Hello from Eagle Butte, South Dakota!

Reaction score
Just scored the Solo w/ Gimbal and extra battery from Best Buy for $350. Spend another $100 on an extra battery (3 in total now) and a Solo Backpack! Hoping to go pick them up from BB today. Looking forward to exploring this forum even more. Already looking into extending the wifi range of the drone. Any tips? Was looking into getting the DSLRPro's Horizon Range Extender.

Follow the training videos that 3DR put out if you're new to the Solo. If you have any trouble installing gimbal and getting smooth video, there is a thread here that will help fix those issues. HDMI cable needs to be routed properly and props need to be balanced. Assuming you have a GoPro, check the threads on firmware 3.0 vs 4. There was some loss of functionality with the upgrade of GoPro firmware to 4 so you might not want to do that. I'm using another range extender from FPVLR - FPVLR 3DR Solo Long Range Antenna Upgrade V.2 10.5DBI. I've got several Solos thanks to some of these 'deals', they all fly fine. I am going to replace my HDMI cable with one from Relish 3D and I've already balanced the props I use. Good luck with the new drone.

Follow the training videos that 3DR put out if you're new to the Solo. If you have any trouble installing gimbal and getting smooth video, there is a thread here that will help fix those issues. HDMI cable needs to be routed properly and props need to be balanced. Assuming you have a GoPro, check the threads on firmware 3.0 vs 4. There was some loss of functionality with the upgrade of GoPro firmware to 4 so you might not want to do that. I'm using another range extender from FPVLR - FPVLR 3DR Solo Long Range Antenna Upgrade V.2 10.5DBI. I've got several Solos thanks to some of these 'deals', they all fly fine. I am going to replace my HDMI cable with one from Relish 3D and I've already balanced the props I use. Good luck with the new drone.

All three of my GoPro's have the 5.0 firmware. Will that hurt me? I have seen issues with wires inside the drone touching the gimbal causing shaky footage. But is 5.0 firmware fine to run with? Or am I going to have to figure out how to downgrade?

EDIT: also what kind of distance do you get with your range extender? In real world use.

I'm not sure if anyone is using 5, you'll have to search the forum. Here is one (GoPro Hero 4 black/silver Firmware V5.0) I know that when GP v4 came out the camera no longer powered up with the Solo, you had to power up camera with its own power button. There are several threads here about GoPro firmware with regards to Solo operations.

I have not tested the FPVLR to the extent of its range. I do know that my signal is more solid than stock at 1200 ft (I can still see it with my eye at that distance). You can find folks who have gone out several miles with the FPVLR. (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
) I'm not quite that brave yet. If I lived in an area that wasn't too populated (less wi-fi interference) and easy to traverse I might go a lot further. I think you will be more limited by battery range than FPVLR range from what I have read.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc