GPS Lost on Solo - FW 1.3.0

Reaction score
Hello all!

Just wanted to ask a quick question as I have never encountered this with my Solo. Updated my solo to firmware 1.3.0 and took Solo out for a morning flight. I had about 14 Sats with 1.7 HDOP. First flight was around 15 min with zero issues. Came back to do a battery swap, again GPS locked on with about 12 Sats this time. However this is where I encountered issues, about 2 min into the flight I lost all GPS and it put the quadcopter into manual mode. I managed to land it, but none the less a nerve racking experience.

I was just wondering if this is considered normal, or if I should have done something differently? Weather was overcast, but the GPS lock was quick and appeared strong.

Thanks!

Hello all!

Just wanted to ask a quick question as I have never encountered this with my Solo. Updated my solo to firmware 1.3.0 and took Solo out for a morning flight. I had about 14 Sats with 1.7 HDOP. First flight was around 15 min with zero issues. Came back to do a battery swap, again GPS locked on with about 12 Sats this time. However this is where I encountered issues, about 2 min into the flight I lost all GPS and it put the quadcopter into manual mode. I managed to land it, but none the less a nerve racking experience.

I was just wondering if this is considered normal, or if I should have done something differently? Weather was overcast, but the GPS lock was quick and appeared strong.

Thanks!

Hi Dukes, can you open a support ticket and send us the logs? This sounds mighty strange.

Hello all!

Thanks!
Same thing happens to me today? Never happened before. Please let us know what TS tells you.

Same thing happens to me today? Never happened before. Please let us know what TS tells you.

Will do, just wanting on 3dr to reply to my ticket. Received a response stating "Please allow 1-2 business days for the most accurate reply from our tech support team"

From 3dr

"I have analyzed the logs you sent and I could see what you described, the log shows that right after turning on the Solo after changing the battery it had 12 satellites, but before taking off those satellites went down to 8.
The difference between both flight was the altitude, in the second flight the highest altitude it went up was 120 meters, but from 60 meters you already had 10 satellites. On the second flight, the Solo was at 3 meters altitude and the highest satellites locked were 9. I know you weren't flying near the trees, but even if they are near the location and the Solo is at a low altitude they can affect, see image attached.

The only recommendation I can make you here is to raise the Solo's altitude to avoid this from happening, everything else that you did was the correct procedure. When the Solo changed to FLY:Manual mode, you raised the altitude making it easier to acquire satellites and when you triggered Land mode I could see the inputs to correct the drifting and avoid a flip after touching the ground.

This is basically what happened and why the Solo lost GPS reliability causing the change to FLY:Manual mode, if you have any other question please let me know."
JIDeQWJ14rkdhFXmwFnSMModE

Here is where my take off location was this morning, not sure how I was in a spot that would have any objects obstructing my sats....

11qsdtt.jpg

Not sure about your location, but where I'm at KP index was way up..
UAVForecast here was a NO FLY for the 1st time in weeks.... freakin sun...

I have apple app 1.2.1 solo 1.2.0 lost GPS as you described came inches from hitting a tree, fly manual practice paid off but it was a close call. KP index was 2, location central va.

I know it's not an official 3DR product, but I can't recommend this simple upgrade enough. I struggled SO much with satellites that I sometimes wouldn't even bother flying...I'd just give up after 10 minutes of searching. Since installing this, I get 5-6 satellites almost instantly (sometimes even indoors) and get full GPS lock usually within 2-3 minutes. Sat strength once in the air seems considerably stronger too!

Solo GPS Isolation Plate Mod Kit (Please Read All of the Description Carefully for Install Details)

(3D Robotics)

Nov 20, 9:17 AM

Hello Steve
I'm XXXXX from tech support, I will be assisting you.

I reviewed the logs you sent, the vehicle while at an altitude of around 32m lost conection to several GPS satellites, this caused a loss of GPS presicion so the SOLO switch to FLY:MANUAL mode to avoid any accidents due to the GPS loss. Altough it is odd that the vehicle lost GPS presicion with a clear view of the sky, it is possible that the satellites it lost just got out of range. Even so the vehicle recovered from the GPS loss quickly (log shows that 6seconds after the vehicle switched flight modes) allowing for the use of GPS assisted modes like pause and FLY.

The logs do not show any issues with your SOLO, I would recommend performing some short test flights if you get any issues please keep me posted.

Did 1 more test last night, no issues.
So far so good, Just odd.. "satellites it lost just got out of range"

Ok, something VERY weird is going on because I had this EXACT same issue with my solo, but I was on the 1.2 software. I was going back and forth with support last week on this matter. I am confident that this isn't just some fluke anymore. The tech support guys are super nice and helpful, but I think that there is something that is being missed by these guys. Emails are below...

***********@gmail.com>
Nov 12 (8 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to 3DR
cleardot.gif

Hey Ernie,

I don't think that would be necessary, but it was just a little concerning. Ill fly it a few more times and see if it happens again. If it happens again then I will send it in for an RMA.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Ernie (3DR) <[email protected]> wrote:
##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Ernie (3D Robotics)

Nov 12, 8:42 AM

Hello Landon

I apologize for the late reply, The vehicle lost connection to just 1 satellite when it was above the obstacles most likely because it was getting out of range from the SOLO, due to the onboard navigation filters that the SOLO uses sometimes that can trigger the flight mode failsafe, this doesn't mean that the vehicle lost total GPS connection it just means that the SOLO needs to readjust to compensate for the loss of precision and changes its flight mode to a non-GPS dependent one to avoid any accidents.

However if you feel that something might be wrong with your SOLO, you can send it in so the RMA team can have a look, just send me your proof of purchase and I can start the process.

Regards

Ernie Jabiel
[3DR Technical Support Engineer]
Supporting you 24/7
(858)225-1414
(855) 982-2898

*********@gmail.com>
Nov 9 (11 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to 3DR
cleardot.gif

Hey Ernie,

Thank you for reviewing the logs again, however, you guys don't see a problem with the drone loosing a connection with a satellite while flying at 65m (213ft)? There are no obstacles at that height that would cause interference with the unit. At 4m meters where it drops to 8 satellites is when I was manually landing the device because there were strong winds what were starting to make the unit drift away since the GPS stabilization was unavailable. At takeoff 7 - 8 satellites from that location is normal because of the trees, and I usually have an HDOP of 2.2 - 2.4 so that isn't abnormal.

By the way, I apologize if my tone sounds condescending, because that is not my intention. I am just concerned that there may be something wrong with my solo.

Thanks!

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Ernie (3DR) <[email protected]> wrote:

Ernie (3D Robotics)

Nov 9, 8:48 AM

Hello Landon

I reviewed the logs you sent and I'm Attaching an image from the flight log showing the GPS satellites connected(left scale) compared to the altitude of the vehicle(right scale), at altitude of around 65 to 70m we can see that the vehicle is losing then regaining connection with 1 GPS satellite most likely due to it being almost out of range, and although it is just 1 satellite when it goes back and forth like this it causes the position calculated by the GPS to lose precision so the vehicle switches to FLY:Manual to avoid any accidents, Later on we can see that as the vehicle loses altitude the GPS loss is consistent going down to 8 satellites when reaching an altitude of 4m.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Regards

Ernie Jabiel
Supporting you 24/7
(858)225-1414
(855) 982-2898

Attachment(s)
altitudevssats.PNG

********@gmail.com
Nov 8 (12 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to 3DR
cleardot.gif

Hi Ernie,

I have flown around here before without a problem in the past, and I fly at heights well above the trees. That should not have impacted my gps because in the log you should see I was at a height of at least 62 meters, and I had 10 visible satellites at the time. The explanation you gave simply does not carry much weight given the fact that the height alone is well above any obstacles. Can you please reevaluate the logs on my solo. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 8, 2015, at 18:00, Ernie (3DR) <[email protected]> wrote:

Ernie (3D Robotics)

Nov 8, 3:00 PM

Hello Landon

I'm Ernie from tech support, I'll be assisting you

I reviewed the logs you sent, the log shows that at the end of the flight the vehicle struggled to maintain GPS connection, so it switched to FLY:Manual to avoid any accidents caused by the loss of GPS presicion.

from the GPS coordinates on the logs it looks like the flight location will not have very good GPS reception as there are several tall trees and houses that can block signal at low altitudes, I would recommend flying in a more open location to avoid issues with the GPS reception.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Regards.

Ernie Jabiel
Supporting you 24/7
(858)225-1414
(855) 982-2898

Attachments

• altitudevssats.PNG
    altitudevssats.PNG
    32.9 KB · Views: 14

Members online