Greetings from Norway.

Reaction score
Hi!

Have flown a Hubasan mini drone for a good 2 years now and have really enjoyed that a lot.
Grew up making loads of videos of things, even worked as a freelance news reporter for a couple TV-stations a few years back. Video on the Hubasan is useless and I just bought a GoPro Hero4 Silver a short while back. It all connected the dots for me so I went out and bought a Solo and gimbal to have fun with as well.
Unluckily I bought it just the day before i went to Guadeloupe for my holidays - and as inexperienced as I am flying larger drones and the rules for bringing them on the airplane back and forth (including the small caribbean airport) i decided to let it stay at home. Got to fly it a good 12-13 minutes the first evening to test it out and I am really looking forward to get back home and fly it more.

After shooting som videos here from the ground I do realize the mistake of leaving it at home - the shots would have been stunning.

Well, as Im new to 3DR I would love to get some input on what to expect from the drone and setup.
Currently I have read through loads of posts with great tips like setting the FLY:Manual mode to A or B ++ so thats all good. Looking for feedback on the more personal experiences and why this is the good choice of drone, its limitations etc.

Personally I have spent months to decide between the Solo and Phantom 4. Somehow I just concluded the P4 isn't really "good enough" when it comes to the autopilot functions. I am a Tesla driver enjoying Autopilot-functions every day, so I know very well the limitations of that despite its name and will practice the same awareness on the drone.

I will be back home on sunday and nearby we have a huge hydropower plant with a huge open field beneath it. Hope to try the drone more there (how much wind can there be before it should be grounded?). Is it risky of me to start flying near open waters? ;)

Reactions: bluesgeek
Welcome Norway. Can't with certainty tell you the max wind condition, but when winds started gusting today around 25MPH today, I packed it in. And my entire area is close to water... the Gulf of Mexico, Caloosahatchee River, and residential canals. Had my Solo about a month but still trying to avoid flying over water - not easy to avoid around here. No fjords though... :)

I think I have now counted three Tesla owners on this forum so between the Solos and Teslas, I suppose you are in good company.

cheers from florida....dont be scared of water or wind...it was 20+ here the other day and
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(sorry havent gotten a chance to get this into the editor yet)

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Reading all the different posts on here and elsewhere about drones (of all brands) flying away or loosing control I have been really nervous for both water and wind. In case of it loosing control I would want a pretty open space so I dont loose sight of it too early.

Decided today to give it a go (other than firing it outside my house and watch it hover) and had it fully loaded with the camera and set off at our nearby soccer field/play area for kids and families. Just put together a few of the shots and uploaded to youtube.
I am really impressed by the drone, its manoeuvrability and quality of the Gimbal without any mods. Had a 12+ GPS lock when I took off.
Settings for drone speed and camera speed are set to the next lowest level - I might be changing this up a tiny notch after a few more flights.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea