GoPro pink corner fix

Reaction score
I've got the Hero 4 Black and modded the lens to a 5.4mm one. Getting good footage (except for the weird flares) but I have the infamous pink corners. I understand that this is an issue due to a lens profile that GoPro installs in the camera for the stock lens. Peau Productions claims they can remove this profile so the pink corners go away, but sending in the camera from outside the US will be very costly an inconvenient. Since this is some kind of firmware hack it must be possible to do ourselves, right? I've tried to find out how, but I couldn't find the final answer. Anyone here know how to do this on a Hero 4 on latest firmware?

Service: Remove GoPro Lens Profile (No Pink Corners) – Peau Productions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This needs a GoPro beta firmware, it's likely to be easier to find a Unicorn than a copy of a GoPro beta.

I've created a LUT and I've posted somewhere on this forum so use the search for it. The LUT reduces magenta is the highlights (the magenta/pink is usually most noticeable in the highlights within the sky). The LUT was done against Protune footage.

I've got the Hero 4 Black and modded the lens to a 5.4mm one. Getting good footage (except for the weird flares) but I have the infamous pink corners. I understand that this is an issue due to a lens profile that GoPro installs in the camera for the stock lens. Peau Productions claims they can remove this profile so the pink corners go away, but sending in the camera from outside the US will be very costly an inconvenient. Since this is some kind of firmware hack it must be possible to do ourselves, right? I've tried to find out how, but I couldn't find the final answer. Anyone here know how to do this on a Hero 4 on latest firmware?

Service: Remove GoPro Lens Profile (No Pink Corners) – Peau Productions

I always wondered the same. There must be another way, other than sending it in to peau productions. Did you look on torrent sites? Someone must have that GoPro beta.

I've turned the internet upside down and backwards looking for a beta but with no joy. There's people with betas but all under NDA so they don't tend to leak.

So is the procedure to install a beta, do the firmware fix and then update to latest again? Otherwise the GoPro won't work with Solo right?

BTW, what's a LUT? Is it like a photoshop adjustment layer?

I've turned the internet upside down and backwards looking for a beta but with no joy. There's people with betas but all under NDA so they don't tend to leak.
I see. That sucks. I do a little search later myself. Maybe I have the magic touch, ha ha.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
So is the procedure to install a beta, do the firmware fix and then update to latest again? Otherwise the GoPro won't work with Solo right?

BTW, what's a LUT? Is it like a photoshop adjustment layer?

With the beta you can create an autoexec file with specific settings one of which turns off the lens profile. I'm assuming once turned off it stays off, so when you update the firmware in future it'd be fine.

KonradIT/autoexechack · GitHub

The problem is to run an autoexec file needs a beta...

A LUT is a lookup file for colours, so can be used in Photoshop, Premiere and most other editing software on the PC or Mac.

No it's not there. This site has hacks you can run once you've tracked down a beta.

yep it seems you would need to unpack the gopro firmware and on some file in there is this statement
CONFIG_LENS_OEM = y

This needs to be somehow set to n
but cant figure out how to do it

Yes that's my understanding too.

This looks like a tool for unpacking the firmware, so let's see if any of us can figure this out. Last one to hack the lens profile on the GoPro is a muppet. ;):)

AFT - Ambarella Firmware Toolbox

Who are our resident propeller heads?
of course then we have to find a brave soul who will flash their camera with it once modified

I believe I know the right guy for the job... let me see what he says.

I would try it, no problem.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
OK, I send my friend Mark Zuckerberg an email. He is pretty good with this kind of stuff. He told me once he started a website and it was all about coding, so I assume he is the right guy for the task. I forgot the name of the website though...

All jokes aside, I just email Konrad himself and I got a reply back right away... He said that you DO NOT need a beta firmware to do the mod!!!

thanks.

Sounds all good, if it could be done, but then you're also going to have to do the lens swap your self "Not to send it in", so if your planing to it all your self, then this is the way to go.
Just mentioning this, cause it's looks a little complicated to the swap.
Has anyone done the lens swap without any problems?

Sounds all good, if it could be done, but then you're also going to have to do the lens swap your self "Not to send it in", so if your planing to it all your self, then this is the way to go.
Just mentioning this, cause it's looks a little complicated to the swap.
Has anyone done the lens swap without any problems?
I changed the lens on my GP4Blk to a 5.4mm and it was a piece of cake.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea