GPS upgrade.

Reaction score
I did the update by installing the mRobotics module and the version 2 shield. Believe it or not a couple of days ago I had 24 satellites and an HDOP of 0.5. What a great difference that update made in GPS reception. LOL!

Reactions: RDA and speatuk
Did the same upgrade, get 18/20 sats...however still drifts a bit and now and then loses GPS...Do I need to do anything else apart from the installation of the MRO i.e. Firmware refresh? to tell the solo the GPS has been changed? or is it simply plug 'n play?

cheers...

It should be plug and play, if you've bought this one;

mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade

The only mention is the option of changing the 3rd GPS system selection from the Russian (default) to the Chinese system. I haven't seen any post from anyone saying they have done (or needed to do) this though.

Thanks for the feedback. Yep that's the one I've fitted. Cost me about £100 by the time I paid VAT and import duty. I live in the UK. I saw somewhere a mention on 'lines of code' that selected the Sat system so kinda wondered if I had to delve into that. Way beyond my ability...

Hello again. I'm in the UK too (there are a few of us), southwest. I regularly get 18-19 satellites and an HDOP of 0.6 which is pretty good. I think it's well worth the investment. You'll see the HERE GPS mentioned too, but that is a little more involved.

(Next for longevity is batteries. There is a thread with someone flying with 'dumb' batteries, so it's not a crisis yet!)

Do you ever get the 'lost GPS' message on the controller? (can't remember the exact wording) I get it now and again which I find a bit surprising considering the sat count. The only thing I can think of is trees and or terrain...in a valley or between buildings. Only get it for a few seconds...keeps me focussed to say the least. I'm on the Scottish Border out in the sticks...loads of room to fly. Got a Phantom 2 and a Yuneec Q4K as well (and some fixed wing planes too) Got 3 batteries for the solo so ok for now.

To be honest only once since the upgrade, and that was flying very low along some sea cliffs. It's pretty steady.

Did the same upgrade, get 18/20 sats...however still drifts a bit and now and then loses GPS...Do I need to do anything else apart from the installation of the MRO i.e. Firmware refresh? to tell the solo the GPS has been changed? or is it simply plug 'n play?

cheers...

Did you reinstall the shielding, or better yet upgrade to the V2 shielding? It is still needed with the mRo GPS.
Remember even with a good GPS like the mRo, the copter needs to see lots of sky to be accurate. Trees, buildings and solar activity all conspire to weaken the GPS lock.

Here in the US. (Chicago to be exact) The upgrade was the best $40 USD I spent. With the stock set up GPS lock would take 3-5 minutes to get 7 SATs. Once I was in the air I may get as many as 12. After this plug and play install which literally took me 10 minutes to do, GPS lock is under a minute for 10. When in the air I easily get 20+. This past weekend had 24!! Solo lands with inches of where it took off. I did not have to do any re-programming, calibration or anything to that extent. Swapped the GPS cards and was out flying shortly there after. (now to look at that antenna upgrade for better range)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc