Heliports - 5 mile rules like airports?

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Is there a 5 mile rule for heliports the same as airports?

There is a heliport in lower Manhattan near the ferry terminal.

If the rule applies, doesnt that mean we are violating the rule every time we fly (if you live in the city)?

I wanted to take some shots of lower Manhattan but dont want a 1.9 million $ fine afterwards.

Is there a 5 mile rule for heliports the same as airports?

There is a heliport in lower Manhattan near the ferry terminal.

If the rule applies, doesnt that mean we are violating the rule every time we fly (if you live in the city)?

I wanted to take some shots of lower Manhattan but dont want a 1.9 million $ fine afterwards.
I would think the same law applies ...

No at this point I'm fairly sure the 5 mile rule isn't for helicopter pads, but I too wanted to fly near the hospital I'm working at now and don't cause aircare. When the Atlanta ban was starting I remember talks about this and they weren't, but please don't fly close I'm not. While their not included yet, as soon as we start pushing it they will be, we just have to use common sense give them a good distance still, they don't takeoff and need a runway like a plane. They still fly lower than planes so if you fly within 5 miles at least do it a ways away and at low altitude so there's no reason for them to add em in.

Helicopters are my biggest concern when flying and if they add em wel be grounded near almost everything that we want to film beside nature. Around here there's a helipad nearly every 5 miles throughout the city and suburbs, so if we give em a reason wel be grounded everywhere. I see helicopters almost every day around here using the airspace well under 400 feet so if their around land or don't go anywhere near em. Every night a police helicopter flys a pattern over my house around the time I fly so I try to be down or low since I know it's coming.

Obviously what their doing has to trump what we are so just use common sense odds are if we are questioning if somethings a good idea it's prolly not. Fly safe and good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado