Here GPS

No problem I'll be having her in bits tomorrow evening so I'll post the tomorrow.

And perhaps a measurement of the overall length of the cable. There is a guy custom making these at a reasonable price, but I think it is a 12" cable, and I am curious if that is a good length...

And perhaps a measurement of the overall length of the cable. There is a guy custom making these at a reasonable price, but I think it is a 12" cable, and I am curious if that is a good length...

Sorry guys I've been on call all evening and it's been crazy.
I'll take the photos tomorrow

With regard to the cable length.
I just cut the plug off the gps and compass cables and the here and soldered them on using the above colour scheme.

I would say a 12 inch cable is 12 inch too long.

I still have nearly 3 inches of play available the way I did it.

Not saying save your $$$ just saying I do believe that cable is far too long.

I'll show you all tomorrow.

Right time for food.

Catch you all later.

Sorry guys I've been on call all evening and it's been crazy.
I'll take the photos tomorrow

With regard to the cable length.
I just cut the plug off the gps and compass cables and the here and soldered them on using the above colour scheme.

I would say a 12 inch cable is 12 inch too long.

I still have nearly 3 inches of play available the way I did it.

Not saying save your $$$ just saying I do believe that cable is far too long.

I'll show you all tomorrow.

Right time for food.

Catch you all later.

I think it is supposed to plug into the Here and then into the Solo. I figured the end at the Here wouldn't be hardwired? Is it hardwired?

Reactions: Sargemo
Wow that's a big gps, .3 HDOP is crazy. Need to figure out how to make it fit into the backpack with that bad boy:)

It folds down.

See pictures.
Sorry not fantastic quality taken on my garage floor.

Yes I have carpet in the garage, got to feel at home in my man garage. Lol

Well, I spend most of my life in here faffing with this and that lol

Last screen shot is in now in my brick garage with a bedroom above it, NO clear line of outside.

This thing is amazing.

IMG_8090.JPG IMG_8091.JPG IMG_8092.JPG IMG_8093.JPG IMG_8094.JPG IMG_8095.JPG IMG_8096.PNG

Would you recommend the Here as a GPS upgrade rather than the Mrobotics option (Coming from Rev A GPS)?
Did the riser kit come with the Here?

It depends what you want.
The MR0 is a direct plug and play 5 minute fit and go.

The Here you have to splice the cables for the GPS and compass.
Then "figure" a way to fit it.

Ok,

The Here was designed by the guy who designed the Pixahawk green cube and he has said he realised to get the best Ublox GPS available it would not fit into the space provided in the Solo. So the Here was born.
It also has a compass built in which being elevated, as the GPS, does not suffer from magnetic or electrical interference from the solo.

The mast is a generic folding GPS mast from eBay (8.49GBP)

The Here was 49GBP

So now you have all the info available.

Right as to the MR0 or the Here.

I have both and I would say if you prefer the aesthetics of Solo as she is (which I do) and your not proficient soldering cables drilling holes, and if still in warranty, losing your warranty, stick with the MR0 it's easily swapped back (if required) and from a rev A board you will be megga impressed.

On the other hand if you like to tinker and are happy soldering etc, and want the best GPS from Philip Rowse then go for the Here.

I intend to get 2 of my solos in the air one with the MR0 and one with the Here and record them hovering together. As such I will have a direct comparison.

But that's going to have be another day.

Reactions: RDA and Jose969
Soldering cables: Not for a long time. Warranty: No. Drilling holes: No problem. I have just got the drone (last weekend), was well impressed with stock. I am considering either Here GPS with some wiring fun and mast or Drotek M8N as plug and play internal from a cost perpective from the UK or should I just buy the MRO and pay the difference in cost?

I wanted ease of installing first off so I got the MR0.
It is very very good. 20 sats in 30 seconds.

Can't comment on the Drotek.
If you get the MR0 don't be too upset if you pay about £30 importation duties on it.
(Just a heads up)

Reactions: RDA
Ok - The mrobotics gps would be just under £120 into uk with the second slowest delivery option and import duties! The drotek is £67. The here is £54 with next day dpd delivery, plus about £10 for a mast. I am intrigued about the new pnp gps mentioned on the facebook solo mod club group, I will wait and see what this is, but i might make a mini awacs. Does the here have any noticeable difference on battery life?

Lol but that's a grand. Philip has no gps in the solo and 4 "base stations"

The MRO is brilliant piece of kit.

The only difference to the drotek I can see is it's plug and play. The standard plug has to be "altered" unless you also buy the drotek to solo cable ?optional extra)

The Here is far cheaper but takes far more work to fit.

TBH, it's a piece of p@ss to do.

Sorry, battery???

Why should it. It's a gps module and a compass. The light indicators are very good as you can see if you have gps. They do light down wards too.

LED lights nothing noticeable at all with battery consumption.

By mini awacs I meant standard Here on a mast, not the multiple ground station array. I get sat lock in about 2 mins (8-9 sats)in Lancashire in a fairly built up(occluded los of full sky) area with stock. I ideally want a rock solid gps lock with minimum cost and tinkering, but I am trying to work out the best option. Cable soldering not a problem (I think) but PCB soldering another matter! I wasn't sure of current draw of here gps regarding battery - lol. The drotek I am mentioning is is 3dr solo M8N pnp board, not the generic one.

Last edited:
Checkout post #5

It is really simple.
I just cut the end of the cable off the Here, I bought a spare gps (standard) cable (drone side) and cut a plug off. Bought another compass leg, cut the compass off and soldered them all together as #5.
Altered compass orientation in mission planner from 38 to 0 turned it on did a compass calibration and all sorted.

I now get a gps lock (cold start in about 15-20 seconds)

That's 15-20 satellites depending what's in the sky at the time.

Reactions: markato
I can't wait. I have my 3D printed folding mast, Here is in the mail, next week the plug and play wire harness should be ready. Does anyone know what the disadvantage would be to attach the Here to the accessory bay??

Reactions: TigerPhoenix
I'm on with it with 2 x Here GPS units.
I'll set it up with GPS blending on the Green Cube then report back.

Apparently if you have the standard Pixhawk on the Solo it will only switch between the 2 I have heard also it's a bit jumpy when it switches (standard Pixhawk) I'll let you know how I get on.

Can wait to see what it looks like with 2 masts and being a dual AWACS lol.

I'm on with it with 2 x Here GPS units.
I'll set it up with GPS blending on the Green Cube then report back.

Apparently if you have the standard Pixhawk on the Solo it will only switch between the 2 I have heard also it's a bit jumpy when it switches (standard Pixhawk) I'll let you know how I get on.

Can wait to see what it looks like with 2 masts and being a dual AWACS lol.

How are you thinking of mounting the second mast? my thoughts at the moment are to come out both sides rather front and back. Got the second Here on order. Just got to get the accessory board, but think they are on back order.

I can't wait. I have my 3D printed folding mast, Here is in the mail, next week the plug and play wire harness should be ready. Does anyone know what the disadvantage would be to attach the Here to the accessory bay??

It needs to have a clear view of the sky, so you can't mount it directly to the bottom of the copter. You could however, design an arm or two that holds the Here above the copter that just happens to attach to the accessory bay.

Reactions: markato
Yes I know I'm thinking of two folding wing mounts to bring them both out of either side.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela