Hard cases/backpacks for the solo

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance. Being new to the drone world I am looking for a travel case for the solo. I see many hard cases that hold the solo pretty high above the top layer of foam causing the motor hubs to be pushed against the foam on the lids. Does this put unwanted pressure on the motors and arms of the solo? Would it be better to buy a case that keeps the drone motors away from the lid? Would a backpack be just as good of a choice. Looking at all the great videos taken by your guys I am thinking that it may be fun to take this on trips more that I first thought when I purchased the solo. Any help or guidance from the Pros out here.

I too wanted a hard case at first cause I wanted to safely travel with solo, but I ended up going with the solo backpack and it's plenty tough. It's made very well and I'm confident even in a car crash my solo would be safe as a baby in a carseat. The foam is very thick and rigid, straps are a seatbelt material not like normal packs and overall I can't see many cases being a lot tougher or if they are I see no reason for it. It also fits perfect either in the overhead or under the seat on commercial airlines, so no need to let them handle it, unlike most cases, which are too big. My final straw was the ability to throw this on when I ride my motorcycle instead of trying to bungee some contraption on my bike in hopes it stays.

Highly recommend the backpack and with the extensions solos motors still don't get any significant pressure on them. There are great cases out that I'd enjoy having, but I can't justify buying one with as well thought out and made as the 3dr solo backpack is.

Reactions: Acroduster
Looking for some guidance. Being new to the drone world I am looking for a travel case for the solo. I see many hard cases that hold the solo pretty high above the top layer of foam causing the motor hubs to be pushed against the foam on the lids. Does this put unwanted pressure on the motors and arms of the solo? Would it be better to buy a case that keeps the drone motors away from the lid? Would a backpack be just as good of a choice. Looking at all the great videos taken by your guys I am thinking that it may be fun to take this on trips more that I first thought when I purchased the solo. Any help or guidance from the Pros out here.

I don't see that being an issue with it sitting close as its cushioned and besides you don't want the Solo to move (the absence of space means things won't shift).

I got a GPC and you can check out my quick review @ my RCGroups blog

Both of you that responded, thank you for your input. I purchased the 3DR Back pack just as a way to accomplish both functions. Carry like a suitcase and/or hike with it. When packing up my stuff I found that the FPVLR extended range antenna fits nicely between the solo and the radio control with the stiff wires of it facing towards the tablet mount. Fits nice there and does not interfere with the solo legs, so I am pleased with the bag. I'm just not a fan of cutting away foam or walls to make extra things fit. It also fits all the GoPro stuff that a novice like myself would need and still hold 4 batteries,

Thanks again Adimuzol513 and FlexFanatic

best part of the back pack, fits nicely in overhead compartments. I took one with me recently and it actually surprised me

best part of the back pack, fits nicely in overhead compartments. I took one with me recently and it actually surprised me

It does fit nicely in the overhead, I tried under the seat but no go as it to big. I do find myself using my GPC hard case due to what it can store as I carry quite a bit of equipment to the field.

It does fit nicely in the overhead, I tried under the seat but no go as it to big. I do find myself using my GPC hard case due to what it can store as I carry quite a bit of equipment to the field.

Thanks again. I am sure I will out grow the backpack in time as I find all kinds of new adventures to capture so more stuff to buy. It will most likely become the quick-go-to bag. GPC and other bag/case suppliers need to make spots for extended range antennas. I am sure most of us will have them. But how big of a bag will people be willing to buy. I see quite a few foam cut out type bags the have a lot of wasted space. If they squeezed the items closer together perhaps an extended range antenna could fit without enlarging the case/bag or having to hand cut a space for other stuff.....just a thought.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea