but this type of thing happens with everything. Someone will always abuse something, be it automobiles, kitchen appliances or skateboards. Humans do stupid stuff, no argument there.

This just reinforces the need to be a responsible flyer and a good steward to the hobby. :)

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Yeah, that's a pretty old piece of propaganda. True, it is a fake. But the news media loves this stuff.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Well, I guess it fooled me. I apologies for putting up the link without checking it out more research.

Sorry guys

In our Operators course we spent an hour looking specifically at UAV and the media. As several of the folk on the course worked in this area it was pretty interesting. "Drone" "UAV" "RPAS" and other descriptors are specifically used by Internet based media as 'click bait' placed in specifically to get hits from search engines and so more clicks on a site - and they don't care if what they write is true or (as one guy admitted) totally made up just to get the words out there......

Click bait is a business model these days. Put a crap ton of advertising on a website >> Create a headline that will bait people to click on it >> Share on social media, where millions of people don't read beyond the headline anyway and share it to millions of other people >> Gain advertising revenue when people click on it. The actual content of the website/story is completely irrelevant. It's simply used to fill in the white space between the advertising banners.

Reactions: RobertT
Two things about the media...
  1. They never let facts get in the way of a good story, and
  2. If it bleeds, it leads...
These are the things of profit apparently.

The actual content of the website/story is completely irrelevant. It's simply used to fill in the white space between the advertising banners.

The content isn't just irrelevant, it's intentionally sensationalist and/or controversial to elect a response and desire to share. To that end, entirely fabricated scenarios are fair game.

I believe the video of the drone crashing through the building was also proven to have been faked. Look at the hole in the glass... does that really look like a large drone fit through? The motors also stop immediately upon crashing through the window despite seeing at least one of the props intact (if you step through). Every time I've crashed a quad, the motors keep spinning until I stop them or the flight controller registers a crash, which always takes at least a few seconds.

The one where the guy gets beaned in the head is the only legit one on there. The wedding one was clearly done with the connect of the couple, and animal one was stupid but at least not towards people or some fool loosing control.

This video IS part of why we get a bad rap, but that doesn't mean a lot of it isn't BS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela