Help!! Go Pro Settings for Video and Photos

Reaction score
My Solo just arrived along with a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I have never used either before and wondered what the best settings for the GoPro are.

I want to shoot video and also take some stills of outdoor wedding ceremonies. I understand that on the controller I can take photos by pressing some of the buttons so I was thinking of shooting video in 4k and taking photos when needed using the controller. Is that possible?

Looking at the GoPro, if I want to shoot video and photos I can shoot in 4k just 1080p?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
1080 60fps and medium seem to be best I've found others recommended these to me as well. Unfortunatley you can't take stills or control gopro until we get the gimbal you just get your video feed from the connection for now. All you mention will be possible as soon as you attach the gimbal and obviously the video will look top notch at that time as well but it's another decent sized investment. It is going to be needed though to get footage that youl be happy with doing weddings. Good luck hope all goes well read through some of the issues posted here there's some things that will help you be prepared in case you have any problems,gps issues have been the most common but not the only issue we've been seeing.

My Solo just arrived along with a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I have never used either before and wondered what the best settings for the GoPro are.

I want to shoot video and also take some stills of outdoor wedding ceremonies. I understand that on the controller I can take photos by pressing some of the buttons so I was thinking of shooting video in 4k and taking photos when needed using the controller. Is that possible?

Looking at the GoPro, if I want to shoot video and photos I can shoot in 4k just 1080p?

Thanks
DO NOT USE WIFI on GoPro You cant not take pictures with controller ...You must start controller then solo your app (tablet or phone) Last turn on Go Pro ...you can get stills every 5 or 10 seconds but on gopro you must set it to do that in gopro in manual it tells you how to do it..When gimbal come out you will have total control of Go Pro then with app ....

Reactions: Adimuzio513
DO NOT USE WIFI on GoPro You cant not take pictures with controller ...You must start controller then solo your app (tablet or phone) Last turn on Go Pro ...you can get stills every 5 or 10 seconds but on gopro you must set it to do that in gopro in manual it tells you how to do it..When gimbal come out you will have total control of Go Pro then with app ....
Good call should have prolly mentioned this as well.

Good call should have prolly mentioned this as well.
If I can Help I will .....I can't remember everything also ..People having problems with hero 3 + also
So posted about why or what could be there problem ...come to find out firmware could have been corrupted..learning everyday lol

Thanks

You can also get stills from video in the GoPro Studio software. You can only get the stills from video that has been converted though.

Reactions: Microsprint
Thanks for all your help guys, looks like for now I will use Video and Photos option in GoPro, 1080 and Medium FOV and set the timer to take photos every 30 seconds.

Just need the Gimbal to arrive, its been ordered.

I have a related question. I was under the impression that I could start/stop the video from the Solo App. Is this possible through the HDMI connection? Thanks.

I have a related question. I was under the impression that I could start/stop the video from the Solo App. Is this possible through the HDMI connection? Thanks.
Nope. That's only with the solo gimbal.

KRVer is correct Andy only with gimbal .....DO NOT USE GO PRO WIFI WITH SOLO make sure it is turned off

Just took Solo for its first flight, everything went well apart from the fact I had no video feed from the Gopro. Is there anything I need to do to get a live video feed?

I turned on the controller, then solo, then opened the app, then turned on the GoPro?

Is this the right sequence is there another order to do things?

What device are you using? With iPhone or iPad make sure you close out the app completely. Force close it then restart it. I have heard some other devices are not compatible at all for live feed.

Its all sorted, I'm using an ipad mini. What I did was close the ipad down completely, then re-start it. Used the following sequence powering up:

Solo
Controller
Link solo wifi
Open app
Plug in GoPro & Switch it on
Hit Fly Solo and hey presto - live feed is there.

Glad it's sorted. You don't have to restart the iPad every time. Press the home button twice, swipe the solo app up. That force closes it. Then restart the app. Must do this every time or no live feed. No idea why.

My sequence is GoPro, Solo, Controller, Wifi connection, App.....wait for GPS while I look at the nice grass on my tablet screen...

If I can Help I will .....I can't remember everything also ..People having problems with hero 3 + also
So posted about why or what could be there problem ...come to find out firmware could have been corrupted..learning everyday lol
I have a hero 3+ ... can't get live feed... just got it back from 3dr on rma for this issue thinking it was the cable. ... still no live feed... how do I update firmware on hero3

I updated thru the GoPro app on my iPhone.
I did find the solution for me on another conversation. ...they order in which I powered things up made the difference for me. I thought I tried all the combos but this one worked in my case.

Got my Solo, GoPro 3+ And iPad Mini 2 last Saturday. All firmware was updated and devices all charged and Solo calibrated. I am a total novice at this and did not know there was a preferred start-up sequence. I have just been making sure all the preflight things were done, but in no particular order, except that I turn on GoPro and set it to record last. Solo flys perfectly and I get streaming live video to the iPad Mini evey time. Should I be following one of the recommended sequences. I have learned a lot from this forum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo