Here GPS

Reaction score
Eventually....! got the Here GPS up and running on the experimental Solo.

Wow.

I have 3 solos.

(1) Doner solo is on a Version A GPS
(2) Playing solo MRO.
(3) Experimental solo Here.

In the back garden tonight all within 3 feet of each other.

(1) Version A = 7 satellites and a hdop of 1.1

(2) Mro = 12 satellites and a hdop of 0.8

(3) Here = 18 satellites and a hdop of 0.3

So I swapped positions so they were in a like for like comparison.

No difference.

FYI the next door neighbour has a massssssive conifer in his back garden and I have trees and conifers also.

The most I have ever seen in the back yard is 15 satellites and a hdop of 0.7 on the Mro.

Obviously I have not flown in the back yard as far too much over hangs from the trees.

So, I will fly them tomorrow evening if the weather is good on the farm and see which one is the steadiest and how good the RTL is in comparison.

It's cool now I can create a flight plan then save it as a mission. I can do the same flight for each one giving a perfect comparison.

A very happy Steve. :)

I will post some pictures of the here on the experimental solo tomorrow.

Fly safe everyone.

I like the mro form factor but anyone has to recognize that an exterior mount gps was bound to be superior. You made it sound as if it were a pain to install and get working. Is it strictly plug and play with light mods for wiring?

Not a whole lot of details on their web site, $58.00 is a good price for a real u-blox M8N based receiver with 3.01 firmware. Any pictures of the actual install or the internals would be nice. Glad it's working ok for you! M8N is a far better receiver than the Neo-7N, no question, and the mRo uses the same identical antenna as the original Solo. So it is not really right for a GPS/Glonass receiver. With the proper antenna, the Here (if it is an M8N) should exceed the mRo's capability.

the here comes in two versions M8N and M8P one is standard one is RTK
interesting results, I may grab a here for my green cube solo.
When my cube arrives
They are landing but the final firmware and flashing process is not out yet
so I guess the delay is a good thing, else I would tinker with it

Eventually....! got the Here GPS up and running on the experimental Solo.

Wow.

I have 3 solos.

(1) Doner solo is on a Version A GPS
(2) Playing solo MRO.
(3) Experimental solo Here.

In the back garden tonight all within 3 feet of each other.

(1) Version A = 7 satellites and a hdop of 1.1

(2) Mro = 12 satellites and a hdop of 0.8

(3) Here = 18 satellites and a hdop of 0.3

So I swapped positions so they were in a like for like comparison.

No difference.

FYI the next door neighbour has a massssssive conifer in his back garden and I have trees and conifers also.

The most I have ever seen in the back yard is 15 satellites and a hdop of 0.7 on the Mro.

Obviously I have not flown in the back yard as far too much over hangs from the trees.

So, I will fly them tomorrow evening if the weather is good on the farm and see which one is the steadiest and how good the RTL is in comparison.

It's cool now I can create a flight plan then save it as a mission. I can do the same flight for each one giving a perfect comparison.

A very happy Steve. :)

I will post some pictures of the here on the experimental solo tomorrow.

Fly safe everyone.
Like to see pictures, I also have 3 solos, mRo, Rev. 1 and Rev 2. Dedicating one for manual flying.

Lol. It was the cabling that made it hard for me. You can buy a plug and play cable for it but I couldn't wait. So I "modified" the standard one.

As I say it was the cabling that made it awkward, but, I am colour blind lol

I just used the above colours in a number 1-number 1 basis.

Got it wrong once or twice then boom, it works.

You know when you have it right as all the lights do a merry dance on the Here.

I'll fly it and take pictures today hope it stays nice as the Suns out Here (no pun lol)
Yeah it looks like an awax lol.

Details and pics to follow.

Reactions: pyrate
AWACS Solo.

c673229e4946dc42eb91b3fc9da1b460.jpg

I look forward to seeing how this here gps works.
Does it replace the stock gps,so that the cable that normally goes into the stock gps is now rerouted to the new external here gps, as this is my understanding after reading this thread.

Yes it does. It also removes the compass.
This is an upgrade to solo, which I am waiting for my green cube to arrive, before I move over to master.

You have to splice the cables from the "standard gps" and "standard compass" as both are now in the here.

This prevents the possibility of electro magnetic interference from the solo to the "standard" gps/compass as they are elevated away from solo.

Works fantastic.

Can't really say as yet about any "specific" difference from the MR0 but as I say this is a working project.

Only had a quick 10 minute burst as it started raining.

Let you all know how I get on

Where are you?
I'm in the UK and it cost me £49

I think it's about $58 USD

Oh I forgot to mention
If anyone is going to do this you have to alter one parameter in mission planner.

Compass orientation from 38 to 0 (or none)

If you don't do this she flies a bit odd and crashes. Lol

Luckily I read this prior to flying.

[emoji106]

Reactions: TUCAN2016
This is great work. Would you be willing to post a photo of the cable work you did under the cover, for as you probably know, a picture says a 1000 words... [emoji3]

This is great work. Would you be willing to post a photo of the cable work you did under the cover, for as you probably know, a picture says a 1000 words... [emoji3]

No problem I'll be having her in bits tomorrow evening so I'll post the tomorrow.

Reactions: TUCAN2016

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle