Help Me Decide

Phantom 3 Advance or 3DR Solo?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Im a beginner and Im looking to purchase my first quad-copter finally. Im on the fence between the Phantom 3 Advanced and 3DR Solo.

Been researching the past week and from I've read:

Phantom 3 Advance Advantage
3DR Solo Advantage

• Better performing quad copter and faster
  • Work in progress, but I feel with more improvements the Solo will be better than the Phantom 3 advanced down the road (Firmware 1.3 update in November 2015 is proof)
  • Im not worried about a newer generation Solo 3DR because the company keeps future expandability in mind in the design/product vs the phantom 1, 2, and 3 where it seems like the last generation gets left behind.
  • Personally I think Solo's APPs are better and have better support
  • the SOLO 3DR is simply more "bad-ass" looking and more of a Man's Toy vs a Kid's
  • Although more expensive to have the quadcopter the way I want it to be. I feel as if I were to buy a Phantom 3 Advanced, I would still be thinking of the SOLO 3DR and feeling the need to have it.

I could be wrong in some areas, but like I said this is what Ive researched quickly in the past week. At the start of my research I was favoring the 3DR more than the Phantom 3. As Ive read a little more I turned away from the 3DR solo as the youtube video reviews were comparing the 2 and favoring the phantom more. As I researched more and more I found that those reviews were outdated and there arent much comparison reviews after the 3DR 1.3 update. Im seeing the 3DR Solo as a work in progress and being better than the phantom 3 pro/advanced down the road. It will indeed be more expensive with the add-ons and such, but at least it will be a product that I'm completely satisfied with.

With that being said, Im very tempted to take advantage of the 20% off 3DRs website right now, BUT...

there's a deal locally on craigslist right now for a Phantom 3 advanced (like new/drone only) for $700. Ive already spoke to the fella and I can pick up later on today or sometime over the weekend.

Help Me Decide.. Please.

Sincerely,
- Indecisive Guy with ADD

Last edited:
What helped me decide was the fact that 3dr was quick to help & replace most anything that wasn't right with the Solo.

In the first 90 days, if you don't like it, just return it. I would check to see what the warranties are today.
I have had mine for over 6 months, use it as much as I can & the only problem I had was 1 of the battery was losing charge time. Had a new 1 at my door 4 days later. Some people here destoryed their solo, had 3dr replaced everything even gopro cam.
Service is top of the line.

Happy New Years

Im a beginner and Im looking to purchase my first quad-copter finally. Im on the fence between the Phantom 3 Advanced and 3DR Solo.

Been researching the past week and from I've read:

Phantom 3 Advance Advantage
3DR Solo Advantage

• Better performing quad copter and faster
  • Work in progress, but I feel with more improvements the Solo will be better than the Phantom 3 advanced down the road (Firmware 1.3 update in November 2015 is proof)
  • Im not worried about a newer generation Solo 3DR because the company keeps future expandability in mind in the design/product vs the phantom 1, 2, and 3 where it seems like the last generation gets left behind.
  • Personally I think Solo's APPs are better and have better support
  • the SOLO 3DR is simply more "bad-ass" looking and more of a Man's Toy vs a Kid's
  • Although more expensive to have the quadcopter the way I want it to be. I feel as if I were to buy a Phantom 3 Advanced, I would still be thinking of the SOLO 3DR and feeling the need to have it.

I could be wrong in some areas, but like I said this is what Ive researched quickly in the past week. At the start of my research I was favoring the 3DR more than the Phantom 3. As Ive read a little more I turned away from the 3DR solo as the youtube video reviews were comparing the 2 and favoring the phantom more. As I researched more and more I found that those reviews were outdated and there arent much comparison reviews after the 3DR 1.3 update. Im seeing the 3DR Solo as a work in progress and being better than the phantom 3 pro/advanced down the road. It will indeed be more expensive with the add-ons and such, but at least it will be a product that I'm completely satisfied with.

With that being said, Im very tempted to take advantage of the 20% off 3DRs website right now, BUT...

there's a deal locally on craigslist right now for a Phantom 3 advanced (like new/drone only) for $700. Ive already spoke to the fella and I can pick up later on today or sometime over the weekend.

Help Me Decide.. Please.

Sincerely,
- Indecisive Guy with ADD
There are already several threads on this subject. Might save you some time..Solo vs The "White" guy... | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Reactions: Qwerty978
Thanks but would you buy a P3A for $300 less than retail price?
No, but that is just my opinion. Been flying MRs for years and had several of their products. No more.. But you will find plenty of varied opinions. Just as well to go a Chevy Truck site and ask 'Ford or Chevy?'.

here we go again, did you by chance ask this same question on the DJI forum?
How did that work out?

Using your own analysis, are you looking short term or long term.
If you plan on replacing this drone within a year go DJI if you are looking long term go Solo

here we go again, did you by chance ask this same question on the DJI forum?
How did that work out?

Using your own analysis, are you looking short term or long term.
If you plan on replacing this drone within a year go DJI if you are looking long term go Solo

No I havent lol.. as I see myself being more of a 3DR guy.. Im just checking to see if $300 off the P3A actually a good deal to you guys. I didnt want to deal with Phan boys from the other forums coming back at with with "youll be putting more money in the Solo".

But thanks for the tip! I really dont plan on replacing.

then go solo, it is by far more future proof the anything DJI is hocking at this price point. not to mention the customer service

Reactions: Qwerty978
DJI phantoms are prone to stress cracks, its a horrible design flaw and apparently is still a problem even w/ the new Phantom 3's.
My friend whos had his for a few months now is starting to develop them. Not too mention DJI customer service is complete ass. I havent owned a quad from them but I did send back a DJI Ronin. Took them 9 weeks to have that thing back to me.

My solo recently got trashed from a crash, not sure what the hell happened but sent the logs to 3dr just a few days ago.
They told me it was a motorpod failure and 3 days later they're having me send my unit back and my gopro for replacement.
3DR backs its customers... to me that is INVALUABLE. What's $300 when it comes to peace of mind.
I LOVE the controller and the look of the solo, everyone and their dog has a phantom. I wanted
to stand out a little and the solo just turns a lot of heads.
I get a lot " oh what kind of drone is that? "

Not too mention 3rd Solos are modular so they're meant to be upgraded over time, not replaced w/ an annual version w slight changes.

Thanks All! I ended up purchasing the 3DR solo, gimbal, and extra battery on December 31st with the 20% discount. It just arrived yesterday!!

Im really excited and I know I will not regret it.

Thanks All! I ended up purchasing the 3DR solo, gimbal, and extra battery on December 31st with the 20% discount. It just arrived yesterday!!

Congrats, just take it slow. Read all the tips and tricks from all the fine people here and you'll be fine!
Enjoy the new tool!

Last edited:

one more thing 3dr upcoming multi-cam and freelook features im 1million% sure DJI copying 3dr features again lol

DJI phantoms are prone to stress cracks, its a horrible design flaw and apparently is still a problem even w/ the new Phantom 3's.
My friend whos had his for a few months now is starting to develop them. Not too mention DJI customer service is complete ass. I havent owned a quad from them but I did send back a DJI Ronin. Took them 9 weeks to have that thing back to me.

My solo recently got trashed from a crash, not sure what the hell happened but sent the logs to 3dr just a few days ago.
They told me it was a motorpod failure and 3 days later they're having me send my unit back and my gopro for replacement.
3DR backs its customers... to me that is INVALUABLE. What's $300 when it comes to peace of mind.
I LOVE the controller and the look of the solo, everyone and their dog has a phantom. I wanted
to stand out a little and the solo just turns a lot of heads.
I get a lot " oh what kind of drone is that? "

Not too mention 3rd Solos are modular so they're meant to be upgraded over time, not replaced w/ an annual version w slight changes.
and DJI are now struggling software bugggsss.. (world leader camera drone bugs with future of flyaway)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M